Is this a trojan or legitimate Messenger

I have Norton AntiVirus 2005 installed on my machine. In thelog reviewer,
under the Norton Internet Worm activities section, I keep getting this
message in the activities subcomponent of the section:

Details: An instance of "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" is preparing
to access the Internet.

I have unsinstalled MSN Messenger but keeping getting this message. I am
worried that it might be a trojan. I have 3 questions:

1. Is this a legitimate messenger ?
2. Is the file location the correct one or is this spyware or worse a trojan
?
3. What is the difference between Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger ? Are
these the same or different ?

Thanks,

Mark.
5 answers Last reply
More about trojan legitimate messenger

    Sharka wrote:

    > I have Norton AntiVirus 2005 installed on my machine. In thelog reviewer,
    > under the Norton Internet Worm activities section, I keep getting this
    > message in the activities subcomponent of the section:
    >
    > Details: An instance of "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" is preparing
    > to access the Internet.
    >
    > I have unsinstalled MSN Messenger but keeping getting this message. I am
    > worried that it might be a trojan. I have 3 questions:
    >
    > 1. Is this a legitimate messenger ?
    > 2. Is the file location the correct one or is this spyware or worse a trojan
    > ?
    > 3. What is the difference between Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger ? Are
    > these the same or different ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mark.

    Then there's Microsoft Messenger Service, which most users should
    deactivate in Services. Even if you need Messenger Service you should
    use your firewall to block port 135 over the external networking
    connection. Check http://www.grc.com for links to "Shoot the Messenger"
    and the "Shields Up" firewall analysis service. Messenger Service was
    intended as a method for local area network administrators to issue
    brief announcements to the users of other local work stations. the
    messages apper as a simple text box, with no fetures like conversations
    or online contact lists.

    Some antivirus programs feature the ability to scan files and messages
    sent by at least one of the TWO Microsoft instant messenger clients.
    Some of these antivirus programs launch the instant messenger client in
    connection with that feature. You may not be able to completely close
    the instant messenger client until the antivirus program's scan is
    deactivated.

    Some other online applications share libraries with Windows Messenger
    and may become disabled if you uninstall it. Windows Messenger has
    abilities to connect to a local instant messenger server, a feature MSN
    Messenger lacks. MSN Messenger has some added features involving
    notification of new hotmail or msn email messages and more recent video
    and audio conferencing protocols. Both messanger can utilize the same
    Microsoft Passport login and the associated contacts list. Windows
    Messenger is msmsgs.exe. MSN Messenger is msnmsgr.exe. Both applications
    have options on their menu system to deactivate launch when Windows
    starts. Outlook Express also features an option to launch Windows
    Messenger when Outlook Express launches, which you might want to deactivate.

    Hi Robert,

    Thanks for your response. So should the Windows Messenger be located at the
    following location on my machine: C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe ?

    If not, can I assume this file to be a harmful program sending out
    information as I am getting numerous trojan virus attacks being launched from
    my network.

    Mark.

    Sharka wrote:

> [...]
    >>the instant messenger client until the antivirus program's scan is
    >>deactivated.
    >>
    >>Some other online applications share libraries with Windows Messenger
    >>and may become disabled if you uninstall it. Windows Messenger has
    >>abilities to connect to a local instant messenger server, a feature MSN
    >>Messenger lacks. MSN Messenger has some added features involving
    >>notification of new hotmail or msn email messages and more recent video
    >>and audio conferencing protocols. Both messanger can utilize the same
    >>Microsoft Passport login and the associated contacts list. Windows
    >>Messenger is msmsgs.exe. MSN Messenger is msnmsgr.exe. Both applications
    >>have options on their menu system to deactivate launch when Windows
    >>starts. Outlook Express also features an option to launch Windows
    >>Messenger when Outlook Express launches, which you might want to deactivate.

    That should be the default location. Version 4.7.0.3001 should be 1.61 MB

    Greetings Mark,

    Yes this is legitimate; actually it's Norton itself doing this! To stop it, open Norton
    Antivirus (Right-click on the Norton Antivirus icon in the System Tray/Notification Area (by
    the clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'), click Options, then Instant Messenger then
    uncheck MSN Instant Messenger or Windows Messenger (depending on version of Norton) and click
    OK.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    Jonathan Kay [MVP] wrote:
    > Greetings Mark,
    >
    > Yes this is legitimate; actually it's Norton itself doing this! To stop it, open Norton
    > Antivirus (Right-click on the Norton Antivirus icon in the System Tray/Notification Area (by
    > the clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'), click Options, then Instant Messenger then
    > uncheck MSN Instant Messenger or Windows Messenger (depending on version of Norton) and click
    > OK.
    and then goto msn mess options and find the virus scanner thingie, if
    there isnt a value for the path to the proggie, click browse and find
    the thing that has "im" in it in norton folder
    --
    Good Luck,
    Hope I Helped,

    Kieren Evans

Trojan Messenger Norton MSN Messenger Windows XP