How to locate the hotspot

Hi
I just moved in to my new flat, and i turned on my
Wireless connection on my Laptop. I have vey stron signal
but i do not know how to locate the source. I would like
to put myself in tiuch with the owner of the box.
I recived IP assigned by DHCP but the card is not reciveing
any packets (only sending).

Do you know any software which could help to resolve the name or
somehow teh location of the hotspot?

Many thanks
Regards
Mick
2 answers Last reply
More about locate hotspot

    "Mick" <mick77@poczta.onet.pl> wrote in news:ccmnkm$2l8$1@news.onet.pl:

    > Do you know any software which could help to resolve the name or
    > somehow teh location of the hotspot?

    If your area is densely packed... it's all but impossible to trace the
    location.

    You can try an SNMP tool to see if the user enter his/her name into the
    AP/Router's SNMP parameter fields.

    --
    Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

    Mick <mick77@poczta.onet.pl> wrote:
    > Hi
    > I just moved in to my new flat, and i turned on my
    > Wireless connection on my Laptop. I have vey stron signal
    > but i do not know how to locate the source. I would like
    > to put myself in tiuch with the owner of the box.

    You could try walking down the hall with your laptop while running
    Netstumbler. This is how I locate unsecured WAPs at work.

    You might also try blocking the signal with a cookie sheet or just your
    hand, to see if you can determine the direction.

    http://www.netstumbler.com

    --
    ---

Wireless Wireless Networking