Tualatin Celeron & BX vs. P3-1Ghz & 815e

G

Maybe someone can help me. I can upgrade an Asus cusl2 (815e) to P3-1000. Or an Abit bx6-II to Celeron 1200.
I know that on the same M.B the Celeron will be quicker. But in my case the BX is UDMA-33 and AGP*2. And the 815e is UDMA-66 and AGP*4. So what's the best?

P.S.

P3-1000 is vanishing as we speak....

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The BX just plain outperforms the i815. My choice would be the PIII 1000EB on the BX6-II. The increased overall performance of the BX makes it outperform the i815 even in graphical apps, because it outweighs the 2x to 4x difference. If you really want the extra 2% performance difference, you can add a UDMA100 RAID controller for around $25.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

Remember the problem with 133Mhz bus in the BX, It has only 2/3 * AGP, so it could be a problem sometimes.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I tested my RadeonLE (overclocked to retail spec, with the retail features enabled) at the 1/1 ratio/100MHz, and it still worked. I have never personally seen a card that wouldn't run at 89MHz (2/3*133), but have heard that some older ones had problems. So far I've tested a Diamond V770 (TNT2), an STB 4400 (Riva 128ZX), a generic Intel i740, a GeForce2 GTS, and the Radeon LE, all passed at 89MHz on my system.

G

What about the AGP*2 in the BX boards?
Is it crucial in the new video cards?
Never saw a benchmark about that.

Normally I'd go with the BX solution (eager young BX apprentice of Crash), but this one only has UDMA33 according to lepton, so I'd be taking the mobo with the faster drives.

:cool: <b><font color=blue>The Cisco Kid</font color=blue></b> :cool:

Touche. Never thought of that. Also remembering that the i815 (ST6-R at least) only allows 512MB of RAM and the AGP aperture can only go as high as 64MB, I'd go with the revised BX deal.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, what does the BX support, 2GB? 4GB? Most motherboard manufacturers only list their max memory as 256MB times the number of DIMMs, but I know for certain the BX can support larger DIMMs.

G

A. First of all, for JCAW, I've got the legendary Celeron 300a overclocked to 464.
At www.xbitlabs.com (great site, by the way, sorry Tom) you can see in the hard drive comparison that UDMA 33 is much slower than UDMA 66, and okay, UDMA100 RAID card is probably a good solution.
B. 512GB for the 815, who needs more? (I don’t have a sever) Okay maybe three year from now, but then a P3-1000 will be the bottleneck
C. So, did someone see benchmark regarding AGP*x ?

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Crashman: i440BX:
ftp://download.intel.com/design/chipsets/datashts/29063301.pdf
"Integrated DRAM controller:
— 8 to 512 Mbytes or 1GB (with registered DIMMs)
— Supports up to 4 double-sided DIMMs (8 rows memory)"

I think you are thinking of the i440GX:
ftp://download.intel.com/design/chipsets/datashts/29063801.pdf
"Integrated DRAM controller
— 16 MB to 2 GB
— Supports up to 4 double-sided DIMMs (8 rows memory)"

Lepton: re: "512GB for the 815, who needs more?" - The i815 can address 512MB (not GB)

(Anyone know how to make FTP links clickable?)

- JW

Yep.

It seems the BX133 supports 768MB (3 DIMMS).

The BX6 supports 1GB (4 DIMMS).

So its 256MB per DIMM, so just find a BX mobo with 8 DIMMS, and you're sorted. :smile:

TRENDING THREADS