1st build need suggestions plz

G

Alright here's the deal. I'll have about $600 to $700 do blow on a system within the next week or two. Idea's I have thus far:

Motherboard: Soyo Dragon Plus
CPU: AMD XP 1700+ will be OCing hopefully
Graphics card: ?????
Hard Drive: Have A 20 Gig/7200 rpm could use for time being
Rest: Not worried about now or have

Any suggestions on diff motherboard, graphics card, or any other componants would be fabulous. Motherboard must have 4 IDE channels, good OCing (BIOS or Jumpers and BIOS), LAN optional, sound optional. Will be using the system for multiple purposes (i.e. gaming, video editing, video capture (ATI TV Wonder VE), etc.).TIA.

Where the hell is the power botton on this damned thing!!!

I just ordered the epox 4SDA+ with p4 1.6a cpu. It should overclock well. My last board was the shuttle ak31a, and it ran fine for 4 months. The new ak35gtr ($115 newegg) should overclock even better. I also recommend the gainward video cards. The ti 500 golden sample default settings of 261/472 are about the highest you will find.

G

I'm sorry. Should have mentioned right off the bat, it's going to be AMD all the way. But, thanks about the gainwood i'll check it out. Also one more question, I've seen things in the forums about trace tape. Now is it possible to just tape down small strands of low resistant wire connecting the L1 bridges instead of spending $25 on basically the same thing? If I'm just being cheap and stupid, plz let me know. Again TIA.

ANGEL14

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
if money is not a prob than go for GEFORCE4 ..... but if u dont wanna go that high end i think the ideal card would be a GEFORCE2 GTS.i think this one is ideal for every use.. and for the mobo there is a quite a large range so it depends how much mullas u got... and yes AMD is the way to go ;) i just built my sys with ECS-K7AMA XP-1600 and is completely KICK ASS ! ;) if u get a GF2-GTS ur sys would be an ideal... unfortunately i got GF2 MX still its gives me 100% performance. Just be sure of one thing whenever plan to buy new product think how long are u gonna hold on to it so dont just rush and get expensive thing coz i dont think anyone holds on to their system for more than 2 years. so think and decide.
enjoy

THE MAIN REASON FOR GLOBAL WARMING- MY KICK ASS ATHALON XP ;)

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
well I can recommend AGAINST getting the Soltek 75-DRV2. I bought one for my AthlonXP 1900+ and the board shows quite a few incompatibilty issues, I think the board requires a circuitry update to properly use the AthlonXP. THG didn't seem to say this in their review, but the Soltek website has now confirmed this.

G

umm....bump....i guess

cellbiogeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you're not looking to spend a lot for video, I just got the Gainward Ti200 Golden sample and it's great (though I should say that I upgraded from a Voodoo 4 so anything would have been great; no insult to 3Dfx intended). If you want to overclock, you should check out the XP333 which is a very stable and very overclockable board.