phono_mas

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2002
I've been getting this error message for almost a month now every time I start windows. [Error Installing iKernel.exe] I get this message once windows has booted and I've got my desktop up. Once I click ok, everything runs fine. Can anyone tell me what iKernel is?!? Anyone know what I can do to get rid of this annoying message?? Thanks in advance!

CapNjacK

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2004
ikernal.exe is part of 'installshield' a third party install/deployment tool. You may have attempted to install something that never completed successfully or something has placed itself to install on start up and is failing. Check the run and run once reg keys and all of your start up folders.
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run , RunOnce

phono_mas

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2002
Hey CapNjacK, I'm kind of new to editing my registry. What exactly am I looking for in the Run/Run Once keys? Do I just delete anything that looks fishy??

CapNjacK

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2004
Run and Run Once are things that the OS will start on boot up but do not show up in any of the 'StartUp' folders. Most of the time it's full of all those little annoying programs that seem to think they need to be in memory at all times in order to open up fast. What I do is take a look at what is there if it appears to be something I would like to have in memory I leave it there, if not I delete it. If you are not sure what it does a good practice is to look it up in google or (especially if you're not online) simply do a file search for what is attempting to start up. Keep in mind that most anything that your OS needs it boots as a service so most of the time you can do little harm by editing this key. Of course you should always becareful anyhow. If you're unsure export the key before you delete it. The Run Once key is the same as Run except it will only run the item in it upon the next boot up not all boot ups. I really only check that key when I think I've been infected with some kind of spyware.