PC doesn't recognize CD/DVD drives

My Dell Dimension XPS T has ceased recognizing any of my CD or DVD drives.
I have re-installed each drive several times and it still fails to find the
drives on boot. I have also tried a USB connected CD drive, which worked for
a short time, and now is not found by my machine.I have two hard drives and
both are recognized (C: and D:) as is my floppy drive (E:). Here is what is
in the box:

1 5338E PROCESSOR MODULE, 80525, 500, 512K, SL1, PENTIUM III, B0
1 7073D CARD (CIRCUIT), PLANAR (MOTHERBOARD), W/O AUD, DIMENSION,
XPS-TXXX
1 31324 CORD, POWER, 6FT, SJT
1 3362D MOUSE, PERSONAL SYSTEM 2, 6P, 3 BUTTON, WHEEL, LOGITECH
1 1324P PAD, MOUSE, DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION
1 4780D KEYBOARD, 104, 6P, UNITED STATES, WINDOWS 95, RUBBERDOME,
CMOS4
1 25515 DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 128, 100M, 16X64, 4K, 168
1 07005 CARD (CIRCUIT), MULTI-MEDIA, AUDIO, 64PCI
1 57589 CABLE, AUDIO, MOLEX TO MOLEX
1 0170E COMPACT DISK DRIVE, DIGITAL VIDEO DISK DRIVE, 680M, 4.7GB, I,
5.25" FORM FACTOR, TOS
1 98483 CABLE, DORADO/ATHENS/TUALATIN/ALMODOR, COMPACT DISK DRIVE,
ENHANCED INTEGRATED DRIVE ELECTRONICS, DUAL, KLINGER
1 3239C KIT, SPEAKER, MULTI-MEDIA, ACS295, CIRCUIT (CIRCUIT ASSY),
AMF, ALTERNATE
1 2513E MODEM, 56K, INTERNAL, 3COM, PC INTERFACE, V90, DELL AMERICAS
ORGANIZATION
1 5740C CABLE, AUXILIARY, INTERNAL, MODEM, 4C
1 7286D KIT, MODEM, 56K, PC INTERFACE, 3COM, ASIA, LATIN AMERICA,
NORTH AMERICA
1 55341 DISPLAY, MULTISCAN, COLOR, 17, DUAL, D1025TM, UNITED STATES
1 0529P CARD (CIRCUIT), GRAPHICS, VIDEO, 16MB, DOUBLE SPEED,
ACCELERATED GRAPHICS PORT, DIAMOND
1 0747P HARD DRIVE, 13.6GB, I, 3.5" FORM FACTOR, 1IN, NO CONTROLLER/NO
CABLES, WESTERN DIGITAL REVOLUTION
1 1970E CABLE, DORADO/ATHENS/TUALATIN/ALMODOR, FLAT, ENHANCED
INTEGRATED DRIVE ELECTRONICS, DIMENSION, KLINGER
1 98480 CABLE, DORADO/ATHENS/TUALATIN/ALMODOR, FLOPPY DRIVE, KLINGER
1 9886C FLOPPY DRIVE, 1.44M, 3.5" FORM FAC

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Not sure why your floppy is E: and not A: Have you checked your BIOS to see
if the settings have changed and if so, checked to see if you need to
replace your CMOS battery? While your in there, ensure all connections are
good.

"Hank Conner" <hank.conner@gmail.com> wrote in message
> My Dell Dimension XPS T has ceased recognizing any of my CD or DVD drives.
> I have re-installed each drive several times and it still fails to find
> the drives on boot. I have also tried a USB connected CD drive, which
> worked for a short time, and now is not found by my machine.I have two
> hard drives and both are recognized (C: and D:) as is my floppy drive
> (E:). Here is what is in the box:
>
> 1 5338E PROCESSOR MODULE, 80525, 500, 512K, SL1, PENTIUM III, B0
> 1 7073D CARD (CIRCUIT), PLANAR (MOTHERBOARD), W/O AUD, DIMENSION,
> XPS-TXXX
> 1 31324 CORD, POWER, 6FT, SJT
> 1 3362D MOUSE, PERSONAL SYSTEM 2, 6P, 3 BUTTON, WHEEL, LOGITECH
> 1 1324P PAD, MOUSE, DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION
> 1 4780D KEYBOARD, 104, 6P, UNITED STATES, WINDOWS 95, RUBBERDOME,
> CMOS4
> 1 25515 DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 128, 100M, 16X64, 4K, 168
> 1 07005 CARD (CIRCUIT), MULTI-MEDIA, AUDIO, 64PCI
> 1 57589 CABLE, AUDIO, MOLEX TO MOLEX
> 1 0170E COMPACT DISK DRIVE, DIGITAL VIDEO DISK DRIVE, 680M, 4.7GB, I,
> 5.25" FORM FACTOR, TOS
> 1 98483 CABLE, DORADO/ATHENS/TUALATIN/ALMODOR, COMPACT DISK DRIVE,
> ENHANCED INTEGRATED DRIVE ELECTRONICS, DUAL, KLINGER
> 1 3239C KIT, SPEAKER, MULTI-MEDIA, ACS295, CIRCUIT (CIRCUIT ASSY),
> AMF, ALTERNATE
> 1 2513E MODEM, 56K, INTERNAL, 3COM, PC INTERFACE, V90, DELL AMERICAS
> ORGANIZATION
> 1 5740C CABLE, AUXILIARY, INTERNAL, MODEM, 4C
> 1 7286D KIT, MODEM, 56K, PC INTERFACE, 3COM, ASIA, LATIN AMERICA,
> NORTH AMERICA
> 1 55341 DISPLAY, MULTISCAN, COLOR, 17, DUAL, D1025TM, UNITED STATES
> 1 0529P CARD (CIRCUIT), GRAPHICS, VIDEO, 16MB, DOUBLE SPEED,
> ACCELERATED GRAPHICS PORT, DIAMOND
> 1 0747P HARD DRIVE, 13.6GB, I, 3.5" FORM FACTOR, 1IN, NO
> CONTROLLER/NO CABLES, WESTERN DIGITAL REVOLUTION
> 1 1970E CABLE, DORADO/ATHENS/TUALATIN/ALMODOR, FLAT, ENHANCED
> INTEGRATED DRIVE ELECTRONICS, DIMENSION, KLINGER
> 1 98480 CABLE, DORADO/ATHENS/TUALATIN/ALMODOR, FLOPPY DRIVE, KLINGER
> 1 9886C FLOPPY DRIVE, 1.44M, 3.5" FORM FAC
>

