need some help??

hi,

how can i setup a home network?? (e.g. between a wireless laptop and pc)
i've tried using the network wizard, but i cant get it to work proerly. i
just want to transfer some files from the laptop to the pc.
and share a printer if its possible.

also, do i have go into the connection screen, and install 'file and printer
sharing for micrsoft windows'??

thanx

devin
5 answers Last reply
More about need help

    On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 16:24:46 GMT, "Devin Panchal"
    <d.panchal@ntlworld.com> wrote:

    >how can i setup a home network?? (e.g. between a wireless laptop and pc)
    >i've tried using the network wizard, but i cant get it to work proerly.

    What/which network wizard? If it's the "home networking" wizard, you
    just setup ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) and effectively made a
    mess.

    >i just want to transfer some files from the laptop to the pc.
    >and share a printer if its possible.

    I'll assume you're using Windoze XP. You'll be amazed at how much
    better help you get when you disclose what you have to work with.

    File sharing:
    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm

    Printer sharing is just right click on the printer icon and select
    "Sharing".

    >also, do i have go into the connection screen, and install 'file and printer
    >sharing for micrsoft windows'??

    Yes. However, it should have been installed by default in Windoze XP.
    It should look something like this:
    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guidcnf2.htm

    Try blundering through the diagnostics at:
    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guidtstc.htm
    and see if anything obvious is amis.

    The usual problem is that one machine has received a proper IP address
    via DHCP and is at 192.168.xxx.xxx, while the other machine hickuped
    or something and ended up with a defaulted IP address as
    169.254.xxx.xxx. Networking and sharing will work just fine as long
    as BOTH machines are in the same block of IP addresses, but not when
    they're that different. Lots of other ways to do it wrong, but that's
    what I've seen as the most common because twiddling with the settings
    does not necessarily convince XP to ask the router DHCP server for a
    new IP address.

    Incidentally, the shift key on your keyboard appears to be broken.
    You really should get that fixed.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    "Devin Panchal" <d.panchal@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > hi,
    >
    > how can i setup a home network?? (e.g. between a wireless laptop and pc)
    > i've tried using the network wizard, but i cant get it to work proerly. i
    > just want to transfer some files from the laptop to the pc.
    > and share a printer if its possible.
    >
    > also, do i have go into the connection screen, and install 'file and
    printer
    > sharing for micrsoft windows'??
    >
    > thanx
    >
    > devin

    Here is a primer on setting up simple Microsoft networking and you will have
    to install file and printer sharing.
    http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/HomeNet-start.asp

    AG

    so do u have to change it to a static address?? i thought i needed to have a
    dynamic address, so i can share the internet connection.

    my pc and laptop is connected to a wireless router. the router is connected
    to the internet.

    devin

    > On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 16:24:46 GMT, "Devin Panchal"
    > <d.panchal@ntlworld.com> wrote:
    >
    > >how can i setup a home network?? (e.g. between a wireless laptop and pc)
    > >i've tried using the network wizard, but i cant get it to work proerly.
    >
    > What/which network wizard? If it's the "home networking" wizard, you
    > just setup ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) and effectively made a
    > mess.
    >
    > >i just want to transfer some files from the laptop to the pc.
    > >and share a printer if its possible.
    >
    > I'll assume you're using Windoze XP. You'll be amazed at how much
    > better help you get when you disclose what you have to work with.
    >
    > File sharing:
    > http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm
    >
    > Printer sharing is just right click on the printer icon and select
    > "Sharing".
    >
    > >also, do i have go into the connection screen, and install 'file and
    printer
    > >sharing for micrsoft windows'??
    >
    > Yes. However, it should have been installed by default in Windoze XP.
    > It should look something like this:
    > http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guidcnf2.htm
    >
    > Try blundering through the diagnostics at:
    > http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guidtstc.htm
    > and see if anything obvious is amis.
    >
    > The usual problem is that one machine has received a proper IP address
    > via DHCP and is at 192.168.xxx.xxx, while the other machine hickuped
    > or something and ended up with a defaulted IP address as
    > 169.254.xxx.xxx. Networking and sharing will work just fine as long
    > as BOTH machines are in the same block of IP addresses, but not when
    > they're that different. Lots of other ways to do it wrong, but that's
    > what I've seen as the most common because twiddling with the settings
    > does not necessarily convince XP to ask the router DHCP server for a
    > new IP address.
    >
    > Incidentally, the shift key on your keyboard appears to be broken.
    > You really should get that fixed.

    > Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 11:08:10 GMT, "Devin Panchal"
    <d.panchal@ntlworld.com> wrote:

    >so do u have to change it to a static address?? i thought i needed to have a
    >dynamic address, so i can share the internet connection.

    No, no, no. Thou art confusing the WAN side of the router with the
    LAN side. The WAN (wide area network) side is the one that talks to
    your ISP. It gets it's WAN side IP address via PPPoE or DHCP from
    your ISP. If you can connect to your ISP (see status page in router
    setup), the WAN part is working. This is the "routeable" IP address.

    Your computah is connected to the LAN (local area network) part of the
    router. The LAN side delivers IP addresses to your computah via DHCP.
    This is part that I was mumbling about sometimes screwing up. If the
    IP address of your computer ends up 169.254.xxx.xxx, it's *NOT*
    working.

    >my pc and laptop is connected to a wireless router. the router is connected
    >to the internet.
    >
    >devin

    You really should fix the shift key on your keyboard.

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 08:34:52 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

    > You really should fix the shift key on your keyboard.

    It could be his cazapitor.

    (ok, I'm done now)
    --
    Barry

Wireless Laptops Internet Wireless Networking