Flaky Shuttle AK31 rev3.1

G

Hi,
This is a FYI for all you recent AK31 rev 3.1 owners who have just bought their mobo and are starting to build out their systems.

This mobo works great with retail XP chips but if you are using a oem XP especially oem xp188+ or higher, you are likely to see problems where when you switch the machine on, it will sit there like a dead duck. No beep codes, NOTHING. DO not run around changing your PSUs or memory etc. The problem is that the AK31 sometimes does not like oem XP processors. THe reason? If you find out let me know. But I dont want you guys to jump through all the hoops that I had to while building my computer. Also, I thought that I was an isolated case but I have found some more people with same issues with AK31.

Regards
Anuj

G

Well, I did try to clear the cmos etc but to no avail. I even got my oem processor tested from microcenter (a local computer store) and they said that it was fine (dont know hot they ran their tests). But as soon as I dropped the retail chip in there, the computer just started off. Unfortunatey others are also having the same problems. Looks like something in the bios. BTW, I was working with XP1800+.
Regards

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
I had the same problem with my Shuttle when I switched from an Athlon 1200 to an Athlon XP 1900+. I had set the multiplier for the 1200 to something specific. When I set the multiplier to "Default" then I was able to boot up with my OEM Athlon XP.

<i>I made you look. But I can't make you see.</i>

G

Unless your XP was unlocked, the multiplier should not have had any effect at all.

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
That was my point ... since the XP is not unlocked, you have to have the multiplier either set correctly or set to "Default." But the multiplier on my board was set for my unlocked T'bird, which was different than what it should have been for the XP. When I reset the multiplier to "Default," then it could boot up.

<i>I made you look. But I can't make you see.</i>

G

I see. Well, glad it worked for you. But mine was set to default throughout (since it was a new mobo and a new processor) and still had the problem. Oh well, ...!!!