lil help with ageing p4

John_Denver

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2002
will i got a p4 running at 1.1 or so socket 423. its on a crapy 845 mobo which uses the 133 sdram. what i want to do is take my p4 and put it on a mobo that uses the rdram. so guess iam looking for some advice on which mobo to buy. like i said the cpu is the 423 pin. or should i just give up on it and scrap the cpu and mobo for a amd running ddr? looking for the cheapest way heh.

FatBurger

Illustrious
The best scenario would be to get a 478 CPU and mobo w/ RDRAM. You could also move AMD, not a bad option either.

For what it's worth, I'm ordering an Abit TH7II-RAID, P4 1.6A and some RDRAM when my tax return gets here.

BTW, there was no P4 1.1, they started at 1.3.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by FatBurger on 02/13/02 03:05 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Like I said, they started at 1.3 :tongue:
You're right, I forgot about it because they don't make it anymore.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yes, and see I left the line at the bottom so people wouldn't be confused this time around. I learn from my mistakes. Well, sometimes :wink:

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

John_Denver

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2002
yeah my bad 1.4 heh. i found a 850 that takes a 423 and has the faster mem mobo on pricewatch for about 100$ and about 70$ for 256 mem.

FatBurger

Illustrious
The problem with going with a socket 423 mobo, is you'll never be able to upgrade the CPU (unless you want a higher 423, which is kind of pointless now that Northwood is out).