Yoiks! I dunno if I fried something!

G

Hi all, I'm hoping I can get some help with this, because I am getting rather worried here.

Last night, I turned my new homebuilt system on and got it working perfectly. The system specs are as follows:
CPU: AMD 1800+
MB: Iwill XP-333
HDD: Maxtor 40GB 7200 rpm ATA-133
Video: ATI Radeon 8500 LE (250 MHz)
P/Supply: Enermax 350W
CPU Fan - Globalwin WBK38 6800 rpm fan
RAM: 512 MB Nanya PC2100, CAS 2.5

Last night, as I said, it was running perfectly, through multiple reboots and a burn-in program testing all components at 100%.

However, I got home from work today and found the thing wouldn't even post. I thought that odd, tried turning it on and off. At this point everything was working normally, just no post, even after resetting the CMOS (desperation here).

So I pulled out the DVD, floppy drive and HDD and reset the FSB to 100 MHz, and got the system to boot.

Plugging everything in again, I got it to boot up again and went into bios, and set the FSB to 133 MHz (without enabling it on the MB). Booting up again, I got the RAM error (long beeps, award bios), so reset the CMOS again and tried to reboot.

No post again. Then, turning off and on again, the fans started slowing down. I quickly turned it off. Trying to turn it on again, the CPU fan no longer worked.

Thats the end of my saga, haven't tried turning it on since. Does anyone know what might be going wrong here? I am at my wits end and quite worried about my new system.

Any and all help would be MOST appreciated!!

I think that the MB might be acting up, because when I plug the CPU cooler fan into the power supply directly, it works and the system posts, before freezing as it says "DDR" (before it detects IDE drives)

I have also checked all the plugs etc.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AndreiJ on 02/08/02 04:21 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Ahh, easy fix. You're problem is your RAM. It can't handle the strict settings in the BIOS. Relax the RAM settings a bit and your problem will be solved. The Iwill XP333 doesn't like cheap CAS2.5 RAM. In fact even most PC2700 can't handle it's most aggressive settings.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

Ahhh ok, thanks both of you.

However, I had noticed that if I set the RAM to CAS=2.5 in BIOS, it wouldn't boot, so I have henceforth left it up to the motherboard to manage...

I'll ring the store tomorrow. This is really pissing me off. Every time the weekend comes around, something goes wrong!!! (Last time it was the RAM and monitor not being here...)

Also, can I ask the distinctly newbieish question - whats the best way to remove the thermal conductor that comes with heatsinks, once it has been 'cooked' onto the CPU?

Once again, many thanks.

Andrei

svol

Champion
Slowly scrape it of with something (screwdriver, knife) and clean it with pure alcohol and a piece of paper or a clean towel.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .