Adobe 6.1 launches Windows Installer

I am having the same problem with Windows Messenger and Abobe 6.1 though I am
in an enterprise environment where it is not feasible to go and uninstall and
reinstall the application on 50000 + machines. Since this is not just an
application, but also fixes a security vulnerability, is there any effort
underway to resolve the Windows installer issue.

I too would like to see an enterprise fix, not a home user work-around to the
Windows Installer “bug� that is affecting Adobe and Windows Messenger. After
all the main reason for me to upgrade to Windows Messenger 5.1 is for
compatibility with my Live Communications Server 2005 which is an enterprise
product...
It is not feasible for me to ask users to type “msiexec /x
{1F0BD960-6525-4FEE-B577-2473F77F1277}� it’s also not feasible to walk around
and manually fix it on hundreds of computers.

"jcfarme" wrote:

> I am having the same problem with Windows Messenger and Abobe 6.1 though I am
> in an enterprise environment where it is not feasible to go and uninstall and
> reinstall the application on 50000 + machines. Since this is not just an
> application, but also fixes a security vulnerability, is there any effort
> underway to resolve the Windows installer issue.

Bret, i have been working with Microsoft for the last 4 days to get a
resolution or a work around. i have been testing their workaround and it
seems to work but I am still not comfortable deploying it. They are saying
that it could be anywhere from 2 days to 3 weeks before a hotfix is released
or a product upgrade. In the meantime the workaround with an SMS deployment
is to install using their msi and then launch Messenger through the start
menu which will allow the Windows installer to self heal when a user launches
it and bypass the configuration process. I am still seeing 2 errors in
eventviewer but the configuration seems to finish and I haven't seen any more
problems with Adoibe.

"Bret" wrote:

> I too would like to see an enterprise fix, not a home user work-around to the
> Windows Installer “bug� that is affecting Adobe and Windows Messenger. After
> all the main reason for me to upgrade to Windows Messenger 5.1 is for
> compatibility with my Live Communications Server 2005 which is an enterprise
> product...
> It is not feasible for me to ask users to type “msiexec /x
> {1F0BD960-6525-4FEE-B577-2473F77F1277}� it’s also not feasible to walk around
> and manually fix it on hundreds of computers.
>

> "jcfarme" wrote:
>
> > I am having the same problem with Windows Messenger and Abobe 6.1 though I am
> > in an enterprise environment where it is not feasible to go and uninstall and
> > reinstall the application on 50000 + machines. Since this is not just an
> > application, but also fixes a security vulnerability, is there any effort
> > underway to resolve the Windows installer issue.

That’s not the answer that I was hoping for (hoping for a hotfix), but thank
you for it anyway. I don’t have SMS as of yet. I deployed messenger 5.1 with
a GPO, as an upgrade to 5.0. I'll play around with redeploying it or try some
scripting; meanwhile my desktop guy is running around like a mad man fixing
it upon request. You’d think that during beta testing of 5.1 someone would
have discovered this problem, especially since there was recently the same
problem with the journal viewer.
Thanks for your help.

"jcfarme" wrote:

> Bret, i have been working with Microsoft for the last 4 days to get a
> resolution or a work around. i have been testing their workaround and it
> seems to work but I am still not comfortable deploying it. They are saying
> that it could be anywhere from 2 days to 3 weeks before a hotfix is released
> or a product upgrade. In the meantime the workaround with an SMS deployment
> is to install using their msi and then launch Messenger through the start
> menu which will allow the Windows installer to self heal when a user launches
> it and bypass the configuration process. I am still seeing 2 errors in
> eventviewer but the configuration seems to finish and I haven't seen any more
> problems with Adoibe.
>
> "Bret" wrote:
>
> > I too would like to see an enterprise fix, not a home user work-around to the
> > Windows Installer “bug� that is affecting Adobe and Windows Messenger. After
> > all the main reason for me to upgrade to Windows Messenger 5.1 is for
> > compatibility with my Live Communications Server 2005 which is an enterprise
> > product...
> > It is not feasible for me to ask users to type “msiexec /x
> > {1F0BD960-6525-4FEE-B577-2473F77F1277}� it’s also not feasible to walk around
> > and manually fix it on hundreds of computers.
> >

> > "jcfarme" wrote:
> >
> > > I am having the same problem with Windows Messenger and Abobe 6.1 though I am
> > > in an enterprise environment where it is not feasible to go and uninstall and
> > > reinstall the application on 50000 + machines. Since this is not just an
> > > application, but also fixes a security vulnerability, is there any effort
> > > underway to resolve the Windows installer issue.

Bret, There is an updated version of Windows Messenger available for download
even though the version is the same. I spoke with our TAM and he confirmed
that the Windows Installer fix is incorporated into this release

"Bret" wrote:

> That’s not the answer that I was hoping for (hoping for a hotfix), but thank
> you for it anyway. I don’t have SMS as of yet. I deployed messenger 5.1 with
> a GPO, as an upgrade to 5.0. I'll play around with redeploying it or try some
> scripting; meanwhile my desktop guy is running around like a mad man fixing
> it upon request. You’d think that during beta testing of 5.1 someone would
> have discovered this problem, especially since there was recently the same
> problem with the journal viewer.
> Thanks for your help.
>
> "jcfarme" wrote:
>
> > Bret, i have been working with Microsoft for the last 4 days to get a
> > resolution or a work around. i have been testing their workaround and it
> > seems to work but I am still not comfortable deploying it. They are saying
> > that it could be anywhere from 2 days to 3 weeks before a hotfix is released
> > or a product upgrade. In the meantime the workaround with an SMS deployment
> > is to install using their msi and then launch Messenger through the start
> > menu which will allow the Windows installer to self heal when a user launches
> > it and bypass the configuration process. I am still seeing 2 errors in
> > eventviewer but the configuration seems to finish and I haven't seen any more
> > problems with Adoibe.
> >
> > "Bret" wrote:
> >
> > > I too would like to see an enterprise fix, not a home user work-around to the
> > > Windows Installer “bug� that is affecting Adobe and Windows Messenger. After
> > > all the main reason for me to upgrade to Windows Messenger 5.1 is for
> > > compatibility with my Live Communications Server 2005 which is an enterprise
> > > product...
> > > It is not feasible for me to ask users to type “msiexec /x
> > > {1F0BD960-6525-4FEE-B577-2473F77F1277}� it’s also not feasible to walk around
> > > and manually fix it on hundreds of computers.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.