Hotmail suspended

My friends and I correspond mainly with Windows & MSN Messengers, our
hotmail accounts tend to be neglected (unused).
Consequently our Hotmail accounts become suspended after 30 days of none
use, I understand that if left suspended they would eventually be
terminated.
If/when terminated will this affect our use of the Messenger facilities?
Derek N

"Derek N" <anomynous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My friends and I correspond mainly with Windows & MSN Messengers, our
> hotmail accounts tend to be neglected (unused).
> Consequently our Hotmail accounts become suspended after 30 days of none
> use, I understand that if left suspended they would eventually be
> terminated.
> If/when terminated will this affect our use of the Messenger facilities?
> Derek N

Yes it will. If the hotmail account is no longer active you can no longer
sign into messenger.

You can use non-hotmail accounts with msn messenger if you have no wish for
the hotmail account at all. Just create an account uinder your normal email
address. No expiry problems then.

Victoria thank you for your reply, obviously Jonathan didn't want to reply
(I understand he is a willing volunteer).
From your reply I gather that the "Microsoft.MSN Passport" will not be
cancelled when a Hotmail account is cancelled. I cannot find this
information on any of the helplines.
Derek N

"Victoria Bolton" <morkai at dreamwolf dot net> wrote in message

> "Derek N" <anomynous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> My friends and I correspond mainly with Windows & MSN Messengers, our
>> hotmail accounts tend to be neglected (unused).
>> Consequently our Hotmail accounts become suspended after 30 days of none
>> use, I understand that if left suspended they would eventually be
>> terminated.
>> If/when terminated will this affect our use of the Messenger facilities?
>> Derek N
>
> Yes it will. If the hotmail account is no longer active you can no longer
> sign into messenger.
>
> You can use non-hotmail accounts with msn messenger if you have no wish
> for
> the hotmail account at all. Just create an account uinder your normal
> email
> address. No expiry problems then.

It's not something MS hides and they quite actively allow you to do it
throughout any setup so I can see no reason Jonathan would not reply apart
from being busy .

I'm not sure how you figured that the passport account won't be cancelled. I
have no idea as how that would work. I would suggest you create new passport
accounts with your normal email addresses. That's what we did when we
switched from hotmail accounts to our own email addresses. I just went in
and created a new passport account for every user.

I did this from the http://messenger.msn.com/download/ page

Click the 'register your own email address' button and you can make a
passport account from there using any email addy you like.

This then works with Windows messenger and Msn Messenger. We run XP and 2000
in our network so this was the easiest method for us.

Victoria

> Victoria thank you for your reply, obviously Jonathan didn't want to reply
> (I understand he is a willing volunteer).
> From your reply I gather that the "Microsoft.MSN Passport" will not be
> cancelled when a Hotmail account is cancelled. I cannot find this
> information on any of the helplines.
> Derek N

Hi,

Indeed, I had some other commitments yesterday offline :)

Your Passport won't be immediately cancelled when your Hotmail account expires (and
continuing to log into Messenger even after your Hotmail Inbox has been deleted -will- keep
the Passport active).

Microsoft really only deletes a Passport after it's been inactive (not-signed in) for a year
or so (I'm not exactly sure of the timeframe right now).
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

> It's not something MS hides and they quite actively allow you to do it
> throughout any setup so I can see no reason Jonathan would not reply apart
> from being busy .
>
> I'm not sure how you figured that the passport account won't be cancelled. I
> have no idea as how that would work. I would suggest you create new passport
> accounts with your normal email addresses. That's what we did when we
> switched from hotmail accounts to our own email addresses. I just went in
> and created a new passport account for every user.
>
> I did this from the http://messenger.msn.com/download/ page
>
> Click the 'register your own email address' button and you can make a
> passport account from there using any email addy you like.
>
> This then works with Windows messenger and Msn Messenger. We run XP and 2000
> in our network so this was the easiest method for us.
>
> Victoria
>
> "Derek N" <anomynous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Victoria thank you for your reply, obviously Jonathan didn't want to reply
>> (I understand he is a willing volunteer).
>> From your reply I gather that the "Microsoft.MSN Passport" will not be
>> cancelled when a Hotmail account is cancelled. I cannot find this
>> information on any of the helplines.
>> Derek N

Thank you Jonathan (I did say I understood that you were a willing
volunteer), that is the answer I was looking for. We use MSN and Windows
Messengers on a daily basis so we can allow the hotmail accounts to be
terminated.
Derek N

