[SOLVED] What will happen to my Win7 OEM license when upgrading to Win8?

supermanu15

Distinguished
I just want to ask you guys, I have Windows 7 Professional x86 installed and I am planning on upgrading to Windows 8 Enterprise x86, what will happen to my Windows 7 OEM license when upgrading to Windows 8 Enterprise? Will it become invalid?

Solution
As I said above, given that I don't believe there is an actual upgrade license to move one to Windows 8 Enterprise from a previous version, your OEM license may remain intact.

As I also said though, I would wait for someone else to confirm that first. My interpretation may be completely wrong, or I may be missing information. My research on the presence of an actual Windows 8 Enterprise upgrade license has turned up nothing.

I hope your *friend* realizes that is completely illegal, and advertising such practices anywhere can get you in some serious trouble.

To answer the OP's question, I'm not 100% sure about this, but I don't believe there exists (or will exist at time of writing) an actual upgrade license for Windows 8 Enterprise, as this version is only available via Software Assurance customers, and MSDN and TechNet subscriptions. You will be able to perform upgrade installs from Windows 7 Professional to Windows 8 Enterprise, but I'm speaking strictly in terms of the license, not what you can actually do with the software. Therefore, I would assume that your Windows 7 license would remain valid.

I would wait for someone else to confirm though, since as I said I am not 100% sure about this.

I also have to ask, why haven't you gone 64 bit yet? I will be overjoyed the day Microsoft finally says they won't be doing another 32 bit version of a desktop oriented operating system.

supermanu15

Distinguished

oh it's just that the 32 bit Windows 7 i have is from my sister's laptop(dell inspiron 1525) :) that was when i only had the 32 bit version of Windows 7 and i had to replace its preinstalled vista due to its infamous reputation. My desktop is dual boot with WinXP Pro and Win7 Ultimate both having the 64 bit architecture as you mentioned. Since i had it in 32 bit i was planning to just upgrade it to keep my current applications and files to save me time of having to reformat it and start from scratch again.

That aside, does this mean i can still retain my OEM license?No side effects whatsoever? Thank you all for your quick responses. :D

As I said above, given that I don't believe there is an actual upgrade license to move one to Windows 8 Enterprise from a previous version, your OEM license may remain intact.

As I also said though, I would wait for someone else to confirm that first. My interpretation may be completely wrong, or I may be missing information. My research on the presence of an actual Windows 8 Enterprise upgrade license has turned up nothing.

Solution
True, but I am thinking about this from the angle that the old license would become invalid, as in you couldn't legally install it on the same machine after the upgrade was complete. I recall hearing somewhere that when you upgrade a license (OEM or Retail), the old license and serial becomes invalid and cannot legally be used on any machine because you have upgraded it to a newer version.

I could be just talking out of my a** on this one though, and I don't recall where exactly I think I heard this.

Edit: To clarify further, I am considering a scenario where supermanu upgrades to Windows 8, tries it for awhile, doesn't like it and wishes to revert back to Windows 7.

If you use an Upgrade win 8 key - then the licence is "consumed" in the process. - you cant legally use it on another machine as it forms part of the licence fro the Win 8 upgrade.

If you buy a full Win 8 key - you still cant legally use the Win 7 as its OEM.... so it tied to that hardware/machine.

Thats my understanding.
HTH
Cheers

4745454b

Titan
I would hope not Prophecy. If I upgrade to 8 and my old key isn't legal to use anymore, what happens if I don't like 8? I can't legally go back to my copy of 7? Or is it legal to use again if I stop using 8?

I was going to say retail 7 should still be ok to use, but your using it for the upgrade copy of 8.

The part about the OEM license not being usable on another machine is understood, and the point has been settled. The question we are still debating is whether or not the process of upgrading to Windows 8 Enterprise will invalidate the Windows 7 license, given that an *upgrade* license of Windows 8 Enterprise may not actually exist. Does upgrading via a *retail* license have the same effect? *Retail* licenses are what you get via MSDN and Technet (not sure about Software Assurance, as I have never dealt with it myself).

Like someone said - I dont know if there is an upgrade version of Win 8 Ent available - however, my understanding is that the rule is simple.
If you have an upgrade version... the qualifying licence you use to upgrade is "consumed" and so cannot be reused, thats holds true if it the qualifying licence is OEM or retail - it does not matter.

If you "upgrade" with a full retail licence - then the old licence is available to be reused, as long as it is retail - if its OEM... you cant reuse it.

Hope thats clear and answered your questions (I have not read the whole thread in detail)...
Ceers

supermanu15

Distinguished
It is possible to upgrade to Windows 8 Enterprise provided you have Windows 7 Pro or Enterprise, but what I am concerned about is the license. It may void my license if I upgrade to 8 :(

I guess I am stuck at 7 for the moment. Not a bad OS though, but just want to give 8 a try that is all. :)

Like I said many posts ago, obtain a copy of XP (Pro might be needed to upgrade to Ultimate?) and upgrade that to 8. ( bought one from Ebay, all sealed and unused). Alternatively, download the evaluation copy of 8 and try it for a few weeks before you commit...I did, and I love it... took a bit of getting used to, esp. lack of Start button...

Whats the point? his Win 7 is OEM - so its locked to the original PC, so he cant (offically/legally) reuse it anyway.

Cheers

mathew7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
Technically, the old license will not be invalidated. The only restictions are contracts+EULA. So in case BSA inspects your systems, they could sue you with copyright infringement.
PS: OEM means locked to 1 PC....so legaly you should not use it on another PC. Nobody stops you, but a "paper check" could reveal the breach of contract.

Wow Deja Vu... That what I said!!!

And being as we are on Toms .... we should not be advocating anything illegal.
And Just to clarify - someone may stop you - If you try and reuse the licence on new machine - when you try and activate, it may detect the new hardware and fail - requiring you to call MS and explain before they will allow/issue new code.

Cheers

supermanu15

Distinguished

i have tried it which is also the reason why i want to have it installed in our dell inspiron 1525. So if having OEM licenses mapped into a single hardware means something, does that mean that if I upgrade it to Windows 8 it will recognize it as something different which can invalidate my license?

I believe if you upgrade to Win 8 and, say for instance, you found it incompatible and wanted to revert to your old OS, I see no reason that your old OS wouldn't install and activate on the old COA.
You could not upgrade then use the old OS licence on another machine. I'm not sure about your upgrade installation if you uninstalled it then used it elsewhere, I presume that it only requires an activated OS to upgrade, so as long as it was being used 'one at a time' there would be no problem.
Usually you don't have to activate immediately, giving you time to assess whether or not the RTM version runs OK.
I also suspect that given the judicious addition of an extra partition on your HDD you may be able to install 8 alongside you old OS and dual boot, as I did with the Evaluation Copy, but it remains to be seen how the upgrade will be accomplished in reality...
The XP suggestion was more appropriate for a new build rather than upgrading an existing system with an OEM installation..