Graytalon

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2002
I am considering getting a board to upgrade my current system. The board I looked at has both SDRAM and DDR SDRAM, (ECS K7S5A) but I have a question concerning the Speed of the RAM and the use of APG 4X. Will the use of SDRAM allow the 4X to be used? I know the speed of that is only 133 and the DDR is 266 or better, but will it matter to the vid card?

Wanting to figure this out before I buy it,
Graytalon,
Lowly Geek

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey G,

Not a really silly question. Answer: No, the type of mobo/system Ram will not affect the Video cards performance much..........in Video Benchmarks like 3D Marks 2001. Keep in mind everything in your system works together as a whole, and your system is only as fast as the slowest component. All mobo either support 4X AGP or they don't, it doesn't matter what type of mainboard memory you use, DDR or SD-Ram. If I were you, I would keep using what ever you are using and wait until you have more money and get a pure DDR mobo and DDR memory. The ECS mobo is not the best choice for mobo's. My thing is why get something just because you can use your old ram? The ECS mobo has 2 SD-Ram slot & 2 DDR slots, you cannot use both DDR & SD-Ram at the same time...........how much SD-Ram do you currently have? What will you be saving if you use it? To me why not wait for better mobos and options to come out and get a mobo & DDR that are much faster than your current system, not just a little faster? Good Luck

Peace Out..............tile

WHAT????? I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE ROAR OF MY CASE FANS! YOU'LL HAVE TO SCREAM!

Graytalon

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2002
The only reason I asked was that I had been informed earlier about the 266MHz barrier for 4X. Didn't know if that included the RAM or not. I know that I can't run my current system in 4X mode even though the board says it will if I can bump up the speed.(at least in the lit)

Thanks,
Graytalon,
Lowly Geek

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey G,

I am sorry, I must not be understanding your question. If you have a older system, the mobo will not support AGP 4X. This has nothing to do with the type of Mainboard Ram and everything to do with the Mainboard Chipset. Some chipsets are 2X AGP, but are not-compatable with some AGP cards so they run at 1X..........I don't know if this is what you are asking? I don't know about a 266mhz barier for 4X. If nothing else this post will move your Question to the front page again where maybe someone much more knowledgable than myself will answer your question. Sorry, that I did not understand the nature of your question, and that I was not much help. Good Luck

Peace Out..............tile

WHAT????? I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE ROAR OF MY CASE FANS! YOU'LL HAVE TO SCREAM!