starting service in many PC's

February 15, 2005 3:15:03 AM

Hi help

Is there a way to enable & then start this messenger service in all the PC's
of the network from my PC instead of going to each PC and doing it.

all the PCs we have are XP Pro with SP2.

Also is there any secuity threat to enabling this service ?

More about : starting service

Anonymous
February 15, 2005 8:22:05 AM

Greetings,

Assuming we're talking about the "Messenger Service" in Windows (not Windows Messenger the
application), yes you can, using group policies or simply using the sc command (go to the
Command Prompt, type sc /? to see how to use it).

Security threat? Not if they're running SP2 (as you've already indicated they are).
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"sridhar" <sridhar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi help
>
> Is there a way to enable & then start this messenger service in all the PC's
> of the network from my PC instead of going to each PC and doing it.
>

> all the PCs we have are XP Pro with SP2.
>
> Also is there any secuity threat to enabling this service ?

Anonymous
February 15, 2005 8:22:06 AM

thanks Kay

But is there a single command to start this messenger service in all PC's of
the domain or should i do this one by one for each PC

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Assuming we're talking about the "Messenger Service" in Windows (not Windows Messenger the
> application), yes you can, using group policies or simply using the sc command (go to the
> Command Prompt, type sc /? to see how to use it).
>
> Security threat? Not if they're running SP2 (as you've already indicated they are).
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "sridhar" <sridhar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi help
> >
> > Is there a way to enable & then start this messenger service in all the PC's
> > of the network from my PC instead of going to each PC and doing it.
> >

> > all the PCs we have are XP Pro with SP2.
> >
> > Also is there any secuity threat to enabling this service ?

Anonymous
February 15, 2005 4:26:32 PM

Hi,

If you want to do all of them you'll have to make this a policy and push it across your
domain. SC will only let you do each PC individually.