Abit KR7A RAID

G

Hey guys, I am new to the message board, and this is actually my first post. Anyway....

I am thinking about building a new system pretty soon. I am very interested in the semi-new Abit KR7A Raid, coupled with an XP 1900+. I was just wondering if anyone has had, or knows of, any compatibilty issues or things I should look out for. Also, is this a pretty decent board? I like the chipset, and the idea of built-in RAID support is ver6y appealing. Oh yeah... any brand of RAM that would be recommended? This will be my first AMD system, so any hep you can offer would be appreciated.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
ABIT boards in general are some of the best. You pretty much can't go wrong. Also, the KT266A seems to be working fine. I've got a Soyo Dragon Plus and I'm very satisfied. I'm very PRO ABIT, I've also got a KT7-RAID. I give it the thumbs up.

AFA memory my preference is <A HREF="http://www.crucial.com" target="_new">Crucial</A>, also one of the best.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

svol

Champion
I am also PRO Abit, I have an KG7-RAID and I love the board. They are one of the best (or even the best) mobo makers nowadays.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

G

this is the precise combo that i've been thinking about, but then i read that one should avoid via cipset combo w/ xp...
this was said on 'cpu' by intel_inside i think...

det finns ingenting att göra här ute/det finns ingenting här för oss

FatBurger

Illustrious
Intel_inside also said that an AMD burned down his house, but we all know that's not true.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Hehe, while I don't like VIA from personal experience, I can tell you that Intel_inside is one of the least reliable sources on this community.

Old VIA-based boards sucked but with the KT266A, VIA is getting better, so, yeah, the KR7A is a good board.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

well, that doesn't mean that this is bs, does it? I hope it is, of course.
well, if intel_inside has something to back up this warning with, he is welcome.

det finns ingenting att göra här ute/det finns ingenting här för oss

G

yes, that is what i wanted to hear. thanks
btw, does anyone but me see how all this fighting is making it harder for newbies (like me) to get advice? for example, at "cpu" some cathereine stevens posted a question about p4/ddr and that thread got it's little part of the flames. she got some help, but it got mixed in with all the flames.

det finns ingenting att göra här ute/det finns ingenting här för oss<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by janem on 02/12/02 11:44 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Yes, I find it quite sad that people can't get along without fighting. Perhaps it just human nature? Too bad...

Well, I try to do my part to ensure a "clean" community.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
You have some VIA bashers here and some of them have nothing better to do then run around here yelling fire fire!!! VIA suck, anything none VIA is stable, sounds like a VIA bug. I don't think they consider that newbies will be concerned.

Oops forgot to dot an i

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jiffy on 02/12/02 06:38 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I don't think they consider that newbies will be concerned.
Isn't that the point? To make newbies realize the potential issues of a platform?

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Isn't that the point? To make newbies realize the potential issues of a platform?
Going around like you do saying the VIA sucks, does not help anyone.

Old VIA-based boards sucked but with the KT266A, VIA is getting better

How does this help newbies realize the potential issues? I and many other people have VIA boards and we swear we do not have any problems, some clam it is the user error. I've been building for three years and put together six or so VIA mobo and yet to have a VIA problem.
Do you have a solution to the perfect computer that will never crash, do you know of a perfect chip? Can you answer yes to this, if not, well you know. hehe

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Going around like you do saying the VIA sucks, does not help anyone.
Hmm, I've had more than my fair share of VIA bugs. However, I'm not your average user, I do every possible test on my system and I stress it to the max. every single day. VIA did have problems and denying it is a lie.

How does this help newbies realize the potential issues? I and many other people have VIA boards and we swear we do not have any problems, some clam it is the user error. I've been building for three years and put together six or so VIA mobo and yet to have a VIA problem.
A problem that can be reproduced on many boards is NOT user error. Any experienced user will tell you that VIA has problems, like our own Forum Gigolo, Crashman, hehe. The KT266A is a better board, but I've had enough phone calls. The thing is, sure, you can work around most of this glitches with VIA 4-in-1s or whatever, but not all my friends know that. Every few days, I meet someone at school who wants to get a new computer and it's up to me decide on the components and sometimes I do build it myself. hehe, I guess I'm the school "expert" on this stuff. Anyway, I'm start to feel like the tech support. I get dozens of calls about problems. It's too much! For example, my friend says he reinstalled Windows and now he's getting poor performance in his games. Why? He didn't install the 4-in-1! Ahh! Well, enough with the bashing, I really don't like seeming closed minded but what makes VIA so good when you can get 98% of it's performance on other chipsets that have more features and are less buggy?

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Hmm, I've had more than my fair share of VIA bugs. However, I'm not your average user, I do every possible test on my system and I stress it to the max. every single day. VIA did have problems and denying it is a lie.
So you stress your rig every single day, being a VIA board, does that means it false every single day. What test do you have that point to a VIA problem can you be more pacific. If there was a fix, then user error.

You did say<font color=red> The thing is, sure, you can work around most of this glitches with VIA 4-in-1s or whatever, but not all my friends know that.</font color=red> Again user error.

So after you help your friends build a computer and I'm sure you warn them not to get a board with VIA. So then these people don't call you any more about problems, if you said no I think you would be denying it. And how many of these boards are VIA? Hmm I'm surprised such a sucky chip would be on so many mobo. Now replace all these VIA mobo with another chip and that would solve all your repairs. Doubt it

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The KR7A-RAID can have issues if you run an ATA-133 hard drive. I spent the extra money for a new maxtor drive with ATA-133 support, and for a long time I had performance below ATA-100 levels until new drivers were released. Now there is a KR7A-133 and KR7A-133raid coming out which has a new south bridge from via supposedly fixing the ATA-133 issues. I would wait for this board if I were you. I'm an still extremely happy with my KR7A-RAID its a rock solid performer with 512 megs of Corsair PC2400 memory. I would have to recomend Corsair ram, it is supposedly the best ram in the world. I'm also sure there is a valid reason why it is the only ddr ram hardocp uses when they test a ddr board.
As far as abit as a mobo company my dad has a KT7-RAID and it gives me nothing but problems no matter what I do to it. I figured KT7a-RAID with KT133a chipset would be better so I purchased one for a friend, and it too gave me hell. So I started to steer clear of Abit, then my friend got the long awaited KG7-RAID and it ran rock solid for him so I took a chance with KR7A-RAID and got lucky. I still think you'd be better off with the newer flavour coming out soon. One thing though, if you get a KT266a board and want a raid controller go with high point HPT-370 or HPT-372, promise just doesn't do onboard raid controllers as well as High Point.
One other issue I had with my board that was comparable to the one Hardocp tested is that it doesn't want to do high FSB for some reason. I get to 145 MHz FSB and I start to get instability. hardocp had this same problem in their testing no matter what the multiplier was so it was not the CPU, there is a chance that newer revisions will be better overclockers, I have heard of some KR7A boards doing insane FSB speeds around 180MHz +

Trusting every aspect of our lives to a giant computer was the greatest thing we ever did -Homer