Windows vs. MSN Messenger

What is the diff. between the two IM systems? I just had
my system updated from win98se to winxp home sp2 and I
find both windows messenger v.4.7.3001 and MSN messenger
v.6.2.0205 on my system now. My son and I are confused on
which one to log into. Which is more secure (better)
etc.? Any opinions?
Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about windows messenger

    Hello :)

    I think you are seekingexactly for informations that are in following
    article:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/windowsmessenger/ballew_03august11.mspx
    - from Microsoft. Hopefully it will cover all your questions related to the
    subject...

    "K.H." wrote:

    > What is the diff. between the two IM systems? I just had
    > my system updated from win98se to winxp home sp2 and I
    > find both windows messenger v.4.7.3001 and MSN messenger
    > v.6.2.0205 on my system now. My son and I are confused on
    > which one to log into. Which is more secure (better)
    > etc.? Any opinions?
    > Thanks

    Greetings KH,

    There are several differences between the two. Most notably, MSN Messenger 6 has support for
    display pictures, custom emoticons, has a different interface, etc. whereas Windows Messenger
    supports SIP-based communications services, Exchange IM Server, etc. Which one you use is up
    to you if you're simply using the most basic functionality, connecting to the public .NET
    Messenger service) and a matter of personal choice. However one thing to keep in mind,
    Windows Messenger must still be installed on Windows XP in order for MSN Messenger to retain
    full functionality (Remote Assistance, Whiteboard, Application Sharing, etc.).

    MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member Profiles, MSN Mobile,
    etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around Windows technologies (Exchange Server,
    Office Live Communications Server, Windows Netmeeting, etc.).

    In terms of security, they're both secure; so you really don't need to worry about that.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "K.H." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > What is the diff. between the two IM systems? I just had
    > my system updated from win98se to winxp home sp2 and I
    > find both windows messenger v.4.7.3001 and MSN messenger
    > v.6.2.0205 on my system now. My son and I are confused on
    > which one to log into. Which is more secure (better)
    > etc.? Any opinions?
    > Thanks

    Why is it that MS complicates matters like this? I run XP and have
    difficulty doing cam conference with those on MSN Messenger.
    Now it transpires that the latest MSN Messenger causes problems for Internet
    Explorer.
    Surely MS can find a way not to cause interactive problems with its own
    software.
    Alan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    > Greetings KH,
    >
    > There are several differences between the two. Most notably, MSN
    > Messenger 6 has support for
    > display pictures, custom emoticons, has a different interface, etc.
    > whereas Windows Messenger
    > supports SIP-based communications services, Exchange IM Server, etc.
    > Which one you use is up
    > to you if you're simply using the most basic functionality, connecting to
    > the public .NET
    > Messenger service) and a matter of personal choice. However one thing to
    > keep in mind,
    > Windows Messenger must still be installed on Windows XP in order for MSN
    > Messenger to retain
    > full functionality (Remote Assistance, Whiteboard, Application Sharing,
    > etc.).
    >
    > MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member
    > Profiles, MSN Mobile,
    > etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around Windows technologies
    > (Exchange Server,
    > Office Live Communications Server, Windows Netmeeting, etc.).
    >
    > In terms of security, they're both secure; so you really don't need to
    > worry about that.
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "K.H." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> What is the diff. between the two IM systems? I just had
    >> my system updated from win98se to winxp home sp2 and I
    >> find both windows messenger v.4.7.3001 and MSN messenger
    >> v.6.2.0205 on my system now. My son and I are confused on
    >> which one to log into. Which is more secure (better)
    >> etc.? Any opinions?
    >> Thanks

    We can thank the lawyers for that. Because of all of the lawsuits Microsoft
    operates their business units separately. Examples of this are Internet
    Explorer and MSN, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Office, Microsoft Office
    and Windows XP (desktop operating systems). MSN is a distinctly separate
    business unit which actually produces "it's own" browser.

    Bob
    "Alan" <oakwoodbank.ac@virgin.net> wrote in message
    > Why is it that MS complicates matters like this? I run XP and have
    > difficulty doing cam conference with those on MSN Messenger.
    > Now it transpires that the latest MSN Messenger causes problems for
    Internet
    > Explorer.
    > Surely MS can find a way not to cause interactive problems with its own
    > software.
    > Alan
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    >

    > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
    > > Greetings KH,
    > >
    > > There are several differences between the two. Most notably, MSN
    > > Messenger 6 has support for
    > > display pictures, custom emoticons, has a different interface, etc.
    > > whereas Windows Messenger
    > > supports SIP-based communications services, Exchange IM Server, etc.
    > > Which one you use is up
    > > to you if you're simply using the most basic functionality, connecting
    > > the public .NET
    > > Messenger service) and a matter of personal choice. However one thing to
    > > keep in mind,
    > > Windows Messenger must still be installed on Windows XP in order for MSN
    > > Messenger to retain
    > > full functionality (Remote Assistance, Whiteboard, Application Sharing,
    > > etc.).
    > >
    > > MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member
    > > Profiles, MSN Mobile,
    > > etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around Windows technologies
    > > (Exchange Server,
    > > Office Live Communications Server, Windows Netmeeting, etc.).
    > >
    > > In terms of security, they're both secure; so you really don't need to
    > > worry about that.
    > > Jonathan Kay
    > > Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
    > > Associate Expert
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
    > > Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
    > > All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
    > > You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
    > >
    > > "K.H." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> What is the diff. between the two IM systems? I just had
    > >> my system updated from win98se to winxp home sp2 and I
    > >> find both windows messenger v.4.7.3001 and MSN messenger
    > >> v.6.2.0205 on my system now. My son and I are confused on
    > >> which one to log into. Which is more secure (better)
    > >> etc.? Any opinions?
    > >> Thanks

Messenger Microsoft MSN Messenger Windows XP