How to reach hot spot

Hello everyboy!
Sorry for being dummy but I need help.
My hot spot is in 150-200 m from my window. My notebook internal
antenna (acer aspire1350) can't reach hot spot. I thought about
external antenna but the problem is taht I have no connector for it in
my notebook.
So I would ask you to help me to find a solution for the problem - I
need to connect my notebook to hot spot in 150 m from my house. I
can't DIRECTLY connect external antenna to my notebook. So what is the
cheapest solution for the problem?
Thanks a lot!

On 9 Jul 2004 05:02:36 -0700, aldapooh@mail.ru (aldapooh) wrote:

>Hello everyboy!
>
>Sorry for being dummy but I need help.
>
>My hot spot is in 150-200 m from my window.

Are you sure it's "your" hot spot? Do you own it or are you simply
trying to get a free internet connection from the local coffee shop?
Coffee shops will often try to limit the range of their wireless
access points to only cover their customers and not service the entire
neighborhood. I recently worked on a system to measure the distance
between the access point (via propogation delay) and the client radio
and thereby restrict the connection range.

>My notebook internal
>antenna (acer aspire1350) can't reach hot spot. I thought about
>external antenna but the problem is taht I have no connector for it in
>my notebook.

Well, the Acer uses the Realtek 8180 series for wireless. I think
(not sure) that it's integrated on the motherboard and cannot easily
be replaced.

>So I would ask you to help me to find a solution for the problem - I
>need to connect my notebook to hot spot in 150 m from my house. I
>can't DIRECTLY connect external antenna to my notebook. So what is the
>cheapest solution for the problem?

The cheapest? Open the laptop and find the antenna. It might be just
a trace on the motherboard. Cut the trace and attach a small pigtail
using RG-188a/u TFE coax cable. The other end of the cable would go
to an SMA connector. Keep the pigtail as short as possible and just
long enough to exit the laptop at some convenient point. Attach an
SMA to N adapter, some LMR-400 coax, to a suitable external antenna.

If that it too much work, it is possible to add a 2nd radio to the
laptop. Disable the internal wireless (in software). Plug in an
additional PCMCIA or USB 802.11b radio. Setup an external antenna.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

I'm sure you'll get more detailed info from others here, but it seems to me
that 150 meters is too great a distance for the average access point to
cover. Of course, you didn't specify what type of equipment powers your hot
spot.

JP
Indy Tech

"aldapooh" <aldapooh@mail.ru> wrote in message
> Hello everyboy!
> Sorry for being dummy but I need help.
> My hot spot is in 150-200 m from my window. My notebook internal
> antenna (acer aspire1350) can't reach hot spot. I thought about
> external antenna but the problem is taht I have no connector for it in
> my notebook.
> So I would ask you to help me to find a solution for the problem - I
> need to connect my notebook to hot spot in 150 m from my house. I
> can't DIRECTLY connect external antenna to my notebook. So what is the
> cheapest solution for the problem?
> Thanks a lot!

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Since your distance to "your" hotspot exceeds the range of normal cheap wifi
gear, I'm guessing it's not really "your" hotspot.

"aldapooh" <aldapooh@mail.ru> wrote in message
> Hello everyboy!
> Sorry for being dummy but I need help.
> My hot spot is in 150-200 m from my window. My notebook internal
> antenna (acer aspire1350) can't reach hot spot. I thought about
> external antenna but the problem is taht I have no connector for it in
> my notebook.
> So I would ask you to help me to find a solution for the problem - I
> need to connect my notebook to hot spot in 150 m from my house. I
> can't DIRECTLY connect external antenna to my notebook. So what is the
> cheapest solution for the problem?
> Thanks a lot!

150m seems too great a distance I'm afraid.

Tony

"Tony Vinayak" <tvinayak@optonline.net> wrote in message
> 150m seems too great a distance I'm afraid.
>
> Tony
>
> "aldapooh" <aldapooh@mail.ru> wrote in message
> > Hello everyboy!
> > Sorry for being dummy but I need help.
> > My hot spot is in 150-200 m from my window. My notebook internal
> > antenna (acer aspire1350) can't reach hot spot. I thought about
> > external antenna but the problem is taht I have no connector for it in
> > my notebook.
> > So I would ask you to help me to find a solution for the problem - I
> > need to connect my notebook to hot spot in 150 m from my house. I
> > can't DIRECTLY connect external antenna to my notebook. So what is the
> > cheapest solution for the problem?
> > Thanks a lot!

Consider a tin cantenna, using a wireless USB adapter and a 1 lb coffee can.
It did wonders for my distance problem. I am problably about 100 yards from
the antenna without clear line of sight.

For more info see the thread on this in this newsgroup.

--
Bob Alston

---

"Bob Alston" <bobalston AT aol DOT com> wrote in message news:<40f00c5e$1_1@newsfeed.slurp.net>...
> "Tony Vinayak" <tvinayak@optonline.net> wrote in message
> > 150m seems too great a distance I'm afraid.
> >
> > Tony
> >
> > "aldapooh" <aldapooh@mail.ru> wrote in message
> > > Hello everyboy!
> > > Sorry for being dummy but I need help.
> > > My hot spot is in 150-200 m from my window. My notebook internal
> > > antenna (acer aspire1350) can't reach hot spot. I thought about
> > > external antenna but the problem is taht I have no connector for it in
> > > my notebook.
> > > So I would ask you to help me to find a solution for the problem - I
> > > need to connect my notebook to hot spot in 150 m from my house. I
> > > can't DIRECTLY connect external antenna to my notebook. So what is the
> > > cheapest solution for the problem?
> > > Thanks a lot!
> >

> Consider a tin cantenna, using a wireless USB adapter and a 1 lb coffee can.
> It did wonders for my distance problem. I am problably about 100 yards from
> the antenna without clear line of sight.
>
> For more info see the thread on this in this newsgroup.

Thank you everybody!
I am really new to wireless world. So I use hot spot of my university
in my dorms. So as I understand I need to buy some external Wi Fi
devices - PCMCIA card or some USB adapter to connect then some
external antenna there.
Thanks a lot but could you give me some advice what should I choose to
reach 150m hot spot. And which (PCMCIA or USB) devices are
preferrable?