Chaintech 7VJDA - Keyboard Error

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My Chaintech 7VJDA has developed a rather difficult problem.

The machine cannot see the keyboard. It happened about a week ago. I turned on my machine and during POST it reported a Keyboard not connected error. Thinking that the keyboard must be faulty, I went out and bought another. This did not help.

I then took my machine to a friends place and his 2 keyboards did not work either.

As last ditch effort, I cleared the CMOS in a hope that that would somehow reset the keyboard controller chip.

Has any there had a similar problem or does anyone have a idea what is the problem here?

Thanks

<font color=purple><b>Brad</b></font color=purple>

Try pressing the "del" key when booting up to enter the bios, and check the first section to see what your keyboard settings are. If your ps2 keyboard plug is bad on the mobo, you may want to try a keyboard with a usb plug.

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Arrr... I don't think so. Pressing the DEL key would require a working keyboard, would it not?

The keyboard is dead. POST reports a Keyboard not connected error.

As it cannot see the keyboard, using the DEL key is useless and therefore, I cannot get into bios.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Yeah - it sounds like you've got a faulty mobo. Like the other guy said, short of replacing it you might be able to get by with a USB keyboard (if your MB supports it) otherwise you're probably SOL. Too bad. Are you sure you cleared CMOS properly? Removing the battery for an hour or so will definitely get it.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I took the motherboard back to the distributor here in Sydney Aust. They tested it there and then, and sure enough, it's faulty.

Now get this. They are going to give me another one, but they don't have one in stock. Therefore they are going to order it in, and as it is Chinese New Year, they say that will take up to 2 weeks!!

I think I'll just go out and buy a new motherboard (not Chaintech this time). My time is worth more than that.