Pentium III and SiS 635

G

I'm planning on buying a 1.4Ghz Pentium III (512k cache is very enticing), as far as I've the SiS635 is the only chipset that supports DDR for Tualatin processors. Unfortunatly I have never heard of any of the companies that have products with this chipset, and therefore am uncertain about thier quality.

If anyone could has experience of knowledge about this chipset and/or any of the motherboards using it please help me out with some info.

10Mhz8086

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
I have a P4 2G running a SIS645 with DDR333 and it runs fine...

SIS has been around for a while, just VIA and Intel are much more popular. If you want to save cash get the SIS if you don't mind a few extra more $$$ get a VIA or Intel chipset

<i>"The FAA issued a wind sheer warning for my PC, I think I may have one to many fans in it..."</i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The PIII gets no performance gain from DDR, so I suggest an Intel chipset.

Why no gain? The pathway between the CPU and memory controller is SDR, making it DDR on the other side, it's still limmited to SDR rates.

Overclocking might see gains from DDR if the board supports split frequencies with the memory running slower. This would allow you to run your FSB at, say 172, with your memory bus at 133 and still not loose performance.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

Yeah I like the SiS645, but I'm a big fan of the Tualatin core. It's unfortunate that Intel is releasing Tualatin's as high as they could (due to the fact that it would challange the P4).

I was going to upgrade to a P4 until I saw the new Tualatins have 512k L2 cache.

Would be nice if THG would do a comparison of the 1.4Ghz Pentium III and 2Ghz Pentium 4, using the different chipsets available for each. Why a 2Ghz P4 and not a 2.2Ghz you ack; because that is the processor that is on par price wise with the 1.4 Tualatin.