Wireless Problem in Windows XP!

I am having a problem with setting up SOHO wilress
network(Infrastructure) with following systems.

Access Point: Buffalo Technology WBR2-G54
Repeater: Buffalo Technology WLA-G54C
Client Adapter: linksys-cisco Wireless-G PCI Adapter x 2 & Buffalo
Technology WLI-PCI-G54 x 1
Client Systems: Windows XP Pro & Home mixture.

Here are the problem.
1) On windows XP, I am having a problem with OS integrated wireless
managing software.
When I stop wireless zero configuration service on the XP then
everything stops working!!!

a. How does windows 2000 professional uses above client adapters? I used
to have cisco client adapter and it came with it's own client adapter
management tool which needed to be installed in order to set SSID + WEP
and signal strength monitor and lots of advanced features...

***: reason for needing to install manufacture's utility software is
that I am deploying INFRASTRUCTURE wifi network in the SOHO where
everyone near that office has their own Access Point. Stupid windows XP
is picking up other access point! See this is the problem...I want to
lock down my clients to only one access point but this isn't possible on
Windows XP!!! Please help!

Is it possible to stop "wireless zero configuration service" on windows
XP and install Windows 2000 utility to lock client into just single
access point + infrastructure mode?

I have configured SSID & WEP on windows XP but it keep picking up other
OPEN access point nodes!
Or is there's an any other way to stop my Windows XP from picking up
OPEN access point nodes(people are stupid and left their access point
open - there are about 10 access point found from the office)??? This
roaming feature of XP is hurting me pretty bad. I never had this problem
with Windows 2000 but my client's systems came preloaded with Windows XP!

Wireless guru help needed!

Oktokie

oktokie wrote:
> I am having a problem with setting up SOHO wilress
> network(Infrastructure) with following systems.
>
> Access Point: Buffalo Technology WBR2-G54
> Repeater: Buffalo Technology WLA-G54C
> Client Adapter: linksys-cisco Wireless-G PCI Adapter x 2 & Buffalo
> Technology WLI-PCI-G54 x 1
> Client Systems: Windows XP Pro & Home mixture.
>
> Here are the problem.
> 1) On windows XP, I am having a problem with OS integrated wireless
> managing software.
> When I stop wireless zero configuration service on the XP then
> everything stops working!!!
>
> a. How does windows 2000 professional uses above client adapters? I
> used to have cisco client adapter and it came with it's own client
> adapter management tool which needed to be installed in order to set
> SSID + WEP and signal strength monitor and lots of advanced
> features...
>
> ***: reason for needing to install manufacture's utility software is
> that I am deploying INFRASTRUCTURE wifi network in the SOHO where
> everyone near that office has their own Access Point. Stupid windows
> XP is picking up other access point! See this is the problem...I want
> to lock down my clients to only one access point but this isn't
> possible on Windows XP!!! Please help!
>
> Is it possible to stop "wireless zero configuration service" on
> windows XP and install Windows 2000 utility to lock client into just
> single access point + infrastructure mode?
>
> I have configured SSID & WEP on windows XP but it keep picking up
> other OPEN access point nodes!
> Or is there's an any other way to stop my Windows XP from picking up
> OPEN access point nodes(people are stupid and left their access point
> open - there are about 10 access point found from the office)??? This
> roaming feature of XP is hurting me pretty bad. I never had this
> problem with Windows 2000 but my client's systems came preloaded with
> Windows XP!
>
> Wireless guru help needed!
>
> Oktokie

First the "roaming" as you call it: Right-click the taskbar icon, select
Properties/View Available Wireless Networks. Select the Advanced
button/Wireless Networks Tab. In the Preferred networks section, remove
all but your network. Click the Advanced button, select Access Point
radio button, and uncheck the box Automatically connect to
non-preferered...

If you disable WZC, then you will need to set up the wireless manually.
You should be able to access the setup from Device Manager, card
properties. Usually the vendor's setup utility is installed with the
driver and might be in the Start menu, but Device Manager works just as
well.

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 12:57:35 GMT, oktokie <oktokie_@_yahoo.com> wrote:

>Is it possible to stop "wireless zero configuration service" on windows
>XP and install Windows 2000 utility to lock client into just single
>access point + infrastructure mode?

How to disable Windoze Zero Config:
- Start button
- Control panel
- Administrative tools
- Services
- Scroll to Windows Zero Configuration
- Right click on Properties.
- Change startup type to DISABLED
- Click on STOP
- Click on OK

Your Cisco software should now work without Microsoft's assistance.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 09:55:59 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
<jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

>On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 12:57:35 GMT, oktokie <oktokie_@_yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Is it possible to stop "wireless zero configuration service" on windows
>>XP and install Windows 2000 utility to lock client into just single
>>access point + infrastructure mode?
>
>How to disable Windoze Zero Config:
>- Start button
>- Control panel
>- Administrative tools
>- Services
>- Scroll to Windows Zero Configuration
^^^^^^^
AAAAAAAAAAAARGH! That should be Wireless Zero Configuration

>- Right click on Properties.
>- Change startup type to DISABLED
>- Click on STOP
>- Click on OK
>
>Your Cisco software should now work without Microsoft's assistance.

I gotta fire my proof reader...

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558