PCI Devices Undetected?

G

I am having a problem having my peripheral cards detected. I have reinstalled win 2K about 5 times. It's a brand new Atlon XP 1800 on an Epox 8KHA+. After I install win 2k none of my peripherals are in device manager. It is driving me crazy. I have 2 Nic Cards, a Firewire board, and a Soundblaster Live. I have also tried this on a Shuttle AK31 motherboard with the same results, so it must be somehting with the chipset. Any ideas? Anyone encounter this sort of thing too? Thanks.

G

Yes everything is there. The computer boots and runs fine, just no sound, nic, or firewire board. Could it be a Power Supply thing? Not enough power for my devices?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Try loading the Via 4-in-1 drivers. If the devices stil fail to detect at this point go into Device manager in Safe Mode and remove the ViaTech devices from System Resources and let Windows reload them on next reboot or reload them manually after reboot.

Update:

Just noticed you are using Win2K so I don't know if the above will work. Works for Win9X/ME. However, the problem is the same, Win 9X, ME, 2K don't know about the Via KT266A chipset and can get confused. Also, occasionally Windows likes to hang onto old VIA drivers and the only way to install updated ones is to manually delete the old ones using Device Manager.

Update #2:

Did you load the service Packs, SP1 and SP2, for Win 2K? Do this before anything else I said. I'm not a Win2K user so I don't know if you can just load SP2 or if you have to load SP1 1st.
<b>We are all beta testers!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 02/14/02 03:33 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

ANGEL14

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
i also had the same problem BEFORE..... this is what you must be doin i think....
1- fixing all the pci cards on the mobo and complete hardware setup and THAN u must have installed the WIN2K right???
if so than try this...
1- remove all the pci cards
2- format windows and install a FRESH COPY of win2k.
THIS IS IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE THAT U HAVENT INSTALLED "ANY" PCI on ur mobo while installing new copy on win2k.
3- AFTER u have installed ur WIN2K... reboot ur system(no pci onboard yet)
4-after its rebooted once.
5-NOW install all the pci cards ONE-BY-ONE(each card after one reboot) let it detect it itself and than keep on loading the drivers during the detection of respective pci device.
hope it works.

P.S: make sure u install all ur mainboard drivers before u install any PCI devices

THE MAIN CAUSE FOR GLOBAL WARMING- MY KICK ASS ATHLON XP ;)
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ANGEL14 on 02/14/02 04:21 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Yup -ANGEL's method is always the better way to go when building a new system. One at a time rather than all at once.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

svol

Champion
If installing the Via 4in1 drivers doesn't help then go into your BIOS and see if 'Plug & Play OS and set it to the opposite.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .