ECSK75A HEADACHE, PLS HELP

G

When I cold boot the machine, it can't boot in windows, then I have to push a reset button in order for it to boot, for restart, it work fine, I did flash with the latest bios though. After flashing the bios, it works fine, ( like I shut down for few hours the power up from cold boot , it works fine ), i thought it was OK but then a day later, i shut down for onw night and then boot up in the next morning, the problems come back. Anyone know how to fix this?? Is this motherboard problem? I even try to change video card,but still nothing better. And if so, would you show me how to clear the CMOS?? I read in the manual but the jumper on my board has been soldered already? so i don't know where to short those pins.
thanks

SkuZzZz

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2001
i have a problem thats annoying me too, Ive got the same mobo, and first time I boot the machine everyday it hangs, if I`m using xp or 2k it hangs before the splash screen, and if i`m using win98 it says "error loading vxd" no more details? when I reboot it boots fine and is as stable as can be

details

k7s5a
ath 1400
Gf3 ti200 (creative)
sb audigy.
little soft modem card & realtek network card....

mobo was a chaintech 7kjd but it died and got replaced, ever since I`ve had this problem....

I`m a little confused, if anyone has any ideas let me know

G

Try to disable the BIOS option "AGP 4x Controll" in the "PCI/Plug and Play Options" Settings.
Tell me if worked, cause I have the same problem(kinda of) and that fixed, but now I'm using only 2x AGP acceleration..

G

Do you have a good power supply? You did know there are some very specific requirements for a supply that is considered AMD approved, eh? It seems like I recall someone saying that a decent supply is especially critical with that particular m/b for whatever reason.

Where did you get your mobo? Soldered CMOS jumper? Sounds a bit unlikely. Why permanently solder a rarely moved part?

Power supply for this mob, I recommend a 350W approved (not generic) supply.

Why flash the BIOS?

:cool: <b><font color=blue>The Cisco Kid</font color=blue></b> :cool:

G

I used 300W power ( include with my Inwin case i think it is a powerman 300W though ). Sorry, I saw the wrong jumper, but I reset it, still doesn't work properly, it was working the first few day when i bought it. Since I install the additional D740X hard drive, sometimes it doesn't work properly, like after I upgrade the bios , it works well for a few day, then the problems come back......

G

HI,
I did try everything, but not anything can solve.
I got an AMDXP 1700 so when i set the cpu setting on the bios as 100/100Mhz. It runs fine, i shut down for 2 hrs, turn on no problem but I don't want 100MHz, becuase it i do this it only read as 1100 and it suppose to be 1.47G
so when I change to 133/133MHz, the problem is it hangs at boot up when shut down for a good time ie. half an hour or more

G

hmmm, didnt see this thread, my prob is more that I can go in fine, but games/video freeze me, wonderin if that agpvxs update on the ecs site may help.. at work now, will check later.....

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
using a 350w psu here, a generic one at that..with no problems....but i think i got lucky with the psu being a good one...i dont even know what brand it is...cause i would have to take the powersupply out...and if it works...eh...
maybe i will some day...
let you all know what it is...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
rated output of the PSU is generally less important than the BRAND & QUALITY.

get a decent brand, accept no generic.

a 300W enermax had better power output characteristics than a 350W generic my friend had. the same generic died after a month with a sad smokey smell.

Overclocked athlon 1200C @ 8.5 x 166FSB + PC2700 = GOOD! :smile:

SmileyBri

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Unfortunatly I had very similer problems AND MORE with the ECS K7S5A mainboard. Almost all the ones I have used have problems like you described, or they turn off and on by themselves. They do this even without any expansion cards, and Enermax 350 PS (or is it 360?).

Plain and simple. These boards are bad.

<font color=red><i>such madness</i></font color=red>