Solidox2k

Distinguished
May 24, 2003
i once upgraded from ME to XP w/o probs, and didn't have this prob. it also doesn't happen on other ppl's OEM comps.

i wanted to convert to NTFS, and was going to clean format my drive. i used the winxp boot disc to do this and install xp.

comp starts, POSTs, and then you get the "XP Loading" screen before xp loads. thats normal. but i get one more screen in there. its right before the "XP Loading" screen. i get a blank screen with a grey loading/progress bar at the bottom. the bar fills up and then i get to the "XP Loading" screen...... what is this grey progress bar? how can i get rid of it?

note: the progress bar is made up of the ASCII 'blocks'

other: i used the winxp disc to repartition the drive and make it ntfs, which in turn formatted it as well.

HDD: SCSI 1028MB Maxtor (old, for testing purposes).

My friend installed from boot disc but did no partitioning or formatting. he gets this bar too.

Any clues?

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
This sounds like it is a function of your BIOS during POST. Did you re-arrange your boot order during installation of XP? Check to see if your boot order is looking for the HDD first...and on my ASUS mobo there is an option for "Quick POST"

....WW (4.0)

KrazeIke

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
I have no idea what that bar is. I only know that I saw it when my hard drive was dying and haven't seen it since. I would be interested to know as well.

Solidox2k

Distinguished
May 24, 2003
actually, i found out its some windows system files loading prior to loading.....redundant...yes... its windows :-/

i think its your ntldr stuff or something. i forget now. either way im still curious...how come it doesn't happen on OEM or upgraded machines...hmm....

pat

Expert
You wont see it on fast machine, because it goes too fast. But on slower one, yes, you can see it.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!