eb

I have just bought a Seagate Hard drive to use as the second hard drive
in the system (XP Home).
Does Seagate have a program that allows cloning the original hard drive
to the new drive?
I have looked at the Seagaet site and not found anything relaing to
cloning or copying hard drives.
Thanks.

Yep, Disk Wizard. It was under Support on their website:

http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/drivers/discwiz.html

"EB" <eb@news.net> wrote in message
>I have just bought a Seagate Hard drive to use as the second hard drive in
>the system (XP Home).
> Does Seagate have a program that allows cloning the original hard drive to
> the new drive?
> I have looked at the Seagaet site and not found anything relaing to
> cloning or copying hard drives.
> Thanks.

eb

Tom Scales wrote:
> Yep, Disk Wizard. It was under Support on their website:
>
> http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/drivers/discwiz.html
>

> "EB" <eb@news.net> wrote in message
>
>>I have just bought a Seagate Hard drive to use as the second hard drive in
>>the system (XP Home).
>>Does Seagate have a program that allows cloning the original hard drive to
>>the new drive?
>>I have looked at the Seagaet site and not found anything relaing to
>>cloning or copying hard drives.
>>Thanks.

Thanks Tom.

And it works quite well, even with non-Seagate source or target drives.

.... Ben Myers

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 02:38:04 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

>Yep, Disk Wizard. It was under Support on their website:
>
>http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/drivers/discwiz.html
>

>"EB" <eb@news.net> wrote in message
>>I have just bought a Seagate Hard drive to use as the second hard drive in
>>the system (XP Home).
>> Does Seagate have a program that allows cloning the original hard drive to
>> the new drive?
>> I have looked at the Seagaet site and not found anything relaing to
>> cloning or copying hard drives.
>> Thanks.

eb

Ben Myers wrote:
> And it works quite well, even with non-Seagate source or target drives.
>
> ... Ben Myers
>
> On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 02:38:04 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
>

>>Yep, Disk Wizard. It was under Support on their website:
>>
>>http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/drivers/discwiz.html
>>

>>"EB" <eb@news.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>I have just bought a Seagate Hard drive to use as the second hard drive in
>>>the system (XP Home).
>>>Does Seagate have a program that allows cloning the original hard drive to
>>>the new drive?
>>>I have looked at the Seagaet site and not found anything relaing to
>>>cloning or copying hard drives.
>>>Thanks.

I have looked at The Disk Wisard CD supplied by Seagate, and cannot find
anything that refers to cloning the original drive. Can you indicate
which program does this.
Thanks.

"EB" wrote:

> I have looked at The Disk Wisard CD supplied by Seagate,
> and cannot find anything that refers to cloning the original
> drive. Can you indicate which program does this.

For cloning, you can try free trial versions of True Image
and Casper XP. True Image only does entire HD clones,
and Casper XP can handle individual partitions:

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

http://fssdev.com/products/casperxp/

I use Casper XP since I put the clone onto an archival HD
which contains several clones - each made at various
times. True Image can't do that without making an
intermediate image file and then "restoring" that image
file into a partition on the destination HD.

*TimDaniels*

EB wrote:
> I have looked at The Disk Wisard CD supplied by Seagate, and cannot find
> anything that refers to cloning the original drive. Can you indicate
> which program does this.
> Thanks.

Hello, there.
To my mind the best Clone Hard Disk software is Acronis True
Image[http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/]. It
could almost automaticaly create clone of entire Hard disk or partition
and quickly recover it onto new HDD. Also it doesn't matter what size
of new HDD, it just mustn't be smaller than data space on first HDD.
I really recommend you, so I must say it's truly reliable software (by
my own experience).

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 19:51:14 -0700, "Timothy Daniels"
<TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:

<snip>
> For cloning, you can try free trial versions of True Image
> and Casper XP. True Image only does entire HD clones,
> and Casper XP can handle individual partitions:
>
>http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
>
>http://fssdev.com/products/casperxp/
>
> I use Casper XP since I put the clone onto an archival HD
> which contains several clones - each made at various
> times. True Image can't do that without making an
> intermediate image file and then "restoring" that image
> file into a partition on the destination HD.
>
>*TimDaniels*
I downloaded the 30-day trial of Casper XP. Works a treat on my 9100;
done in 20 minutes. Have set it to clone c: to d: every morning at
3am.

But what happens when c: dies and is not bootable? Can I play in the
BIOS and switch c: and d: around? Must I physically switch them? Can I
boot my WinXP Pro reinstallation CD and work magic with it?

Thanks for any thoughts.

