98 machine networked with XP pro one

pat

Expert
I tried everything to have my Win98 comp to use my WinXP machine to access internet..no luck. With 2 XP machine, this is simple...but not with 98. I cannot even have the 98 machine to see the shared folder on my XP one. Can someone give me a clue about what to do/not do to have them communicate?

Thanks!

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by pat on 02/21/04 03:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

98 being FAT32 can't see XP's NTFS file system, but Xp can see the FAT32 file system, if your XP had been formated as FAT32 you probably wouldn't have a problem, but making it work as it is, I can't help you with, if anyone here can, it would be Toejam31. You might try PMing him.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2541" target="_new">My Rig</A>

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You really didn't post enough information about the systems in question, such as what the hardware is the computers are using to communicate ... a router, a hub, a USB cable? Wired or wireless?

But if the problem is simply a communication issue, I'd suggest adding the NetBEUI protocol to the Local Area Connection of each system. Win98 comes preinstalled with NetBEUI, but WinXP does not.

<A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301041" target="_new">HOW TO: Install NetBEUI on Windows XP</A>

In certain instances, although it can be considered a security risk of sorts, this is the simplest way to get both operating systems communicating and sharing files, when nothing else seems to work.

I'd also suggest turning off the Internet Connection Firewall in WinXP while setting up the connection between the systems, and using a third-party tool for the firewall afterwards.

Toey

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=328&s=91c282f2e5207e99b7a652ee13b3512a" target="_new"><font color=green>My System Rigs</font color=green></A>

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/" target="_new"><b><font color=purple>BTVILLARIN.com</font color=purple></b></A> - <i><font color=orange>Your Computer Questions Answered</font color=orange></i>

pat

Expert
Machine will be connected with a single wire, no router, hub.... LAN to LAN connection. I'll check your link right now...thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wrong. Windows 95 machines at the school read the Windows NT machines drives fine, NTFS. The network protocal handles the files you see remotely, not the file system

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
My LAN works fine, with my kid using 98SE and mine using XP Pro SP1.

You have to make sure they are in the same WORKGROUP! 98 default workgroup is named "WORKGROUP", while XP's is named "MSHOME".

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pat

Expert
Thanks! I just did install netbeui and now, I can access my files on my computer with a win98 machine.

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Glad I could help.

I figured that if you knew something about networking, the name of the workgroup wasn't the problem, but instead, the lack of the protocol. I ran into it when networking Win2K systems with WinXP computers, and that was the easiest solution (along with redefining the default shares, and adding the user name to the administrative list for each share.)

Toey

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=328&s=91c282f2e5207e99b7a652ee13b3512a" target="_new"><font color=green>My System Rigs</font color=green></A>

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/" target="_new"><b><font color=purple>BTVILLARIN.com</font color=purple></b></A> - <i><font color=orange>Your Computer Questions Answered</font color=orange></i>

pat

Expert
Now, I just to figure how to use my computer dial-up internet access from the win98 machine.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Which machine dials up? I set my XP machine to share the dialup connection with other machines on the network, whenever the other machine make an internet request it automatically dials mine up.

pat

Expert
My machine run XP and have the dialup modem in it. It has onboard LAN. I have a twisted wire to connect it to my 98 machine which has an LAN card. When I setup another XP machine, I just run the networw wizard on both machine, telling that my machine had the mothe and the other machine will use it to access the internet. then, on the other XP machine, I just run the same wizard, and tell to use the network to access the internet. It then just work as you said, the other machine asking mine to dial and connect to the internet. But, now, I have to do the same, but with a win98 machine asking mine to dialup and connect. That just dont work. I did a floppy disk, when asked by the wizard to use on the other machine, but when I start the netsetup on the floppy, it just start, then ask me to reboot, but end up by telling me that something is not working with my network.

But I can access all the files I want on my XP machine with the 98 one, so my hardware is ok.

I have no clue...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
wow, what can I say? My stepdaughter has had 3 machines, all with 98SE, all set to use the internet from LAN...WAIT! I DID use the Internet Connection Wizard to set internet access to LAN...

And all I did to my XP machine was tell it to share the dialup connection. Everything works. I mean EVERYTHING. I don't know why you guys have to do any advanced settings at all, since everything works by default with my XP SP1 machine and various 98SE machines.

pat

Expert
I dont know....When I use the disk I create, from my XP machine, the wizard tell me, after the reboot that it cannot find my network hardware...and that I have to make sure that the correct driver are installed! I wont waste more time with that, I'll get rid of 98 and put XP on this machine. I dont like going in advanced settings when it can be done simply with XP.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, XP sux, everything worked so nicely with 98. BTW, I've NEVER used the "disk".

Something funny though, when I set the IP between the machines to auto, it changes to a manual IP that works.

pat

Expert
And you have an idea why I have to press enter twice at Win98 logon to have the desktop loaded? it is a fresh install of 98. I only tried to have the network working on it! might have messed up something in it. I have to say that I never had good luck with 98...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't know, all my 9x problems magically disappeared when I decided to boycott VIA chipsets...