Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

need some help??

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
July 9, 2004 8:24:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

hi,

how can i setup a home network?? (e.g. between a wireless laptop and pc)
i've tried using the network wizard, but i cant get it to work proerly. i
just want to transfer some files from the laptop to the pc.
and share a printer if its possible.

also, do i have go into the connection screen, and install 'file and printer
sharing for micrsoft windows'??

thanx

devin

More about : question

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
July 9, 2004 8:24:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 16:24:46 GMT, "Devin Panchal"
<d.panchal@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>how can i setup a home network?? (e.g. between a wireless laptop and pc)
>i've tried using the network wizard, but i cant get it to work proerly.

What/which network wizard? If it's the "home networking" wizard, you
just setup ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) and effectively made a
mess.

>i just want to transfer some files from the laptop to the pc.
>and share a printer if its possible.

I'll assume you're using Windoze XP. You'll be amazed at how much
better help you get when you disclose what you have to work with.

File sharing:
http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm

Printer sharing is just right click on the printer icon and select
"Sharing".

>also, do i have go into the connection screen, and install 'file and printer
>sharing for micrsoft windows'??

Yes. However, it should have been installed by default in Windoze XP.
It should look something like this:
http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guidcnf2.htm

Try blundering through the diagnostics at:
http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guidtstc.htm
and see if anything obvious is amis.

The usual problem is that one machine has received a proper IP address
via DHCP and is at 192.168.xxx.xxx, while the other machine hickuped
or something and ended up with a defaulted IP address as
169.254.xxx.xxx. Networking and sharing will work just fine as long
as BOTH machines are in the same block of IP addresses, but not when
they're that different. Lots of other ways to do it wrong, but that's
what I've seen as the most common because twiddling with the settings
does not necessarily convince XP to ask the router DHCP server for a
new IP address.

Incidentally, the shift key on your keyboard appears to be broken.
You really should get that fixed.


--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
July 9, 2004 8:24:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"Devin Panchal" <d.panchal@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:iFzHc.1212$bI4.1183@newsfe3-win.ntli.net...
> hi,
>
> how can i setup a home network?? (e.g. between a wireless laptop and pc)
> i've tried using the network wizard, but i cant get it to work proerly. i
> just want to transfer some files from the laptop to the pc.
> and share a printer if its possible.
>
> also, do i have go into the connection screen, and install 'file and
printer
> sharing for micrsoft windows'??
>
> thanx
>
> devin
>
>
Here is a primer on setting up simple Microsoft networking and you will have
to install file and printer sharing.
http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/HomeNet-start.asp

AG
Related resources
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
July 10, 2004 3:08:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

so do u have to change it to a static address?? i thought i needed to have a
dynamic address, so i can share the internet connection.

my pc and laptop is connected to a wireless router. the router is connected
to the internet.

devin


"Jeff Liebermann" <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in message
news:D hgte0dn5b7a423cujd7c53kr9nteiv9ro@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 16:24:46 GMT, "Devin Panchal"
> <d.panchal@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> >how can i setup a home network?? (e.g. between a wireless laptop and pc)
> >i've tried using the network wizard, but i cant get it to work proerly.
>
> What/which network wizard? If it's the "home networking" wizard, you
> just setup ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) and effectively made a
> mess.
>
> >i just want to transfer some files from the laptop to the pc.
> >and share a printer if its possible.
>
> I'll assume you're using Windoze XP. You'll be amazed at how much
> better help you get when you disclose what you have to work with.
>
> File sharing:
> http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm
>
> Printer sharing is just right click on the printer icon and select
> "Sharing".
>
> >also, do i have go into the connection screen, and install 'file and
printer
> >sharing for micrsoft windows'??
>
> Yes. However, it should have been installed by default in Windoze XP.
> It should look something like this:
> http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guidcnf2.htm
>
> Try blundering through the diagnostics at:
> http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guidtstc.htm
> and see if anything obvious is amis.
>
> The usual problem is that one machine has received a proper IP address
> via DHCP and is at 192.168.xxx.xxx, while the other machine hickuped
> or something and ended up with a defaulted IP address as
> 169.254.xxx.xxx. Networking and sharing will work just fine as long
> as BOTH machines are in the same block of IP addresses, but not when
> they're that different. Lots of other ways to do it wrong, but that's
> what I've seen as the most common because twiddling with the settings
> does not necessarily convince XP to ask the router DHCP server for a
> new IP address.
>
> Incidentally, the shift key on your keyboard appears to be broken.
> You really should get that fixed.
>
>
> --
> Jeff Liebermann jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
> 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
> Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
July 10, 2004 3:08:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 11:08:10 GMT, "Devin Panchal"
<d.panchal@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>so do u have to change it to a static address?? i thought i needed to have a
>dynamic address, so i can share the internet connection.

No, no, no. Thou art confusing the WAN side of the router with the
LAN side. The WAN (wide area network) side is the one that talks to
your ISP. It gets it's WAN side IP address via PPPoE or DHCP from
your ISP. If you can connect to your ISP (see status page in router
setup), the WAN part is working. This is the "routeable" IP address.

Your computah is connected to the LAN (local area network) part of the
router. The LAN side delivers IP addresses to your computah via DHCP.
This is part that I was mumbling about sometimes screwing up. If the
IP address of your computer ends up 169.254.xxx.xxx, it's *NOT*
working.

>my pc and laptop is connected to a wireless router. the router is connected
>to the internet.
>
>devin

You really should fix the shift key on your keyboard.


--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
July 10, 2004 6:08:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 08:34:52 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

>
> You really should fix the shift key on your keyboard.

It could be his cazapitor.

(ok, I'm done now)
--
Barry
!