In article <s5jth1p07ml0spei7kpah97pd4mf7ie4pr@4ax.com>,
tom_nospam_ba@pobox.com says...
> On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 19:51:14 -0700, "Timothy Daniels"
> <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
> > For cloning, you can try free trial versions of True Image
> > and Casper XP. True Image only does entire HD clones,
> > and Casper XP can handle individual partitions:
> >
> >http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
> >
> >http://fssdev.com/products/casperxp/
> >
> > I use Casper XP since I put the clone onto an archival HD
> > which contains several clones - each made at various
> > times. True Image can't do that without making an
> > intermediate image file and then "restoring" that image
> > file into a partition on the destination HD.
> >
> >*TimDaniels*
> I downloaded the 30-day trial of Casper XP. Works a treat on my 9100;
> done in 20 minutes. Have set it to clone c: to d: every morning at
> 3am.
>
> But what happens when c: dies and is not bootable? Can I play in the
> BIOS and switch c: and d: around? Must I physically switch them? Can I
> boot my WinXP Pro reinstallation CD and work magic with it?

More concerning, does it actually make a FULL Image of the drive so that
you can remove C and replace it with D and be able to Boot without any
loss of anything?

If it's making an "Image File" instead of making a copy of the C drive
to the D drive, can you restore the Image FILE to another drive, remove
the C drive, insert a new drive (unused) and then somehow restore the
Image File to the new drive and be able to boot as though nothing
changed?

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

<tom_nospam_ba@pobox.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 19:51:14 -0700, "Timothy Daniels"
> <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> For cloning, you can try free trial versions of True Image
>> and Casper XP. True Image only does entire HD clones,
>> and Casper XP can handle individual partitions:
>>
>>http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
>>
>>http://fssdev.com/products/casperxp/
>>
>> I use Casper XP since I put the clone onto an archival HD
>> which contains several clones - each made at various
>> times. True Image can't do that without making an
>> intermediate image file and then "restoring" that image
>> file into a partition on the destination HD.
>>
>>*TimDaniels*
> I downloaded the 30-day trial of Casper XP. Works a treat on my 9100;
> done in 20 minutes. Have set it to clone c: to d: every morning at
> 3am.
>
> But what happens when c: dies and is not bootable? Can I play in the
> BIOS and switch c: and d: around? Must I physically switch them? Can I
> boot my WinXP Pro reinstallation CD and work magic with it?
>
> Thanks for any thoughts.

My brother uses CasperXP as well. If your C:\ boot drive "dies" or isn't
bootable, then just swap the drives and boot to D:\.

Assuming no electronic/mechanical failure on the original source drive, you
could then just copy the "new" boot drive back to the "old" C:\ drive and be
on your way.

I use CompuApps DriveWizard for the same function. It creates a full,
bootable copy of the origin drive and it easy to use - and is small.

Stew

I use Norton Ghost 9.0. It's the only "Norton" branded software I allow on
my computer. Ghost has never failed me (unlike Symantec technical support),
and I didn't pay a dime for it.
--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message

> <tom_nospam_ba@pobox.com> wrote in message
> > On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 19:51:14 -0700, "Timothy Daniels"
> > <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >> For cloning, you can try free trial versions of True Image
> >> and Casper XP. True Image only does entire HD clones,
> >> and Casper XP can handle individual partitions:
> >>
> >>http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
> >>
> >>http://fssdev.com/products/casperxp/
> >>
> >> I use Casper XP since I put the clone onto an archival HD
> >> which contains several clones - each made at various
> >> times. True Image can't do that without making an
> >> intermediate image file and then "restoring" that image
> >> file into a partition on the destination HD.
> >>
> >>*TimDaniels*
> > I downloaded the 30-day trial of Casper XP. Works a treat on my 9100;
> > done in 20 minutes. Have set it to clone c: to d: every morning at
> > 3am.
> >
> > But what happens when c: dies and is not bootable? Can I play in the
> > BIOS and switch c: and d: around? Must I physically switch them? Can I
> > boot my WinXP Pro reinstallation CD and work magic with it?
> >
> > Thanks for any thoughts.
> >

> My brother uses CasperXP as well. If your C:\ boot drive "dies" or isn't
> bootable, then just swap the drives and boot to D:\.
>
> Assuming no electronic/mechanical failure on the original source drive,
you
> could then just copy the "new" boot drive back to the "old" C:\ drive and
be
> on your way.
>
> I use CompuApps DriveWizard for the same function. It creates a full,
> bootable copy of the origin drive and it easy to use - and is small.
>

> Stew

How did you get it for free?

>I use Norton Ghost 9.0. It's the only "Norton" branded software I allow on
> my computer. Ghost has never failed me (unlike Symantec technical
> support),
> and I didn't pay a dime for it.
> --
> Ted Zieglar
> "You can do it if you try."
>
> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> <tom_nospam_ba@pobox.com> wrote in message
>> > On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 19:51:14 -0700, "Timothy Daniels"
>> > <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > <snip>

>> > I downloaded the 30-day trial of Casper XP. Works a treat on my 9100;
>> > done in 20 minutes. Have set it to clone c: to d: every morning at
>> > 3am.
>> >
>> > But what happens when c: dies and is not bootable? Can I play in the
>> > BIOS and switch c: and d: around? Must I physically switch them? Can I
>> > boot my WinXP Pro reinstallation CD and work magic with it?
>> >
>> > Thanks for any thoughts.
>> >

>> My brother uses CasperXP as well. If your C:\ boot drive "dies" or isn't
>> bootable, then just swap the drives and boot to D:\.
>>
>> Assuming no electronic/mechanical failure on the original source drive,
> you
>> could then just copy the "new" boot drive back to the "old" C:\ drive and
> be
>> on your way.
>>
>> I use CompuApps DriveWizard for the same function. It creates a full,
>> bootable copy of the origin drive and it easy to use - and is small.
>>

>> Stew

From time to time Ghost 9.0 is sold for free (after rebates, of course) at
the big box computer/office supply stores such as CompUSA or Staples. Other
places too, I'm sure. Sometimes it's bundled with Partition Magic 8.0 and
the whole thing is free. Or you can get it as part of Norton SystemWorks
Premier, which is similarly offered for free from time to time. At other
times you can find it at the $9.99 price point. The best time to find "free"
Norton software is during income tax season. That's when I would pick up
Norton this and Norton that for nothing.

I used to be a big fan of anything with the name "Norton" on it. Eventually
I gave up on it, for reasons that have been widely discussed. However, Ghost
is unlike other Norton software in that it doesn't gum up the rest of the
machine. And it just works. I know other people hate Ghost, maybe just
because it's from Symantec or maybe for other reasons. OK, to each their
own.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

> How did you get it for free?

> >I use Norton Ghost 9.0. It's the only "Norton" branded software I allow
on
> > my computer. Ghost has never failed me (unlike Symantec technical
> > support),
> > and I didn't pay a dime for it.
> > --
> > Ted Zieglar
> > "You can do it if you try."
> >
> > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> <tom_nospam_ba@pobox.com> wrote in message

> >> My brother uses CasperXP as well. If your C:\ boot drive "dies" or
isn't
> >> bootable, then just swap the drives and boot to D:\.
> >>
> >> Assuming no electronic/mechanical failure on the original source drive,
> > you
> >> could then just copy the "new" boot drive back to the "old" C:\ drive
and
> > be
> >> on your way.
> >>
> >> I use CompuApps DriveWizard for the same function. It creates a full,
> >> bootable copy of the origin drive and it easy to use - and is small.
> >>

> >> Stew

<snip>
>I use CompuApps DriveWizard for the same function. It creates a full,
>bootable copy of the origin drive and it easy to use - and is small.
>

>Stew
I just downloaded the 30-day trial version. As it started the install
it told me: "DriveWizard will block access to you [sic] new
backup/cloned hard drive only after 30 days" [unless you buy].

I stopped the install immediately.

> <snip>
>>I use CompuApps DriveWizard for the same function. It creates a full,
>>bootable copy of the origin drive and it easy to use - and is small.
>>

>>Stew
> I just downloaded the 30-day trial version. As it started the install
> it told me: "DriveWizard will block access to you [sic] new
> backup/cloned hard drive only after 30 days" [unless you buy].
>
> I stopped the install immediately.

What did you expect for a trial? All it is saying is your backups will
expire. If you want them to continue, purchasing the product is reasonable.

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 18:07:22 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

><tom_nospam_ba@pobox.com> wrote in message
>> <snip>
>>>I use CompuApps DriveWizard for the same function. It creates a full,
>>>bootable copy of the origin drive and it easy to use - and is small.
>>>

>>>Stew
>> I just downloaded the 30-day trial version. As it started the install
>> it told me: "DriveWizard will block access to you [sic] new
>> backup/cloned hard drive only after 30 days" [unless you buy].
>>
>> I stopped the install immediately.
>
>What did you expect for a trial? All it is saying is your backups will
>expire. If you want them to continue, purchasing the product is reasonable.
If they'd said the backups would expire, fine, but "...block access to
you(r)... hard drive..." I considered too risky to accept.

> On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 18:07:22 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
> wrote:
>

>><tom_nospam_ba@pobox.com> wrote in message
>>> <snip>

>>> I just downloaded the 30-day trial version. As it started the install
>>> it told me: "DriveWizard will block access to you [sic] new
>>> backup/cloned hard drive only after 30 days" [unless you buy].
>>>
>>> I stopped the install immediately.
>>
>>What did you expect for a trial? All it is saying is your backups will
>>expire. If you want them to continue, purchasing the product is
>>reasonable.
> If they'd said the backups would expire, fine, but "...block access to
> you(r)... hard drive..." I considered too risky to accept.

What CA DW means is that after thirty days the *clone* drive won't be
accessible. The provide the trial so that you can verify the product works
and that a bootable clone can be made.

Stew

> <tom_nospam_ba@pobox.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 18:07:22 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
>> wrote:
>>

>>><tom_nospam_ba@pobox.com> wrote in message

>>>What did you expect for a trial? All it is saying is your backups will
>>>expire. If you want them to continue, purchasing the product is
>>>reasonable.
>> If they'd said the backups would expire, fine, but "...block access to
>> you(r)... hard drive..." I considered too risky to accept.
>>>

> What CA DW means is that after thirty days the *clone* drive won't be
> accessible. The provide the trial so that you can verify the product works
> and that a bootable clone can be made.
>
> Stew

Yes, that's what I think they mean too, but their grammar is a problem.
Cloned means the source drive.

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 13:46:19 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com>
wrote:

><tom_nospam_ba@pobox.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 18:07:22 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
>> wrote:
>>

>>><tom_nospam_ba@pobox.com> wrote in message

>>>What did you expect for a trial? All it is saying is your backups will
>>>expire. If you want them to continue, purchasing the product is
>>>reasonable.
>> If they'd said the backups would expire, fine, but "...block access to
>> you(r)... hard drive..." I considered too risky to accept.
>>>

>What CA DW means is that after thirty days the *clone* drive won't be
>accessible.
<snip>

My problem in a nutshell. Accessible by who. what?? I don't want to
risk ("we told you so...") that the target drive dies. Tom

> On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 13:46:19 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com>
> wrote:
>

>><tom_nospam_ba@pobox.com> wrote in message

>>> If they'd said the backups would expire, fine, but "...block access to
>>> you(r)... hard drive..." I considered too risky to accept.
>>>>

>>What CA DW means is that after thirty days the *clone* drive won't be
>>accessible.
> <snip>
>
> My problem in a nutshell. Accessible by who. what?? I don't want to
> risk ("we told you so...") that the target drive dies. Tom

What we have here is a terminology train-crash, and I'm as guilty as anyone
in the thread.

Put much better: the destination drive (or copy of your boot drive) is
available and accessible for 30 days. Beyond that I'd assume the drive is
not accessible, but can be fully formatted or re-used. I didn't let mine
expire, so I don't know.

When booting to the destination drive, it does present a message at desktop
regarding the time remaining on the trial offer.

Not sure what scenario is worrying you.

Stew

>> I downloaded the 30-day trial of Casper XP. Works a treat on my 9100;
>> done in 20 minutes. Have set it to clone c: to d: every morning at
>> 3am.
>>
>> But what happens when c: dies and is not bootable? Can I play in the
>> BIOS and switch c: and d: around? Must I physically switch them?
>> Can I boot my WinXP Pro reinstallation CD and work magic with it?
>
> More concerning, does it actually make a FULL Image of the drive
> so that you can remove C and replace it with D and be able to Boot
> without any loss of anything?
>
> If it's making an "Image File" instead of making a copy of the C
> drive to the D drive, can you restore the Image FILE to another
> drive, remove the C drive, insert a new drive (unused) and then
> somehow restore the Image File to the new drive and be able to
> boot as though nothing changed?

It's been awhile, but the last time I evaluated CasperXP, it didn't do
images. It copies partitions. Thus, it's not suitable for *backing up*
your OS, but it's good for copying your OS to another hard disk where you're
going to use the new hard disk in place of the old hard disk. Admirably,
it's smart enough to fix the drive letter problems that plague other
imaging/cloning programs, so the copy actually does boot up just like the
original and using the same drive letter as the original. Note that the
copy target may look like "drive D:" to the original disk, but when you swap
the disks and boot the copy, it will boot as "drive C:", not as "D:".

Depending on your bios, you may be able to get away with just switching the
boot order in the bios, while in other systems you may need to physically
swap the disks. It's easy enough to test it to see how your bios works.