problems with ks75a mboard - please help!

G

hey,
a while back i decided to upgrade my comp, and bought a ks75a motherboard. on it i have an AMD k7 1.2ghz, a voodoo 3 3000 256megs of ram, and using the on board soundcard.

firstly, the quality of the soundcard is terrible, i cant get it to play well at all, mp3's sound terrible, even more so when there is a site loading. this isnt my main problem though.
the system itself seems to reset randomly, in the middle of doing something, the screen will black out, and restart - this is under win 98.
ive looked all over for motherboard bios updates or extra drivers/fixes but cannot find anything. Is this a hardware problem or have i set something up wrong??

id appreciate your input, thanks in advance.

G

My experiences with this board is that you need to go in and flash the bios to the latest version. It seems to be quite unstable without it. Then make sure you get the latest drivers. www.ecsusa.com The onboard sound is not much to brag about, no matter what ! You would be better off disabling it and installing a good PCI sound card.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
it shouldnt sound that bad....
SHOULDNT..
but the thing is, onboard things like soundcards, they use the cpu to do some(most) of the work...
you would be much better off getting a decent sound card, and making sure that your speakers are turned to a normal level.

also, just a thought...
my friends old computer, all the sounds sounded like the speakers were blown..
until i opened the sound control panel...(the speaker near the clock) and turned the output volume down on the main...
then, EVERYTHING sounded so much better, and he decided that he didnt need to buy new speakers anymore...which he didnt, since these ones could pump out enough bass now to make the wall shake on the other side of his house!

check that out, it is better to use the amp that is built in to your speakers than the one in windows/soundcard..
as for the random reboots...
if it is a REV4 board, you can check by looking at the white sticker near the pci slots..
if it is rev.4, then it might have the power problem...
check the power outputs from the powersupply, because this board is very picky when it comes to power...and if the psu isnt putting out correct voltages, then you are going to get a headache!

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

dhlucke

Polypheme
If it's restarting the first place to look is the PSU. What do you have?

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

SmileyBri

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am sorry to say that your board is bad. I have 6 of these and there is no bios update or other sys config that will solve it.

Please ppl, stop recomending this motherboard. It is a real nice board, but the majority of them I recieved were nothing but problems.

<font color=red><i>such madness</i></font color=red>

G

no one really needs to recommend them at aound ~$50 US they sell themselves.

I've built a couple, and they are solid as a rock, but I have aways insisted on excellent quality PSU's.

Did you answer my thread in the polls section about this mobo?

Please do. It will help keep the scores moving woth accuracy.

I suggest a decent PSU of at least 350W, but with the bad sound part, I can't give a good opinion other than the ones above. Maybe you're expecting too much from onboard sound, or is it really that bad?

:cool: <b><font color=blue>The Cisco Kid</font color=blue></b> :cool: