Sign in with
Your question

Advice on Upgradability of current Athlon mobo's

Last response: in Motherboards
February 10, 2002 2:01:52 PM

Hi, I'm on a tight budget at the moment and I need a very future proof system to see me through to university, and I need your help as to how best to spend my money.

Reliable rumor has it that the Athlon Throughbreds with a 333Mhz Front Side Bus are gonna start shipping in a couple of months if not sooner. Now, I saw a report here (http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/01/11/14/01111...) that the new Thoroughbred was using a current Athlon Chipset (AMD760) at Comdex and I had a thought.

If I buy a system using a plain Athlon XP, using a current Athlon chipset and Motherboard that can use 333Mhz DDR RAM (I.e. Soltek SL75DRV4), then in theory when the time comes for Thoroughbred to be released, if I want to upgrade my system all I would have to do is buy a Thoroughbred CPU and slot it into my existing motherboard and I'd have no troubles? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
February 10, 2002 10:47:38 PM

Hey F,

You are assuming that your mobo will throw out a Bios update that will allow the multiplier to go higher and see the correct CPU. The Truth: I would not trust the mobo makers to create a new Bios Update..........wait until the CPU comes out and wait for AMD's approved mobo list, if you want a better future proof system.........that is if you don't need a system right now. Good Luck

Peace Out..................tile

WHAT????? I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE ROAR OF MY CASE FANS! YOU'LL HAVE TO SCREAM!
February 11, 2002 2:57:34 AM

fat1,

I tend to agree with tilepusher. You can't "count" on being able to upgrade to something that is not here yet. Certainly there are better bets than others (for and Athlon, something that runs today officially with 166mhz motherboard fsb with PC2700 DDR). On the otherhand, I have not seen anything official that the Thoroughbreds will use 166fsb (though it makes sense). Maybe they'll make both 266 and 333 DDR fsb like they did with Athlon B's and C's before the XP.

I'm stuck with an Iwill KK266 that just can't be trusted to run an XP even though Iwill says it can. So my max. upgrade is to 1.4 (plus O/C which the KK excel's at). Quite disappointing. It seems AMD did something to the XP that messes up the timing at boot, so most KK's (and most KT133a boards) don't work.

BW
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 24, 2002 2:30:15 PM

Hi:

I'm also looking into this as well as a prelude to the system that I'll be building this summer :) 

From my research I seriously thought that the Thoroughbred's will work with corrent motherboards because the Thoroughbred's will be fabricated on the .13 micron process, while current processors are made on the .18 process.

I interpret this to mean that the socket for the Thoroughbred will be different--not the current Socket 462. If I'm correct (am I, anyone?), Thoroughbred won't work with any current motherboards.

Care to share the breakdown of what you plan to make into your computer? I'm about to start the research and compiling item process now :) 

/CHEERS!

A nice day to all.
February 24, 2002 2:35:37 PM

Agree, even if such work, might not work as well as the boards made to work with the Thor bred.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 24, 2002 2:38:13 PM

Agreeing to fat1 or readysetgo? *grin*

/CHEERS!

A nice day to all.
February 24, 2002 2:53:17 PM

I would agree to waiting too, I believe your saying it won't work, that's OK, too, cause either way I would wait. Now does everybody understand my point of view;)
a c 435 V Motherboard
February 24, 2002 6:19:53 PM

Newegg's refurbished section has great deals on athlon motherboards, starting at $49 including shipping. Your main decision would be whether to use your leftover memory on the new board. I would go ahead and get one of these boards and whatever cpu you can afford. Any new stuff will carry a premium price.
February 26, 2002 11:46:53 PM

Now don't quote me on this, but I believe the Thoroughbred will be pin compatible with the current mobo's. Someone told me that AMD is making the Hammers pin compatible as well, but that I don't believe.

Now pin compatible doesn't mean that current mobo's will work. When AMD released the XP it was pin compatible with the Athlon, but some boards still wouldn't work. Although it had the same number of pins and would fit in an Athlon socket, 4 pins that were previously dead on the Athlon were live on the XP. The smart mobo manif. knew this in advance and started wiring those 4 pins months in advance. Then when the XP CPU's were released it only required a bios update to make your mobo compatible. Asus was the best at this. Other mobo manif. (such as IWILL) didn't do this, and had to make a whole new model while ASUS and a few others could keep pushing out there existing boards.

So what is my point in all this? Personally I would wait until ASUS releases a kt333 chipset mobo and get that. Pop in an XP 1700 and hope that it will be Thoroughbred compatible. The only reason that I recommend ASUS over other manifacturers is that they were the best at the Athlon to XP conversion. They had XP compatible boards out 2 months before anyone else. I recommend the kt333 as it already has ddr 2700 support.

Of course, your mobo won't make it through to the Hammer series of processors, but that's another story. There will always be something better just over the horizon. If you wait until the next best thing is released, you'll be waiting forever.

Oh, and a die shrink doesn't necessarly mean a new socket is necessary. It'll make the core smaller but they can still use the same packaging. AMD has been using the same socket for quite some time, unlike Intel who seem to require a new socket every few months.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.
February 27, 2002 12:55:27 AM

Quote:

Now pin compatible doesn't mean that current mobo's will work. When AMD released the XP it was pin compatible with the Athlon, but some boards still wouldn't work. Although it had the same number of pins and would fit in an Athlon socket, 4 pins that were previously dead on the Athlon were live on the XP. The smart mobo manif. knew this in advance and started wiring those 4 pins months in advance. Then when the XP CPU's were released it only required a bios update to make your mobo compatible. Asus was the best at this. Other mobo manif. (such as IWILL) didn't do this, and had to make a whole new model while ASUS and a few others could keep pushing out there existing boards.

Actually, IWill's KK266 is compatible with the Athlon XP. It's Abit's KT7A v.1.0 to 1.2 that isn't compatible.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
February 27, 2002 2:32:02 AM

Quote:
Actually, IWill's KK266 is compatible with the Athlon XP. It's Abit's KT7A v.1.0 to 1.2 that isn't compatible.

So says Iwill! Others would disagree.

BW
!