4 x DIMM slots (DDR)

Optional:

Onboard anything else

Not an option:

Via chipset

:cool: <b><font color=blue>The Cisco Kid</font color=blue></b> :cool:

FatBurger

Illustrious
Why do you need 4 DIMMs? Is that an absolute requirement?

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

10Mhz8086

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
The KR7A-Raid has 4 mem slots

<i>"The FAA issued a wind sheer warning for my PC, I think I may have one to many fans in it..."</i>

FatBurger

Illustrious
And it also has a Via chipset (KT266a).

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

<b>w00t!</b>

Sorry guys. Its been a while since I even looked at the price of a 512MB DIMM. I didn't realise they were pretty much the price of 2 256MB DIMMS. I thought they were double plus quite a bit.

The plan was to have W2K and 4 x 256MB sticks. Now it can be 2 or 3 512MB sticks.

Sorry again. All revised suggestions welcome. Would really like a mobo with 4 IDE sockets for the use of the RAID and the ease of CD drive configs.

I've had a look at a mobo and want your comments.

Abit KG7-RAID - AMD761/Via686B - issues?

I know I said not Via, but this is the Southbridge chip and I believe its ok. Comments?

I've not disregarded any suggestion, only added my own.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
The AMD761 is basically the most stable northbridge you can get and the 686B is the buggiest southbridge you can get.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

svol

Champion
I agree with AMD_man, the Northbridge rocks buth the Southbridge sucks. I have the KG7-RAID myself and I had a lot of problem with my soundcard and other PCI-devices in combination with the onboard RAID, luckely I was able to fix it and it runs rock stable now with all components.
There is a whole FAQ about the 686b with Soundcard issues, check this link: <A HREF="http://www.viahardware.com/686bfaq.shtm" target="_new">http://www.viahardware.com/686bfaq.shtm</A>.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

Well it looks like It'll be a GA-7DXR+, simply because of the onboard sound (which shouldn't bother the Southbridge issues), ATA133 RAID.

Quick question. <A HREF="http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/products/7dxr+.htm" target="_new">Here's</A> the link. I see it states no support for CD-ROM devices on the RAID ports. Thats fine, but I also notice it says ATA 66/100 for the other IDE ports. I'm assuming CD drives are compatible on these other ports?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yes, you can use a CD-ROM on any of the IDE ports.

svol

Champion
Yes you can use ATA33 CDROMs on the normal IDE ports, I even use a PIO4 CDRW on my normal IDE ports, runs perfect.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .