MN-720 Microsoft adapter with WPA

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

Hi,

I installed a Microsoft MN-700 wireless base and a MN-720 adapter card on my
laptop. Installation went fine. Internet connection is fine. I can access
the base through "Microsoft broadband network utility" and easily change the
wireless security setting to WPA with a passphrase.

But I cannot set my adapter to WPA on my laptop:
when a right-click on the network icon on my task bar and choose "Available
wireless network", the window shows NO network, the "advanced" button is
disabled and I can only click the "cancel" button to exit the window.

Any ideas how to proceed from here?

Don

If you're using Windows XP, go to the services menu and enable
Wireless Zero Configuration. (START, RUN then type "services.msc").
Afterwards, download the WPA patch from Microsoft if you haven't done
so already.

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 16:02:44 -0400, "Don" <don@xxxxx.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I installed a Microsoft MN-700 wireless base and a MN-720 adapter card on my
>laptop. Installation went fine. Internet connection is fine. I can access
>the base through "Microsoft broadband network utility" and easily change the
>wireless security setting to WPA with a passphrase.
>
>But I cannot set my adapter to WPA on my laptop:
>when a right-click on the network icon on my task bar and choose "Available
>wireless network", the window shows NO network, the "advanced" button is
>disabled and I can only click the "cancel" button to exit the window.
>
>Any ideas how to proceed from here?
>

>Don

Microsoft is suppose to fix the WPA problem this month (July 04) with a
firmware fix. The WPA in the MN-700 does work correctly. This is what I
was Microsoft told me via a telephone call. The WiFi sticker in the box
only means it was tested for WEP, see www.wifi.com

"Don" <don@xxxxx.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I installed a Microsoft MN-700 wireless base and a MN-720 adapter card on
my
> laptop. Installation went fine. Internet connection is fine. I can access
> the base through "Microsoft broadband network utility" and easily change
the
> wireless security setting to WPA with a passphrase.
>
> But I cannot set my adapter to WPA on my laptop:
> when a right-click on the network icon on my task bar and choose
"Available
> wireless network", the window shows NO network, the "advanced" button is
> disabled and I can only click the "cancel" button to exit the window.
>
> Any ideas how to proceed from here?
>

> Don

Ron

"Don" <don@xxxxx.com> wrote in message news:<ERCHc.46991$m77.911625@weber.videotron.net>...
> Hi,
>
> I installed a Microsoft MN-700 wireless base and a MN-720 adapter card on my
> laptop. Installation went fine. Internet connection is fine. I can access
> the base through "Microsoft broadband network utility" and easily change the
> wireless security setting to WPA with a passphrase.
>
> But I cannot set my adapter to WPA on my laptop:
> when a right-click on the network icon on my task bar and choose "Available
> wireless network", the window shows NO network, the "advanced" button is
> disabled and I can only click the "cancel" button to exit the window.
>
> Any ideas how to proceed from here?
>

> Don

I got the same package and you can set the adapter for WPA. The help
shows you how. If you see no wireless network, you probably got driver
conflict. Have you remove all software & drivers from a (I guess)

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 22:53:41 -0400, "Alvin Combs" <acombs@cox.net>
wrote:

>Microsoft is suppose to fix the WPA problem this month (July 04) with a
>firmware fix. The WPA in the MN-700 does work correctly. This is what I
>was Microsoft told me via a telephone call. The WiFi sticker in the box
>only means it was tested for WEP, see www.wifi.com

According to the Wi-Fi site, Microsloth has certified the MN-710, 720,
and 730 for WPA, but not the MN-700 and a bunch of others. See:
http://www.wi-fi.com/OpenSection/certified_products.asp?TID=2
and select Microsoft from the list of companies.

Y're right that the MN-700 access point is only certified for WEP.

# jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

"Ron" <svhs400@yahoo.com> a écrit dans le message de
> "Don" <don@xxxxx.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I installed a Microsoft MN-700 wireless base and a MN-720 adapter card
on my
> > laptop. Installation went fine. Internet connection is fine. I can
access
> > the base through "Microsoft broadband network utility" and easily change
the
> > wireless security setting to WPA with a passphrase.
> >
> > But I cannot set my adapter to WPA on my laptop:
> > when a right-click on the network icon on my task bar and choose
"Available
> > wireless network", the window shows NO network, the "advanced" button is
> > disabled and I can only click the "cancel" button to exit the window.
> >
> > Any ideas how to proceed from here?
> >

> > Don
>
> I got the same package and you can set the adapter for WPA. The help
> shows you how. If you see no wireless network, you probably got driver
> conflict. Have you remove all software & drivers from a (I guess)

Ok you found the guilty part. I had a Dlink Airplus sometime ago and tried
to remove the soft but the uninstall program stopped dead because of a
missing file. I let it go and almost forgot about it. After reading your
post last night, I reinstalled AirPlus than uninstalled it. This time
uninstalation was successfull.
Now... I can see my wifi network. And I could set my adpater to WPA.
Thanks!
Don