Single/Dual CPU's on Dual CPU motherboard

G

I have a motherboard that supports dual processors (msi 6904D-Pro) and I have been running one 1 GHz processor on the motherboard for almost 7 months. I want to buy another processor now so I would have two processors running at the same time. Do you think the new processor would conflect with the old one? in other words is it possible that my system would not be stable because one of the processors older than the other eventhough the are the same speed.

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
no. it won't make a bit of difference. the PIII are good like that. no "special" cpu or socket, etc. get another one, pop it in and have fun :D

Dorks = people that use their system specs for sigs.

MadCarrot

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
Before you do, bear in mind that unless the software is capable of using the second processor, you won't gain anything from fitting it.

MC

Porkloin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
There's always a kill joy in the crowd when it comes to dual processors. We'll take it for granted that you know that you have to be running one of the NT kernel O/S's (NT, 2000, XP). Even if you do have applications capable of exploiting dual processors, you'll probably enjoy the greatest performance boost for multi-tasking. Get yourself a SCSI drive, and it gets even better.
Have fun with it.

Sweating like a rancid chunk of pork

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
that other socket is meant for another processor, its not a spare one!

but you do need to put in a processor with the same speed, and preferably same stepping. you also need a operating system that would take advantage of the second processor. Windows NT or 2000 or Linux. Windows 95/98/ME wont do anuything with this second processor.

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>