Sign in with
Your question

My Dragon+ may have Via KT266 instead of KT266A!

Last response: in Motherboards
February 7, 2002 7:52:41 PM

When I insert the Motherboard drivers CD that came with the Dragon Plus, the window that pops up has a Motherboard Info button. When I click on it, the alert box that pops up says that the motherboard is a "Soyo Dragon Plus with KT266&xxxx..." (I forgot the rest of the words) The window says that it has the KT266, not the KT266A. Can this be possible??? Also, the hardware/temp/voltage monitoring programs that I have tried say that it is a KT266 chipset. Is there a way to check what chipset it really has without opening the computer case or do I just have to open it to find out? Or is it that the KT266 and the KT266A are detected as being the same?

Do you guys think that I should return this motherboard and get a replacement or am I just paranoid?

More about : dragon kt266 kt266a

February 8, 2002 4:05:03 AM

Why hasn't anyone replied? Does anyone know whether some Dragon+ motherboards were made with the Via KT266 chipset instead of the KT266A chipset?
February 8, 2002 11:23:38 AM

If there's a "+" in Dragon+ then it's a KT266A board.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
Related resources
February 8, 2002 12:48:03 PM

Quote:
Is there a way to check what chipset it really has without opening the computer case or do I just have to open it to find out? Or is it that the KT266 and the KT266A are detected as being the same?

Option #2. Even if you open the case, there is an HSF on the chipset so it isn't visible. Trust the Force.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
February 8, 2002 3:40:13 PM

You can rip off the heatsink on the Northbridge to find out.

Do the two chipsets have different Southbridges, anyone know?

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
February 8, 2002 4:18:51 PM

Thanks everyone. I think Ill just "Trust the force" like jlanka said.
!