Outlook Express and Windows vs. MSN Messenger

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Hi,

I'm having a problem with Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP SP2. Outlook
Express apparently interfaces with Windows Messenger, not MSN Messenger
as in previous Windows versions, so unless I have Windows Messenger
running, I don't see the online/offline status of people in my Address
Book. The problem is, I prefer using MSN Messenger, but even with MSN
Messenger loaded and signed in, I still can't see the online/offline
status in the address book because Windows Messenger is not
loaded/signed in. Is there anyway to fix this problem? I want to use
MSN Messenger and see the online/offline status in Outlook Express,
just as in previous Windows versions. I don't want to use Windows
Messenger at all.

Many thanks,
Nick
1 answer Last reply
More about outlook express windows messenger
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Greetings Nick,

    Unfortunately MSN Messenger will not integrate with Outlook Express so you won't be able to
    see the status of your contacts in this way.

    However, you can disable this function in Outlook Express so that it doesn't start or use
    Windows Messenger by closing Outlook Express, then downloading and running this .reg file:
    http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/stopmessenger_oe.reg
    Jonathan Kay
    Microsoft MVP - MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
    Associate Expert

    "Nick" <nick971@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm having a problem with Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP SP2. Outlook
    > Express apparently interfaces with Windows Messenger, not MSN Messenger
    > as in previous Windows versions, so unless I have Windows Messenger
    > running, I don't see the online/offline status of people in my Address
    > Book. The problem is, I prefer using MSN Messenger, but even with MSN
    > Messenger loaded and signed in, I still can't see the online/offline
    > status in the address book because Windows Messenger is not
    > loaded/signed in. Is there anyway to fix this problem? I want to use
    > MSN Messenger and see the online/offline status in Outlook Express,
    > just as in previous Windows versions. I don't want to use Windows
    > Messenger at all.
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > Nick

Outlook Express Messenger Microsoft MSN Messenger Windows XP