mb

Using NetMeeting it was possible to call an IP address directly. Everything
I have seen so far about Windows Messenger ( and MSN Messenger) indicates
that connections are initiated through a server; i.e. you login using NET
passport, etc. Is it possible to call an IP address using Messenger?

jw

Absolutely just type it in, there is no requirement to use a server. All
the server does it give the IP back to NetMeeting which it what it then
uses. You can also call my computer name on a LAN.

"MB" <MB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Using NetMeeting it was possible to call an IP address directly.
> Everything
> I have seen so far about Windows Messenger ( and MSN Messenger) indicates
> that connections are initiated through a server; i.e. you login using NET
> passport, etc. Is it possible to call an IP address using Messenger?

jw

I misunderstood your question as how to call by IP addressee in NetMeeting
and have withdrawn my previous response.
"JW" <anonymous@Nospam.Iam> wrote in message
> Absolutely just type it in, there is no requirement to use a server. All
> the server does it give the IP back to NetMeeting which it what it then
> uses. You can also call my computer name on a LAN.
>
> "MB" <MB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Using NetMeeting it was possible to call an IP address directly.
>> Everything
>> I have seen so far about Windows Messenger ( and MSN Messenger) indicates
>> that connections are initiated through a server; i.e. you login using NET
>> passport, etc. Is it possible to call an IP address using Messenger?

Hi MB,

No Messenger requires a server of some kind to be connected and authenticated, you cannot go
direct from IP to IP.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert