VX4500 memory

Last response: in Network Providers
a b } Memory
April 7, 2004 2:36:16 PM

How much memory does the VX4500 have for things like downloaded (through
BitPim) graphics?

Is there a way to tell how much memory is remaining?

More about : vx4500 memory

Anonymous
a b } Memory
April 7, 2004 7:31:35 PM

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 10:36:16 -0400, Tony Karp
<tkarp-@-tlc-systems.com> wrote:

>How much memory does the VX4500 have for things like downloaded (through
>BitPim) graphics?
>
>Is there a way to tell how much memory is remaining?

Someone reported on one of the forums a while back that he had
uploaded about 4mb of ringtones and wallpapers to his LG VX4500 before
the memory filled up and would not accept addtional uploads.

I believe the memory limit is for the combined space used by
wallpapers and stored pics, ringtones, voice memos and the voice
scheduler. I expect the phone's performance would probably begin to
get pretty sluggish if you were to approach the limits of its working
memory.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
April 7, 2004 7:31:36 PM

LG VX4500 <4500@no.where> wrote:

>Someone reported on one of the forums a while back that he had
>uploaded about 4mb of ringtones and wallpapers to his LG VX4500 before
>the memory filled up and would not accept addtional uploads.
>
>I believe the memory limit is for the combined space used by
>wallpapers and stored pics, ringtones, voice memos and the voice
>scheduler. I expect the phone's performance would probably begin to
>get pretty sluggish if you were to approach the limits of its working
>memory.

Found it.

Get it now> Settings> Manage Apps> OK

You get a screen titled "System Info" with a breakdown of memory usage.

Wonder why they hid it here instead of under "Phone Info"
a b } Memory
April 7, 2004 7:31:36 PM

> I believe the memory limit is for the combined space used by
> wallpapers and stored pics, ringtones, voice memos and the voice
> scheduler.

It is also used by the phonebook, calendar and SMS messages.

> I expect the phone's performance would probably begin to
> get pretty sluggish if you were to approach the limits of its working
> memory.

In my experience performance is fine. The moment memory
fills up, the phone crashes and reboots. Some models have
to be taken back to Verizon and replaced (yes really, read
the Brew developer forums).

I haven't found any way of finding out the free space
via protocols. I can find out the total space. However
if you sum up the size of all files in the EFS, they
are larger than the total space figure.

Roger
Anonymous
a b } Memory
April 8, 2004 3:16:17 AM

I have a VX4400 and the following:
Get-It_Now, OK, OK, Options, OK, Information, OK

shows the following:
Memory 4% Used
67k/1.60 MB
(492K RAM)

"Roger Binns" <rogerb@rogerbinns.com> wrote in message
> > I believe the memory limit is for the combined space used by
> > wallpapers and stored pics, ringtones, voice memos and the voice
> > scheduler.
>
> It is also used by the phonebook, calendar and SMS messages.
>
> > I expect the phone's performance would probably begin to
> > get pretty sluggish if you were to approach the limits of its working
> > memory.
>
> In my experience performance is fine. The moment memory
> fills up, the phone crashes and reboots. Some models have
> to be taken back to Verizon and replaced (yes really, read
> the Brew developer forums).
>
> I haven't found any way of finding out the free space
> via protocols. I can find out the total space. However
> if you sum up the size of all files in the EFS, they
> are larger than the total space figure.
>
> Roger

---
This E-Mail Is Virus Free.
a b } Memory
April 8, 2004 6:07:07 AM

ALS wrote:
> I have a VX4400 and the following:
> Get-It_Now, OK, OK, Options, OK, Information, OK
>
> shows the following:
> Memory 4% Used
> 67k/1.60 MB
> (492K RAM)

Yes, but the only information available via protocols is
the total size of the memory. If you sum the size of the
files via the protocols, they are greater than the memory
size. Consequently there is no way via the protocols
to directly get the free space, or to calculate it.

Roger
April 8, 2004 8:13:14 PM

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 02:07:07 -0700, "Roger Binns"
<rogerb@rogerbinns.com> wrote:

>ALS wrote:
>> I have a VX4400 and the following:
>> Get-It_Now, OK, OK, Options, OK, Information, OK
>>
>> shows the following:
>> Memory 4% Used
>> 67k/1.60 MB
>> (492K RAM)
>
>Yes, but the only information available via protocols is
>the total size of the memory. If you sum the size of the
>files via the protocols, they are greater than the memory
>size. Consequently there is no way via the protocols
>to directly get the free space, or to calculate it.
>
>Roger

Roger,

I take it you have not been able to determine the total space
available on the 4500 and that you do not believe it is 4mb, as
reported by another poster on one of the forums (I believe Yahoo).
Can you clarify this?

Secondly, let me thank you and your colleagues publicly for giving us
a great freeware program in BitPim. This really makes the 4500 a much
better phone.

4500
Anonymous
a b } Memory
April 9, 2004 1:02:08 AM

> I take it you have not been able to determine the total space
> available on the 4500 and that you do not believe it is 4mb,

No. It is trivial to find the total space. In fact the command
BitPim sends to see if the phone is in Brew mode is the one
that asks how big the memory is.

What I can't find is how much is free. If you just add up the
size of all files on the filesystem, then that is larger
than the size the phone says the memory is.

Roger
!