CatherineStevens

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2002
UGH. When I search for an AMD 760 chipset motherboard for my xp1900 Athlon all I can find is ones where the north bridge is 760 and the south is still the old Via chipset. The only one I've found that is truly a 760 chipset is for dual processors, which I don't want. WHY can't I find a true 760 chipset board?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I don't believe one was ever made. The reason for that? AMD basically created its own chipsets because when they introduced the new processors the other chipset manufacturers didn't really have anything ready. But once the other guys started producing stuff they sort of downplayed their own lines. I realize that most folks have the jitters when the name VIA is mentioned but I believe that the performance of the 686B southbridge was just that much better than the 766 so MB manufacturers just plain stuck with the 761/686B combo. Personally I wouldn't worry TOO much about it. But we all must walk our own road. If you really MUST stay away from VIA you'll have to opt for a multiprocessor flavor. Good luck with whatever you choose.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

svol

Champion
They choosed for the Via 686b Southbridge because it was cheaper.
I own an Abit KG7-RAID with the AMD 761 Northbridge and the Via 686b Southbridge, it is working perfect right now, but I had some problems with my soundcard (SB Live!) and sharing IRQ's but when I disabled the onboard COM-ports it worked perfect.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .