AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Ok, I have a 1.2GHz Athlon overclocked to 1.33GHz. Can I get another 1.2 or 1.33GHz Athlon and an Asus A7M266-D? I don't have many apps that use two processors, but it would be fun for me modify my "home-made" programs to use separate threads and optimize for complete SMP support. Any ideas about support? I've seen lots of dual Athlon (not MP) systems.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
doesn't seem feasible unless your a computer programmer and you have the source code for the programs you want to make smp compatible.
And I'm also pretty sure you can't have a 1.2 overclocked to 1.33 and then a 1.33 chip. I'm almost 100% sure you need identical CPUs. I also heard another rumor that Tbird won't work in the new amd dual boards, but that the morgan duron, athlon xps, and athlon mps will work.

Trusting every aspect of our lives to a giant computer was the greatest thing we ever did -Homer

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
doesn't seem feasible unless your a computer programmer and you have the source code for the programs you want to make smp compatible.
I am, hehe.

And I'm also pretty sure you can't have a 1.2 overclocked to 1.33 and then a 1.33 chip. I'm almost 100% sure you need identical CPUs. I also heard another rumor that Tbird won't work in the new amd dual boards, but that the morgan duron, athlon xps, and athlon mps will work.
Ouch, are you 100% sure my T-Bird won't work? Ahh, can I get a second opinion on that from someone?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

ObiWan_Kenobi

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2001
yeah a Tbird wont work

The only chips that will are morgan durons(why waste the time) XPs and MPs

The Tbird has no MP capabilities

Putting the LAUGH back in SLAUGHTER.

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
I'm trying to get an answer to a question like this, too. I would rather run two XP2000+ rather than two MP1900+ if the only dif between a MP and an XP is a letter, nothing more. I know the tbird won't work on a MP/MPX board but that's only cause AMD doesn't want you to have that option. Athlons have been SMP enabled from their first debut and there was talk about AMD making mainstream chipsets then. They didn't :-(.

Intel is god, cleanroom is life, and the wafers are all that matter.