Wireless node with analogue modem interface

I am looking for an alternative to the Apple Airport, which has just died at
a friends house.

He isn¹t interested in BB so needs to access the internet via an analogue
telephone line, but wishes to still roam around the house using the wifi
card in his laptop.

Can anyone suggest a make of device which does this ? I can find many with
Ethernet interfaces but I'm struggling with an analogue interface.

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about wireless node analogue modem interface

    Graham in Melton <nota@nospamplease.net> wrote:
    > He isn't interested in BB so needs to access the internet via an analogue
    > telephone line, but wishes to still roam around the house using the wifi
    > card in his laptop.

    > Can anyone suggest a make of device which does this ? I can find many with
    > Ethernet interfaces but I'm struggling with an analogue interface.

    Some have an RS232 port, where you would connect an external modem:
    SMC 7004AWBR.
    http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?sec=Products&pg=Product-Details&prod=63&site=c

    There are other devices that are dialup to ethernet. You would attach a
    wireless router or WAP to that. I had one of these serving an office from
    a 56K dialup.
    http://www.multitech.com/PRODUCTS/Families/RouteFinder/

    < http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?tab=features&pathtype=purchase&sku=3C888-US >

    --
    ---

    On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 22:41:08 +0100, Graham in Melton
    <nota@nospamplease.net> wrote:

    >I am looking for an alternative to the Apple Airport, which has just died at
    >a friends house.

    Repair of the Airports are easy. They have the infamous defective
    low-ESR electrolytic cazapitor problem (as also found in numerous
    power supplies and motherboards made in Taiwan). It's quite easy to
    replace these cazapitors. See:
    http://www.seanadams.com/deadairport/
    for instructions. Be sure to thank Apple for standing behind their
    products full of known defective parts.

    >He isn¹t interested in BB so needs to access the internet via an analogue
    >telephone line, but wishes to still roam around the house using the wifi
    >card in his laptop.
    >
    >Can anyone suggest a make of device which does this ? I can find many with
    >Ethernet interfaces but I'm struggling with an analogue interface.

    3Com 3c886:

    http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?tab=support&pathtype=support&sku=3C886A-US

    3Com 3c888:

    http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?tab=features&pathtype=purchase&sku=3C888-US

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 01:28:31 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

    > Repair of the Airports are easy. They have the infamous defective
    > low-ESR electrolytic cazapitor problem (as also found in numerous
    > power supplies and motherboards made in Taiwan). It's quite easy to
    > replace these cazapitors. See:
    > http://www.seanadams.com/deadairport/
    > for instructions. Be sure to thank Apple for standing behind their
    > products full of known defective parts.

    Never heard of a cazapitor. I went to Sean's site and found out that they
    are really capacaitors, or capactors.

    Must be a hard word to type! <g>

    --
    Barry

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 14:04:08 -0400, Barry Jones <bjones01@acm.org>
    wrote:

    >Never heard of a cazapitor.

    It's from the "ca-zap" sound that you hear, when touching the
    terminals of a cazapitor, usually just before the lights go out.

    >I went to Sean's site and found out that they
    >are really capacaitors, or capactors.

    Better than a capacitator, condenser, or Leyden Jar.

    >Must be a hard word to type! <g>

    No problem. My speling chequer fixes such misteaks.

    # jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us

Wireless Modem Internet Wireless Networking