I had messenger turned off, how does it keep starting back..

I'm running XP Pro SP2. I had messenger disabled to not start. Now its
back. How do I get rid of it? I don't want to tell Bill every time I log
in. Its none of their business that I'm using my Personal Computer.
9 answers Last reply
More about messenger turned starting back

    open messenger under tools/options/general.. uncheck run messenger when i log
    into windows...or start/run/ type in msconfig/go to startup panel find msmsgs
    or
    msnmsgr uncheck box/requires restart of computer to take affect
    "Kurt M. Sanger" wrote:

    > I'm running XP Pro SP2. I had messenger disabled to not start. Now its
    > back. How do I get rid of it? I don't want to tell Bill every time I log
    > in. Its none of their business that I'm using my Personal Computer.

    Hi,

    MSConfig does not affect Messenger, it is not necessary to do that.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "kenlori" <kenlori@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > open messenger under tools/options/general.. uncheck run messenger when i log
    > into windows...or start/run/ type in msconfig/go to startup panel find msmsgs
    > or
    > msnmsgr uncheck box/requires restart of computer to take affect
    > "Kurt M. Sanger" wrote:
    >
    >> I'm running XP Pro SP2. I had messenger disabled to not start. Now its
    >> back. How do I get rid of it? I don't want to tell Bill every time I log
    >> in. Its none of their business that I'm using my Personal Computer.

    Bill won't know that you are on-line unless you have him on your contact
    list, a likelihood that I would fail to believe!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "Kurt M. Sanger" <KurtMSanger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm running XP Pro SP2. I had messenger disabled to not start. Now its
    > back. How do I get rid of it? I don't want to tell Bill every time I log
    > in. Its none of their business that I'm using my Personal Computer.

    So you say no one's listening? If Messenger is accessing the network when I
    boot up, then someone could be watching. I agree its highly improbable, but
    still what if I could figure out how to listen for someone I'm interested in?
    Messenger is going out to somewhere, or my firewall wouldn't detect it. I
    just have a problem with the computer notifying the world that I've just
    logged in, don't you?

    "Richard Urban" wrote:

    > Bill won't know that you are on-line unless you have him on your contact
    > list, a likelihood that I would fail to believe!
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    > "Kurt M. Sanger" <KurtMSanger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm running XP Pro SP2. I had messenger disabled to not start. Now its
    > > back. How do I get rid of it? I don't want to tell Bill every time I log
    > > in. Its none of their business that I'm using my Personal Computer.

    NOT AT ALL.

    The only people who would know that I am on-line are those whom I have in my
    contact list, and I can even block those!

    You just want to spout off, and you did.

    --

    > So you say no one's listening? If Messenger is accessing the network when
    > boot up, then someone could be watching. I agree its highly improbable,
    > but
    > still what if I could figure out how to listen for someone I'm interested
    > in?
    > Messenger is going out to somewhere, or my firewall wouldn't detect it. I
    > just have a problem with the computer notifying the world that I've just
    > logged in, don't you?
    >
    > "Richard Urban" wrote:
    >
    >> Bill won't know that you are on-line unless you have him on your contact
    >> list, a likelihood that I would fail to believe!
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Richard Urban
    >>
    >> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    >> "Kurt M. Sanger" <KurtMSanger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > I'm running XP Pro SP2. I had messenger disabled to not start. Now
    >> > its
    >> > back. How do I get rid of it? I don't want to tell Bill every time I
    >> > log
    >> > in. Its none of their business that I'm using my Personal Computer.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    So how do you think people on your contact list know you're online? ESP?

    Its more likely that when you boot up, MS Messenger sends a server a
    message, the server looks up your buddy list, and if your buddies are on they
    get a notice that you are too. Someone runs the server don't they? I don't
    run this server, nor do I know who does, or what information it's programed
    to track, or what's in the message that's sent when I boot. Hmmm, care to
    bet that MS isn't listening? I wonder if there is any information in my
    system that they might want to know. Or if there is any value in tracking
    how often or what times I login. Anyway, booting up an OS, or loging into my
    own PC, shouldn't send information out, period.

    "Richard Urban" wrote:

    > NOT AT ALL.
    >
    > The only people who would know that I am on-line are those whom I have in my
    > contact list, and I can even block those!
    >
    > You just want to spout off, and you did.
    >

    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    > "Kurt M. Sanger" <KurtMSanger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > So you say no one's listening? If Messenger is accessing the network when
    > > boot up, then someone could be watching. I agree its highly improbable,
    > > but
    > > still what if I could figure out how to listen for someone I'm interested
    > > in?
    > > Messenger is going out to somewhere, or my firewall wouldn't detect it. I
    > > just have a problem with the computer notifying the world that I've just
    > > logged in, don't you?
    > >
    > > "Richard Urban" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Bill won't know that you are on-line unless you have him on your contact
    > >> list, a likelihood that I would fail to believe!
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Regards,
    > >>
    > >> Richard Urban
    > >>
    > >> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    > >>
    > >> If you knew as much as you think you know,
    > >> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
    > >>

    > >> "Kurt M. Sanger" <KurtMSanger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    From you:
    I just have a problem with the computer notifying the world that I've just
    logged in, don't you?

    From me: NOT AT ALL. The only people who would know that I am on-line are
    those whom I have in my contact list, and I can even block those!

    Now you say: So how do you think people on your contact list know you're
    online? ESP?

    Are you really that thick? The whole gist of this thread is that Messenger
    DOES go out on the internet and that people in your contact list WILL be
    notified of your presence! If people are not on your list, they will never
    know you are on-line. Even the people who are on your list can be
    temporarily blocked.

    And just how in the hell do you determine that the whole world is being
    notified through Messenger when you are on-line. Learn of what you speak
    before you attempt to act knowledgeable.

    As for Bill knowing you are on-line (you did say this in your initial post),
    you would need his permission for you to have him in your contact list for
    him to know you are on line. Now THAT thought is just plain laughable, you
    having Bill in your contact list. You really think that you are so important
    that he even cares about you? And why would he give YOU permission to
    contact him directly?

    Grow up.

    --

    > So how do you think people on your contact list know you're online? ESP?
    >
    > Its more likely that when you boot up, MS Messenger sends a server a
    > message, the server looks up your buddy list, and if your buddies are on
    > they
    > get a notice that you are too. Someone runs the server don't they? I
    > don't
    > run this server, nor do I know who does, or what information it's
    > programed
    > to track, or what's in the message that's sent when I boot. Hmmm, care to
    > bet that MS isn't listening? I wonder if there is any information in my
    > system that they might want to know. Or if there is any value in tracking
    > how often or what times I login. Anyway, booting up an OS, or loging into
    > my
    > own PC, shouldn't send information out, period.
    >
    > "Richard Urban" wrote:
    >
    >> NOT AT ALL.
    >>
    >> The only people who would know that I am on-line are those whom I have in
    >> my
    >> contact list, and I can even block those!
    >>
    >> You just want to spout off, and you did.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Richard Urban
    >>
    >> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    >> "Kurt M. Sanger" <KurtMSanger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > So you say no one's listening? If Messenger is accessing the network
    >> > when
    >> > boot up, then someone could be watching. I agree its highly
    >> > improbable,
    >> > but
    >> > still what if I could figure out how to listen for someone I'm
    >> > interested
    >> > in?
    >> > Messenger is going out to somewhere, or my firewall wouldn't detect it.
    >> > just have a problem with the computer notifying the world that I've
    >> > just
    >> > logged in, don't you?

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    ok i have worked and still work on computers daily and maintain many
    computers. and when you turn off msmessenger it will return a few weeks
    later only under taskmanger and either bill is watching or THERE HACKED
    i dont know why it would return then i end task and it will return
    shortly so i deleted it it is not a required file for windows to
    operate and i would use another messsanger program to chat on the
    internet..

    --
    Valorous
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Kurt M. Sanger wrote:

    > Anyway, booting up an OS, or loging into my
    > own PC, shouldn't send information out, period.

    I agree 100%, however the behavior you describe (messenger starting
    "hidden" at login) is due to a conflict with something else.

    If you have Norton AntiVirus or Norton Internet Security installed with
    default settings, that will do it. You'd need to go into the AntiVirus
    options and disable Norton's protection for MSN/Windows Messenger.

    --
    Segovia - 25/05/2005 8:03:50 PM

Messenger Microsoft Windows XP