Building a new PC want to transfer Windows

touwe

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
How should I go about doing that? I have this Dell that came preloaded with vista, and I then upgraded to have windows 7 on it. I am about to build a new PC and would like to skip the process of rebuying Windows 7 is it possible to move Windows over to my new machine and take it off the old one? I thought I read somewhere on here that Windows is tied to your mobo and that you have to call them and have it reset before you can do that but honestly I have no idea. Every computer i have ever had has always had the os preinstalled and though I know how to install an os and reformat I have never had to install from scratch.

touwe

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
Am I going to be able to move the OS to a new machine or am I going to have to spend another $300 rebuying it? I would really like to be able to transfer it to the new one and then put something linux on here for free instead

touwe

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
I was reading that earlier and it just confused me even more. So even with the vista disk and the product key for it I can't put vista on a new machine because it was installed specifically for that Dell?

The win7 upgrade was also done as a download for the $30 student deal when it first came out if that makes any difference.