a new motherboard not working with exisiting Winxp

G

After numerous crashes, caused by running Geforce MX with WinXP, my MSI K7T Pro (Via Kt133) finally died (can't boot ) yesterday. I went to the local Fry's and bought a ECS k7S5A motherboard because I want to continue using my SDRAM. I installed the motherboard without much problems (except power led don't work because I have a 3-pin power LED plug but the mother only has 2-pin for power LED). However, I can't get it to work with my exisiting dual-boot (Win98 on the hard drive which connects to the secondary IDE channel and Winxp on the hard drive which connects to the primary IDE channel) system. The Windows OS selection loaded properly. If I selected WinXP, the OS starting process would stop and post a blue screen which said the windows system can't start because it can't configure the new hard drive or hard drive controller. I know this problem is cause by the difference between the motherboard chipsets (ECS K7S5A uses SiS 735 and MSI K7T Pro uses Via KT133). How can I get around this problem and boot into Winxp? According to the ECS motherboard manual, I should install VIA serice pack (Via 4-in-1) 2.48v once boot into windows. Doesn't this suggest that VIA's driver is compatible with Sis 735? If there is no compability problem, then why doesn't Winxp boot properly?
BTW, I can boot into Win98SE.

Please help.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
The only thing I can possibly think of would be to try a repair install. Personally I would do a fresh install.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>