> Hi,
>
> Indeed, I had some other commitments yesterday offline :)
>
> Your Passport won't be immediately cancelled when your Hotmail account
> expires (and continuing to log into Messenger even after your Hotmail
> Inbox has been deleted -will- keep the Passport active).
>
> Microsoft really only deletes a Passport after it's been inactive
> (not-signed in) for a year or so (I'm not exactly sure of the timeframe
> right now).
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "Victoria Bolton" <morkai at dreamwolf dot net> wrote in message
>> It's not something MS hides and they quite actively allow you to do it
>> throughout any setup so I can see no reason Jonathan would not reply
>> apart
>> from being busy .
>>
>> I'm not sure how you figured that the passport account won't be
>> cancelled. I
>> have no idea as how that would work. I would suggest you create new
>> passport
>> accounts with your normal email addresses. That's what we did when we
>> switched from hotmail accounts to our own email addresses. I just went in
>> and created a new passport account for every user.
>>
>> I did this from the http://messenger.msn.com/download/ page
>>
>> Click the 'register your own email address' button and you can make a
>> passport account from there using any email addy you like.
>>
>> This then works with Windows messenger and Msn Messenger. We run XP and
>> 2000
>> in our network so this was the easiest method for us.
>>
>> Victoria
>>
>> "Derek N" <anomynous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Victoria thank you for your reply, obviously Jonathan didn't want to
>>> reply
>>> (I understand he is a willing volunteer).
>>> From your reply I gather that the "Microsoft.MSN Passport" will not be
>>> cancelled when a Hotmail account is cancelled. I cannot find this
>>> information on any of the helplines.
>>> Derek N

Hi Derek,

Yes I know, just wanted to clear it up (didn't want anyone to think I was missing in action).

Anyway, you should be fine :)
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

> Thank you Jonathan (I did say I understood that you were a willing volunteer), that is the
> answer I was looking for. We use MSN and Windows Messengers on a daily basis so we can
> allow the hotmail accounts to be terminated.
> Derek N
>
> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Indeed, I had some other commitments yesterday offline :)
>>
>> Your Passport won't be immediately cancelled when your Hotmail account expires (and
>> continuing to log into Messenger even after your Hotmail Inbox has been deleted -will-
>> keep the Passport active).
>>
>> Microsoft really only deletes a Passport after it's been inactive (not-signed in) for a
>> year or so (I'm not exactly sure of the timeframe right now).
>> Jonathan Kay
>> Associate Expert
>> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
>>
>> "Victoria Bolton" <morkai at dreamwolf dot net> wrote in message
>>> It's not something MS hides and they quite actively allow you to do it
>>> throughout any setup so I can see no reason Jonathan would not reply apart
>>> from being busy .
>>>
>>> I'm not sure how you figured that the passport account won't be cancelled. I
>>> have no idea as how that would work. I would suggest you create new passport
>>> accounts with your normal email addresses. That's what we did when we
>>> switched from hotmail accounts to our own email addresses. I just went in
>>> and created a new passport account for every user.
>>>
>>> I did this from the http://messenger.msn.com/download/ page
>>>
>>> Click the 'register your own email address' button and you can make a
>>> passport account from there using any email addy you like.
>>>
>>> This then works with Windows messenger and Msn Messenger. We run XP and 2000
>>> in our network so this was the easiest method for us.
>>>
>>> Victoria
>>>
>>> "Derek N" <anomynous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Jonathan,
I have been informed by Microsoft .NET Passport Customer Support
Representative, extract below
"However, the .NET Passport service associated with your account is still
active, and can only be closed if there is no .NET Passport activity in 90
days"

:
: Indeed, I had some other commitments yesterday offline :)
:
: Your Passport won't be immediately cancelled when your Hotmail account
expires (and
: continuing to log into Messenger even after your Hotmail Inbox has been
deleted -will- keep
: the Passport active).
:
: Microsoft really only deletes a Passport after it's been inactive
(not-signed in) for a year
: or so (I'm not exactly sure of the timeframe right now).
: ____________________________________________
: Jonathan Kay
: Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
: Associate Expert
: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
: Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
: All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2005 Jonathan Kay.
: You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
:
: "Victoria Bolton" <morkai at dreamwolf dot net> wrote in message
: news:OiwQBhqGFHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
: > It's not something MS hides and they quite actively allow you to do it
: > throughout any setup so I can see no reason Jonathan would not reply
apart
: > from being busy .
: >
[...]

Jonathan that post above was from me using my Son's computer, I forgot to
change the name on the computer.
Derek N

"Dave" <anomynous@anomynous.invalid> wrote in message
> [...]
> : >
> : > This then works with Windows messenger and Msn Messenger. We run XP
> and
> 2000
> : > in our network so this was the easiest method for us.
> : >
> : > Victoria
> : >
> : > "Derek N" <anomynous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> : > news:u0yPdIlGFHA.2752@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> : >> Victoria thank you for your reply, obviously Jonathan didn't want to
> reply
> : >> (I understand he is a willing volunteer).
> : >> From your reply I gather that the "Microsoft.MSN Passport" will not
> be
> : >> cancelled when a Hotmail account is cancelled. I cannot find this
> : >> information on any of the helplines.

Hi Derek,

No problem; I know they "say" 90 days (they been saying that for years), but in reality it's
much longer than that. Regardless ".NET Passport activity" includes logging into Messenger.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert