Trying to lock down network.

Joe

I am a LAN Admin locking down user access on a LAN.
Several users have been using IM to communicate with other
employees about work issues. What flavor of Messenger can
I use to give the users functionality on our intranet but
still block the users and outsiders from using it on the
wider internet? We are running an Exchange 2000 server.
Thanks

Greetings Joe,

If your users are operating on the .NET Messenger Service, there is no way to restrict them
to only to your company. In order to do this, you'll need to setup a local Live Comm.
Server, Exchange Server or some other instant messaging service.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Joe" <joe@stallingsgroup.net> wrote in message
>I am a LAN Admin locking down user access on a LAN.
> Several users have been using IM to communicate with other
> employees about work issues. What flavor of Messenger can
> I use to give the users functionality on our intranet but
> still block the users and outsiders from using it on the
> wider internet? We are running an Exchange 2000 server.
> Thanks

If you are running Exchange 2000 Conferencing server, you can use Windows
Messenger (for XP) v 4.7 and up. I would recommend installing and using
WM5.1.

Note: Your users may be a little upset because WM5.1 does not behave like
AOL AIM or MSN Messenger.

When you upgrade to Exchange 2003 you will need to look at something like
Live Communications Server. In Exchange 2000 Microsoft used a proprietary
protocol for instant messaging. LCS utilizes the SIP protocol as a
standard.

Bob
"Joe" <joe@stallingsgroup.net> wrote in message
> I am a LAN Admin locking down user access on a LAN.
> Several users have been using IM to communicate with other
> employees about work issues. What flavor of Messenger can
> I use to give the users functionality on our intranet but
> still block the users and outsiders from using it on the
> wider internet? We are running an Exchange 2000 server.
> Thanks

Latest posts