Continuously Crashing System.

hassaan50

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2002
Dear Helper,
My computer crashes frequently. It's mostly when I run something powerful. This however is not always the case. My computer has Win98 installed on it, and most of the 'computer' games result in a crash. I also have a Playstation emulator which runs games, no matter how powerful, quite smoothly. I cannot use Flash, MS Office, and most other programs.

What could be the problem? I also recently changed my processor to a PIII - and I think it's then when this problem has begun to occur. Will I need a complete mother board change or is there another problem.

Oblige me with a note of assistance. Thank You.

hassaan50.

hassaan50

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2002
I do not know much about my System components. What I do know is:

64 MB Dimm Ram
500 MHZ PIII Processor (Replaced a PII 500 MHZ without changing motherboard )
US Robotics 56K Modem
Win 98, XP
52X Maze CD-ROM Drive

I hope this can help. Thank You.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
What motherboard do you have? Thats pretty important. If you say you don't know, then I would question the logic of replacing the processor without knowing what MB you've got.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

G

Windows reinstall perhaps?? Does this need to be done after a processor upgrade? I know you do if you change m/boards..

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
No need to redo windows after cpu change, sound like he got a problem between the mobo and the cpu. Maybe a bios update if needed can help, if update still doesn't support that MHz cpu then it's back to old/slower cpu or new mobo.

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red> ;)

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
yo yo yo whats up? inshallah every thing will be ok.

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/scamtron2000/Lochel.html" target="_new"> <font color=red>LOOK</font color=red> </A>

Wow. I seem to be advising this a lot today. Did you upgrade your PSU when you changed to the PIII?

Did you also get a HSF specifically for the new CPU, or are you using the old one?

Perhaps the extra draw on power from the upgrade is the problem, or maybe its a temperature problem.

:cool: <b><font color=blue>The Cisco Kid</font color=blue></b> :cool: