VX4500 memory

How much memory does the VX4500 have for things like downloaded (through
BitPim) graphics?

Is there a way to tell how much memory is remaining?
7 answers Last reply
More about vx4500 memory

    On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 10:36:16 -0400, Tony Karp
    <tkarp-@-tlc-systems.com> wrote:

    >How much memory does the VX4500 have for things like downloaded (through
    >BitPim) graphics?
    >
    >Is there a way to tell how much memory is remaining?

    Someone reported on one of the forums a while back that he had
    uploaded about 4mb of ringtones and wallpapers to his LG VX4500 before
    the memory filled up and would not accept addtional uploads.

    I believe the memory limit is for the combined space used by
    wallpapers and stored pics, ringtones, voice memos and the voice
    scheduler. I expect the phone's performance would probably begin to
    get pretty sluggish if you were to approach the limits of its working
    memory.

    LG VX4500 <4500@no.where> wrote:

    >Someone reported on one of the forums a while back that he had
    >uploaded about 4mb of ringtones and wallpapers to his LG VX4500 before
    >the memory filled up and would not accept addtional uploads.
    >
    >I believe the memory limit is for the combined space used by
    >wallpapers and stored pics, ringtones, voice memos and the voice
    >scheduler. I expect the phone's performance would probably begin to
    >get pretty sluggish if you were to approach the limits of its working
    >memory.

    Found it.

    Get it now> Settings> Manage Apps> OK

    You get a screen titled "System Info" with a breakdown of memory usage.

    Wonder why they hid it here instead of under "Phone Info"

    > I believe the memory limit is for the combined space used by
    > wallpapers and stored pics, ringtones, voice memos and the voice
    > scheduler.

    It is also used by the phonebook, calendar and SMS messages.

    > I expect the phone's performance would probably begin to
    > get pretty sluggish if you were to approach the limits of its working
    > memory.

    In my experience performance is fine. The moment memory
    fills up, the phone crashes and reboots. Some models have
    to be taken back to Verizon and replaced (yes really, read
    the Brew developer forums).

    I haven't found any way of finding out the free space
    via protocols. I can find out the total space. However
    if you sum up the size of all files in the EFS, they
    are larger than the total space figure.

    Roger

    I have a VX4400 and the following:
    Get-It_Now, OK, OK, Options, OK, Information, OK

    shows the following:
    Memory 4% Used
    67k/1.60 MB
    (492K RAM)

    "Roger Binns" <rogerb@rogerbinns.com> wrote in message
    > > I believe the memory limit is for the combined space used by
    > > wallpapers and stored pics, ringtones, voice memos and the voice
    > > scheduler.
    >
    > It is also used by the phonebook, calendar and SMS messages.
    >
    > > I expect the phone's performance would probably begin to
    > > get pretty sluggish if you were to approach the limits of its working
    > > memory.
    >
    > In my experience performance is fine. The moment memory
    > fills up, the phone crashes and reboots. Some models have
    > to be taken back to Verizon and replaced (yes really, read
    > the Brew developer forums).
    >
    > I haven't found any way of finding out the free space
    > via protocols. I can find out the total space. However
    > if you sum up the size of all files in the EFS, they
    > are larger than the total space figure.
    >
    > Roger

    ---
    This E-Mail Is Virus Free.

    ALS wrote:
    > I have a VX4400 and the following:
    > Get-It_Now, OK, OK, Options, OK, Information, OK
    >
    > shows the following:
    > Memory 4% Used
    > 67k/1.60 MB
    > (492K RAM)

    Yes, but the only information available via protocols is
    the total size of the memory. If you sum the size of the
    files via the protocols, they are greater than the memory
    size. Consequently there is no way via the protocols
    to directly get the free space, or to calculate it.

    Roger

    On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 02:07:07 -0700, "Roger Binns"
    <rogerb@rogerbinns.com> wrote:

    >ALS wrote:
    >> I have a VX4400 and the following:
    >> Get-It_Now, OK, OK, Options, OK, Information, OK
    >>
    >> shows the following:
    >> Memory 4% Used
    >> 67k/1.60 MB
    >> (492K RAM)
    >
    >Yes, but the only information available via protocols is
    >the total size of the memory. If you sum the size of the
    >files via the protocols, they are greater than the memory
    >size. Consequently there is no way via the protocols
    >to directly get the free space, or to calculate it.
    >
    >Roger

    Roger,

    I take it you have not been able to determine the total space
    available on the 4500 and that you do not believe it is 4mb, as
    reported by another poster on one of the forums (I believe Yahoo).
    Can you clarify this?

    Secondly, let me thank you and your colleagues publicly for giving us
    a great freeware program in BitPim. This really makes the 4500 a much
    better phone.

    4500

    > I take it you have not been able to determine the total space
    > available on the 4500 and that you do not believe it is 4mb,

    No. It is trivial to find the total space. In fact the command
    BitPim sends to see if the phone is in Brew mode is the one
    that asks how big the memory is.

    What I can't find is how much is free. If you just add up the
    size of all files on the filesystem, then that is larger
    than the size the phone says the memory is.

    Roger

Verizon Memory Graphics Internet Service Providers