> Any suggestions? Thanks.

Not sure why your floppy is E: and not A: Have you checked your BIOS to see
if the settings have changed and if so, checked to see if you need to
replace your CMOS battery? While you're in there, ensure all connections
are
good.

"Hank Conner" <hank.conner@gmail.com> wrote in message
> My Dell Dimension XPS T has ceased recognizing any of my CD or DVD drives.
> I have re-installed each drive several times and it still fails to find
> the drives on boot. I have also tried a USB connected CD drive, which
> worked for a short time, and now is not found by my machine.I have two
> hard drives and both are recognized (C: and D:) as is my floppy drive
> (E:). Here is what is in the box:
>
> 1 5338E PROCESSOR MODULE, 80525, 500, 512K, SL1, PENTIUM III, B0
> 1 7073D CARD (CIRCUIT), PLANAR (MOTHERBOARD), W/O AUD, DIMENSION,
> XPS-TXXX
> 1 31324 CORD, POWER, 6FT, SJT
> 1 3362D MOUSE, PERSONAL SYSTEM 2, 6P, 3 BUTTON, WHEEL, LOGITECH
> 1 1324P PAD, MOUSE, DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION
> 1 4780D KEYBOARD, 104, 6P, UNITED STATES, WINDOWS 95, RUBBERDOME,
> CMOS4
> 1 25515 DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 128, 100M, 16X64, 4K, 168
> 1 07005 CARD (CIRCUIT), MULTI-MEDIA, AUDIO, 64PCI
> 1 57589 CABLE, AUDIO, MOLEX TO MOLEX
> 1 0170E COMPACT DISK DRIVE, DIGITAL VIDEO DISK DRIVE, 680M, 4.7GB, I,
> 5.25" FORM FACTOR, TOS
> 1 98483 CABLE, DORADO/ATHENS/TUALATIN/ALMODOR, COMPACT DISK DRIVE,
> ENHANCED INTEGRATED DRIVE ELECTRONICS, DUAL, KLINGER
> 1 3239C KIT, SPEAKER, MULTI-MEDIA, ACS295, CIRCUIT (CIRCUIT ASSY),
> AMF, ALTERNATE
> 1 2513E MODEM, 56K, INTERNAL, 3COM, PC INTERFACE, V90, DELL AMERICAS
> ORGANIZATION
> 1 5740C CABLE, AUXILIARY, INTERNAL, MODEM, 4C
> 1 7286D KIT, MODEM, 56K, PC INTERFACE, 3COM, ASIA, LATIN AMERICA,
> NORTH AMERICA
> 1 55341 DISPLAY, MULTISCAN, COLOR, 17, DUAL, D1025TM, UNITED STATES
> 1 0529P CARD (CIRCUIT), GRAPHICS, VIDEO, 16MB, DOUBLE SPEED,
> ACCELERATED GRAPHICS PORT, DIAMOND
> 1 0747P HARD DRIVE, 13.6GB, I, 3.5" FORM FACTOR, 1IN, NO
> CONTROLLER/NO CABLES, WESTERN DIGITAL REVOLUTION
> 1 1970E CABLE, DORADO/ATHENS/TUALATIN/ALMODOR, FLAT, ENHANCED
> INTEGRATED DRIVE ELECTRONICS, DIMENSION, KLINGER
> 1 98480 CABLE, DORADO/ATHENS/TUALATIN/ALMODOR, FLOPPY DRIVE, KLINGER
> 1 9886C FLOPPY DRIVE, 1.44M, 3.5" FORM FAC
>

> Any suggestions? Thanks.

I stand corrected the floppy drive is A; (the PC in question is at our lake
house and I'm currently at home). My bad. I will follow your instructions on
the BIOS settings and the CMOS battery. Thanks, Mark.

"mdp" <markdpend@spambegone.aol.com> wrote in message
> Not sure why your floppy is E: and not A: Have you checked your BIOS to
> see
> if the settings have changed and if so, checked to see if you need to
> replace your CMOS battery? While you're in there, ensure all connections
> are
> good.
>
> "Hank Conner" <hank.conner@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> My Dell Dimension XPS T has ceased recognizing any of my CD or DVD
>> drives. I have re-installed each drive several times and it still fails
>> to find the drives on boot. I have also tried a USB connected CD drive,
>> which worked for a short time, and now is not found by my machine.I have
>> two hard drives and both are recognized (C: and D:) as is my floppy drive
>> (E:). Here is what is in the box:
>>
>> 1 5338E PROCESSOR MODULE, 80525, 500, 512K, SL1, PENTIUM III, B0
>> 1 7073D CARD (CIRCUIT), PLANAR (MOTHERBOARD), W/O AUD, DIMENSION,
>> XPS-TXXX
>> 1 31324 CORD, POWER, 6FT, SJT
>> 1 3362D MOUSE, PERSONAL SYSTEM 2, 6P, 3 BUTTON, WHEEL, LOGITECH
>> 1 1324P PAD, MOUSE, DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION
>> 1 4780D KEYBOARD, 104, 6P, UNITED STATES, WINDOWS 95, RUBBERDOME,
>> CMOS4
>> 1 25515 DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 128, 100M, 16X64, 4K, 168
>> 1 07005 CARD (CIRCUIT), MULTI-MEDIA, AUDIO, 64PCI
>> 1 57589 CABLE, AUDIO, MOLEX TO MOLEX
>> 1 0170E COMPACT DISK DRIVE, DIGITAL VIDEO DISK DRIVE, 680M, 4.7GB,
>> I, 5.25" FORM FACTOR, TOS
>> 1 98483 CABLE, DORADO/ATHENS/TUALATIN/ALMODOR, COMPACT DISK DRIVE,
>> ENHANCED INTEGRATED DRIVE ELECTRONICS, DUAL, KLINGER
>> 1 3239C KIT, SPEAKER, MULTI-MEDIA, ACS295, CIRCUIT (CIRCUIT ASSY),
>> AMF, ALTERNATE
>> 1 2513E MODEM, 56K, INTERNAL, 3COM, PC INTERFACE, V90, DELL AMERICAS
>> ORGANIZATION
>> 1 5740C CABLE, AUXILIARY, INTERNAL, MODEM, 4C
>> 1 7286D KIT, MODEM, 56K, PC INTERFACE, 3COM, ASIA, LATIN AMERICA,
>> NORTH AMERICA
>> 1 55341 DISPLAY, MULTISCAN, COLOR, 17, DUAL, D1025TM, UNITED STATES
>> 1 0529P CARD (CIRCUIT), GRAPHICS, VIDEO, 16MB, DOUBLE SPEED,
>> ACCELERATED GRAPHICS PORT, DIAMOND
>> 1 0747P HARD DRIVE, 13.6GB, I, 3.5" FORM FACTOR, 1IN, NO
>> CONTROLLER/NO CABLES, WESTERN DIGITAL REVOLUTION
>> 1 1970E CABLE, DORADO/ATHENS/TUALATIN/ALMODOR, FLAT, ENHANCED
>> INTEGRATED DRIVE ELECTRONICS, DIMENSION, KLINGER
>> 1 98480 CABLE, DORADO/ATHENS/TUALATIN/ALMODOR, FLOPPY DRIVE, KLINGER
>> 1 9886C FLOPPY DRIVE, 1.44M, 3.5" FORM FAC
>>

>> Any suggestions? Thanks.

Hank,

Try the drives one at a time (one disconnected). They should both be
jumpered Cable Select. Try them on both spots on the cable. Remember to
turn off the drive in the BIOS when it is not connected.

I would bet either

1) 1 spot on the cable is bad

or

2) 1 drive is bad

Tom

> Hank,
>
> Try the drives one at a time (one disconnected). They should both be
> jumpered Cable Select. Try them on both spots on the cable. Remember to
> turn off the drive in the BIOS when it is not connected.
>
> I would bet either
>
> 1) 1 spot on the cable is bad
>
> or
>
> 2) 1 drive is bad
>
> Tom

Also, given the machine's age, it could've taken a power bounce poorly.

DEL into BIOS and press F9 (to restore BIOS defaults), enter for ok, then
right-arrow to "BOOT configuration", arrow down to "reset configuration
data", press enter, and change to "yes". Press enter and then F10 to save
changes, and then enter once more.....

Stew

TRENDING THREADS