starting service in many PC's

Hi help

Is there a way to enable & then start this messenger service in all the PC's
of the network from my PC instead of going to each PC and doing it.

all the PCs we have are XP Pro with SP2.

Also is there any secuity threat to enabling this service ?
3 answers Last reply
More about starting service

    Greetings,

    Assuming we're talking about the "Messenger Service" in Windows (not Windows Messenger the
    application), yes you can, using group policies or simply using the sc command (go to the
    Command Prompt, type sc /? to see how to use it).

    Security threat? Not if they're running SP2 (as you've already indicated they are).
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "sridhar" <sridhar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi help
    >
    > Is there a way to enable & then start this messenger service in all the PC's
    > of the network from my PC instead of going to each PC and doing it.
    >

    > all the PCs we have are XP Pro with SP2.
    >
    > Also is there any secuity threat to enabling this service ?

    thanks Kay

    But is there a single command to start this messenger service in all PC's of
    the domain or should i do this one by one for each PC

    "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

    > Greetings,
    >
    > Assuming we're talking about the "Messenger Service" in Windows (not Windows Messenger the
    > application), yes you can, using group policies or simply using the sc command (go to the
    > Command Prompt, type sc /? to see how to use it).
    >
    > Security threat? Not if they're running SP2 (as you've already indicated they are).
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "sridhar" <sridhar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi help
    > >
    > > Is there a way to enable & then start this messenger service in all the PC's
    > > of the network from my PC instead of going to each PC and doing it.
    > >

    > > all the PCs we have are XP Pro with SP2.
    > >
    > > Also is there any secuity threat to enabling this service ?

    Hi,

    If you want to do all of them you'll have to make this a policy and push it across your
    domain. SC will only let you do each PC individually.

    > thanks Kay
    >
    > But is there a single command to start this messenger service in all PC's of
    > the domain or should i do this one by one for each PC
    >

    > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Greetings,
    >>
    >> Assuming we're talking about the "Messenger Service" in Windows (not Windows Messenger the
    >> application), yes you can, using group policies or simply using the sc command (go to the
    >> Command Prompt, type sc /? to see how to use it).
    >>
    >> Security threat? Not if they're running SP2 (as you've already indicated they are).
    >> Jonathan Kay
    >> Associate Expert
    >> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
    >>
    >> "sridhar" <sridhar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi help
    >> >
    >> > Is there a way to enable & then start this messenger service in all the PC's
    >> > of the network from my PC instead of going to each PC and doing it.
    >> >

    >> > all the PCs we have are XP Pro with SP2.
    >> >
    >> > Also is there any secuity threat to enabling this service ?

Messenger Microsoft Windows XP