Windows messenger help can't log in

Everytime i try to log in it says "Signing into .NET Messenger Service failed
beacause the service could not to found. Please make sure that your connected
to the internet."

However I am connected, ican sign into hotmail and the Met Messenger Service
says it's active .....can anybody help me?
2 answers Last reply
More about windows messenger

    i'm having the sane problems here. did you ever get this
    issue resolved? if so what is the remedy? did this
    problem coincide with a windows or norton update.

    Greetings Dave,

    Since you can't immediately login, remember that you can might try logging into the Web
    Messenger, at least until you can restore your normal Messenger functionality:
    http://webmessenger.msn.com

    However, here are some suggestions you should check/try if you haven't already.

    1. The date on your computer needs to be set properly -- double click the clock verify that
    the time and date are set.
    2. If your password information is not saved, verify that you are typing it in with the
    correct case (uppercase or lowercase).
    3. Change your password @ http://memberservicesnet.passport.com/memberservice.srf to
    something smaller (under 10-12 characters), then try signing in again.
    4. If you use a firewall (like ZoneAlarm, Norton Internet Security etc. ), it's possible
    that Messenger doesn't have the correct rights to access the Internet, especially since you
    upgraded. You may need to re/add Messenger to the allowed list of programs in your firewall
    if this is the case.
    5. If you disabled your firewall in the past, it still may be blocking Messenger -- try
    restarting it and see if that helps the situation. You also might try uninstalling an
    installed firewall, to verify that it isn't causing a problem (even if it is disabled).
    6. Clear your IE cache and cookies -- open Internet Explorer, click the Tools menu, then
    Internet Options, then click the Delete Files button, and when that's complete click the
    Delete Cookies button.
    7. Check your IE Security settings -- open Internet Explorer, click the Tools menu, then
    Internet Options, then Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section, and verify that "Check
    for server certificate revocation" is unchecked. Also verify that 'Use SSL 2.0' and Use SSL
    3.0' is checked, then click OK.
    8. Click Start, then Run, and enter the following:
    regsvr32 softpub.dll
    then click OK
    and do the same for the following:
    regsvr32 wintrust.dll
    regsvr32 initpki.dll
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "dave" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > i'm having the sane problems here. did you ever get this
    > issue resolved? if so what is the remedy? did this
    > problem coincide with a windows or norton update.

Login Messenger Microsoft Windows XP