Removing Windows Messenger 4.7

I have Windows Messenger 4.7 and MSN Messenger 6.2 on my computer. I never
use Windows Messenger and would like to know how to remove it from my
computer.

Thanks
Joshua

all u have to do is go to add/remove programs in control panel and there is a
button there for add/remove windows components u can remove it there

"WonderbreadUSA" wrote:

> I have Windows Messenger 4.7 and MSN Messenger 6.2 on my computer. I never
> use Windows Messenger and would like to know how to remove it from my
> computer.
>
> Thanks
> Joshua

I know, I've already done that, but for some reason the thing is still
running under processes in the windows task manager... This is what I was
trying to stop. Help would be greatly appreciated!
Joshua

"Battousai" wrote:

> all u have to do is go to add/remove programs in control panel and there is a
> button there for add/remove windows components u can remove it there
>
> "WonderbreadUSA" wrote:
>
> > I have Windows Messenger 4.7 and MSN Messenger 6.2 on my computer. I never
> > use Windows Messenger and would like to know how to remove it from my
> > computer.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Joshua

Greetings Joshua,

You can completely remove Windows Messenger (4.7) but if you do, you will be preventing
Remote Assistance, Whiteboard, and Application Sharing from working.

However, if you don't use this functionality that would be disabled by removing Messenger,
you can simply remove it by closing down Messenger if it's running (right click the messenger
icon in the notification area/system tray and click close). Then click the start button,
then click Run and type in (copy-paste if you like):
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Then click OK.
Messenger will then be uninstalled. For more detailed instructions and screenshots, go to,
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/problem.aspx?ID=7
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"WonderbreadUSA" <WonderbreadUSA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Windows Messenger 4.7 and MSN Messenger 6.2 on my computer. I never
> use Windows Messenger and would like to know how to remove it from my
> computer.
>
> Thanks
> Joshua

If you are using WinXP you can go to control pannel, on
the left hand window pane select add remove windows
components. Scroll to the bottom windows messenger
should be listed, uncheck the box and messenger will be
uninstalled. I believe uninstalling windows messenger
will disable remote assistance and remote desktop.

Hi,

No, this won't disable Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop; what you described will simply
remove the Windows Messenger shortcuts -- it doesn't actually remove anything.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert