wireless ad hoc keeps dropping

wireless setup problems
-----------------------

I'm trying (unsucessfully) to wirelessly network the following kit.

1) Home build pc (athlon 1.4ghz) windows xp connected to ntl broadband
(connection is firewallwed
using zonealarm pro)

2) wireless usb adapter on main pc (
microsoft mn710)

3) laptop (toshiba satellite m30) with built in intel 802.11g

I've configured internet connection sharing on the main pc and configured
the firewall for ics.

Basically im doing an ad hoc network using ICS. This should work fine
over 802.11g - its
working well over bluetooth. However when i connect using 802.11g (using
WEP encryption)
connection is established and i can even surf for 1 or two pages. However
connection is rapidly dropped -
it usually lasts about 1 minute (maybe less) - longest i would guess was
less than 3 mins. It will
reconnect again only to drop again... really infuriating

I have ensured that 802.1x auth is disabled and I've run out of things to
try...

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 08:31:34 GMT, dkh <a@b.com> wrote:

>Basically im doing an ad hoc network using ICS. This should work fine
>over 802.11g - its
>working well over bluetooth. However when i connect using 802.11g (using
>WEP encryption)
>connection is established and i can even surf for 1 or two pages.

There is some question as to whether ad-hoc (peer-to-peer) is
supported by all 802.11g devices. There was a thread on the topic
last week. See:

http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&th=353b67113f791215&rnum=1
(11 messages)

Also see:

http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1482&question=802%2E11g+ad+hoc

There's a chance that your Bluetooth adapter is interfering with your
802.11g radio. Try it with Bluetooth disabled.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

dkh <a@b.com> wrote in

> wireless setup problems
> -----------------------
>
> I'm trying (unsucessfully) to wirelessly network the following kit.
>
> 1) Home build pc (athlon 1.4ghz) windows xp connected to ntl broadband
> (connection is firewallwed
> using zonealarm pro)
>
> 2) wireless usb adapter on main pc (
> microsoft mn710)
>
> 3) laptop (toshiba satellite m30) with built in intel 802.11g
>
> I've configured internet connection sharing on the main pc and
> configured the firewall for ics.
>
> Basically im doing an ad hoc network using ICS. This should work fine
> over 802.11g - its
> working well over bluetooth. However when i connect using 802.11g
> (using WEP encryption)
> connection is established and i can even surf for 1 or two pages.
> However connection is rapidly dropped -
> it usually lasts about 1 minute (maybe less) - longest i would guess
> was less than 3 mins. It will
> reconnect again only to drop again... really infuriating
>
> I have ensured that 802.1x auth is disabled and I've run out of things
> to try...
>
> Any suggestions would be most welcome.

forgot to say - laptop is running norton internet security firewall

Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in

> There is some question as to whether ad-hoc (peer-to-peer) is
> supported by all 802.11g devices. There was a thread on the topic
> last week. See:
>
> http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&th=353b67113f791215&rnu
> m=1 (11 messages)
>
> Also see:
>
> http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1482&question=802%2E11g+a
> d+hoc
>
> There's a chance that your Bluetooth adapter is interfering with your
> 802.11g radio. Try it with Bluetooth disabled.

many thanks jeff for the links, the google thread you refer to questions
whether its possible to network 3 computers on an ad hoc net...
im just trying for two and failing to get it to work :-(

i did try it with bluetooth off as i did suspect that could be an issue
--- but it made no difference.

interestingly enough the bluetooth access is unaffected by the 802.11g
adapters

as to connection speed I'd nearly settle for 11b if it would stay
connected

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 10:35:12 GMT, dkh <a@b.com> wrote:

>Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in

>> http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&th=353b67113f791215&rnu
>> m=1 (11 messages)

>many thanks jeff for the links, the google thread you refer to questions
>whether its possible to network 3 computers on an ad hoc net...

The thread drifts into a discussion over whether ad-hoc is supported
or can be supported at 802.11g speeds. There's apparently no reason
it should not be supported, but some manufacturers prefer not to do
so. That usually implies that something broke during testing and
nobody had time to fix it. However, the DWL-2100 is a wireless bridge
and not an ad-hoc pair of client radios. It should certainly support
802.11g speeds in bridge mode. Sorry I brought it up in the first
place. (just ignore me when I screwup).

>as to connection speed I'd nearly settle for 11b if it would stay
>connected

Have you tried limiting the speed to something that's certain to stay
connected such as 5.5Mbits/sec or slower? Assuming nothing else has
changed other than the radios, and all the settings are similar, I'm
at a loss to guess what else could be happening except a broken radio,
or defective external antenna connection (low RF signal).

Are the old radios still available? Try replacing *ONE* radio with
one of the older DWL-2000 radios. Then swap the DWL-2100 radios one
at a time to see if either *ONE* is defective. Troubleshooting by
substitution works nicely.

> On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 10:35:12 GMT, dkh <a@b.com> wrote:
>
>>Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in
>
>>> http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&th=353b67113f791215
&rnu
>>> m=1 (11 messages)
>
>>many thanks jeff for the links, the google thread you refer to
questions
>>whether its possible to network 3 computers on an ad hoc net...
>
> The thread drifts into a discussion over whether ad-hoc is supported
> or can be supported at 802.11g speeds. There's apparently no reason
> it should not be supported, but some manufacturers prefer not to do
> so. That usually implies that something broke during testing and
> nobody had time to fix it. However, the DWL-2100 is a wireless bridge
> and not an ad-hoc pair of client radios. It should certainly support
> 802.11g speeds in bridge mode. Sorry I brought it up in the first
> place. (just ignore me when I screwup).
>
>>as to connection speed I'd nearly settle for 11b if it would stay
>>connected
>
> Have you tried limiting the speed to something that's certain to stay
> connected such as 5.5Mbits/sec or slower? Assuming nothing else has
> changed other than the radios, and all the settings are similar, I'm
> at a loss to guess what else could be happening except a broken radio,
> or defective external antenna connection (low RF signal).
>
> Are the old radios still available? Try replacing *ONE* radio with
> one of the older DWL-2000 radios. Then swap the DWL-2100 radios one
> at a time to see if either *ONE* is defective. Troubleshooting by
> substitution works nicely.

Jeff,
many thanks for you advise - unfortunately I dont have the luxury of
troubleshooting by substitution - I dont have any spare kit to swap in :-
(

The wireless in the laptop is built-in and I only have one microsoft
mn710 wireless adapter.

I did not think i saw an option to limit speed - but I'll look into it
looks like im gonna have to reinstall zonealarm pro too

cost its DB seems corrupted since my pc crashed... and now it wont
remember settings.

--

dkh His Dancing Leg