Move Win 7 64 from HDD to SSD

Cywren

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
I've gotten conflicting suggestions lately about weather or not I need to work on a "transfer" of the OS to SSD or if I should do a clean install of Windows.

I built this computer last week, it's functioning wonderfully, but I installed my Windows initially onto my HDD while waiting on my SSD to arrive (to update drivers and whatnot). Now I feel as though moving Windows to the 80g SSD is the smarter move :) However, I'm very unsure how to go about it as I've already downloaded drivers and gotten some programs on the HDD. I suppose it's not too terrible to have to re-install some of my programs (browser, games, etc...) but I am nervous about the switch in terms of losing my drivers and/or failing to install windows correctly onto the SSD.

Eventually I would like to run a few programs along with the OS off of the SSD but have all of my data files on the HDD. Help :hello:

Here is my set up:

ASUS M4A89GTD Pro USB3
AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.20 GHz
Intel 80G SSD (X25-M)
Samsung Spinpoint 1TB HDD
G.Skill 2X2G RAM
XFX Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XP) 1GB
750W PSU
Scythe SCMG-2100 CPU Cooler

mittortz

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
hey cywren,
i'm actually in almost the very same situation as you - I recently built a computer and am hearing the SSD boot drive lore; now I want to change up everything :/. My rig is nearly identical too (I opted for the 5850, that's the biggest difference). Anyway, figured I should let you know I just made a similar post
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/9449-63-moving-boot-drive
so we can work together on this.
This thread Installing W7 on new solid state drive addition? was pretty helpful, if you didn't see it.

Let me know how it goes for you if you make the jump!