nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I was wondering if anyone had all the ports that are required for WM. I can
send an instant message, but I get a host can't be resolved message after
trying to either send a file or picture, ask for remote assistance, start a
video connection, white pages, audio, or application sharing.
TIA
--
Nick Haury

jw

wish i could help, but since i use ZoneAlarm, i do not need to know all
the ports and tweaks required for Win (or MSN) Messenger, or any other
program.

i simply check Allow under the column labeled Internet Access, and check
Ask under the column labeled Server Rights. Then, it just works without
ever knowing what ports are required.

Nick wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone had all the ports that are required for WM. I can
> send an instant message, but I get a host can't be resolved message after
> trying to either send a file or picture, ask for remote assistance, start a
> video connection, white pages, audio, or application sharing.
> TIA

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Problem is these ports are for my wireless router

"JW" wrote:

> wish i could help, but since i use ZoneAlarm, i do not need to know all
> the ports and tweaks required for Win (or MSN) Messenger, or any other
> program.
>
> i simply check Allow under the column labeled Internet Access, and check
> Ask under the column labeled Server Rights. Then, it just works without
> ever knowing what ports are required.
>

> Nick wrote:
> > I was wondering if anyone had all the ports that are required for WM. I can
> > send an instant message, but I get a host can't be resolved message after
> > trying to either send a file or picture, ask for remote assistance, start a
> > video connection, white pages, audio, or application sharing.
> > TIA

Greetings Nick,

Just opening ports for your router won't solve the problem (unless the router supports some
sort of Application Layer Gateway for Messenger that's activated by doing so). The router
will need support Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) in order for this functionality to work
properly. A lot of routers now support this, so you'll probably either need to turn it on in
the router configuration and/or upgrade to a newer firmware release for the router so that it
can support UPnP.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Nick" <Nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I was wondering if anyone had all the ports that are required for WM. I can
> send an instant message, but I get a host can't be resolved message after
> trying to either send a file or picture, ask for remote assistance, start a
> video connection, white pages, audio, or application sharing.
> TIA
> --
> Nick Haury

jw

have you tried looking at articles such as
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/windowsmessenger/expert/bowman_december24.mspx
and
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/worki01.mspx#EIAA

the second article has very specific information about what scenarios
require ports to be manually opened, and what ports are required for
Windows Messenger to work.

Nick wrote:
> Problem is these ports are for my wireless router
>
> "JW" wrote:
>

>>wish i could help, but since i use ZoneAlarm, i do not need to know all
>>the ports and tweaks required for Win (or MSN) Messenger, or any other
>>program.
>>
>>i simply check Allow under the column labeled Internet Access, and check
>>Ask under the column labeled Server Rights. Then, it just works without
>>ever knowing what ports are required.
>>

>>Nick wrote:
>>
>>>I was wondering if anyone had all the ports that are required for WM. I can
>>>send an instant message, but I get a host can't be resolved message after
>>>trying to either send a file or picture, ask for remote assistance, start a
>>>video connection, white pages, audio, or application sharing.
>>>TIA

Sorry to revive an old, probably dead thread, but my question is
related. I am trying to use Remote Assistance between two XP machines
behind home routers. Novice behind a Linksys router with default
configuration. Expert behind a Linksys router, then a DLink router.
All routers have latest firmware, so they at least are aware of UPnP,
and have it enabled.

My understanding is that if only one machine is behind either nothing,
or a UPnP-enabled router, it should work aas long as we send the Remote
Assistance request via Windows Messenger.

The request is sent and received, but it gives the 'cannot resolve
hostname' message, and fails. What am I missing? I have even tried
putting the novice machine in the DMZ for its router to no avail.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JIm

--