Using Windows Messenger internally in a company

Is there a way to setup Windows Messenger (on Windows XP Pro SP2 PCs) so
that my users would be able to communicate with each other only and the
messages wouldn't have to go out through the Internet (for security
reasons)? The only way this seems possible is to use Microsoft's Live
Communications Server. Any ideas how to achieve this?

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm afraid not, you will need either a Live Comm Server or Exchange Server do to what you
suggest here.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"epigram" <nospam@spammy.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to setup Windows Messenger (on Windows XP Pro SP2 PCs) so that my users
> would be able to communicate with each other only and the messages wouldn't have to go out
> through the Internet (for security reasons)? The only way this seems possible is to use
> Microsoft's Live Communications Server. Any ideas how to achieve this?
>
> Thanks!

I am running SBS 2003 which has Exchange Server 2003. Can you point me to
any documents that describe how to make this work?

Thanks!

> Hi,
>
> I'm afraid not, you will need either a Live Comm Server or Exchange Server
> do to what you suggest here.
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "epigram" <nospam@spammy.com> wrote in message
>> Is there a way to setup Windows Messenger (on Windows XP Pro SP2 PCs) so
>> that my users would be able to communicate with each other only and the
>> messages wouldn't have to go out through the Internet (for security
>> reasons)? The only way this seems possible is to use Microsoft's Live
>> Communications Server. Any ideas how to achieve this?
>>
>> Thanks!

Hi,

Sorry, I should be more specific -- the Exchange IM Server is what's needed (which is only in
Exchange 2000 I'm afraid).

>I am running SBS 2003 which has Exchange Server 2003. Can you point me to any documents
>that describe how to make this work?
>
> Thanks!
>

> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm afraid not, you will need either a Live Comm Server or Exchange Server do to what you
>> suggest here.
>> Jonathan Kay
>> Associate Expert
>> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
>>
>> "epigram" <nospam@spammy.com> wrote in message
>>> Is there a way to setup Windows Messenger (on Windows XP Pro SP2 PCs) so that my users
>>> would be able to communicate with each other only and the messages wouldn't have to go
>>> out through the Internet (for security reasons)? The only way this seems possible is to
>>> use Microsoft's Live Communications Server. Any ideas how to achieve this?
>>>
>>> Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS