Is this a trojan or legitimate Messenger

I have Norton AntiVirus 2005 installed on my machine. In thelog reviewer,
under the Norton Internet Worm activities section, I keep getting this
message in the activities subcomponent of the section:

Details: An instance of "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" is preparing
to access the Internet.

I have unsinstalled MSN Messenger but keeping getting this message. I am
worried that it might be a trojan. I have 3 questions:

1. Is this a legitimate messenger ?
2. Is the file location the correct one or is this spyware or worse a trojan
?
3. What is the difference between Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger ? Are
these the same or different ?

Thanks,

Mark.

Sharka wrote:

> I have Norton AntiVirus 2005 installed on my machine. In thelog reviewer,
> under the Norton Internet Worm activities section, I keep getting this
> message in the activities subcomponent of the section:
>
> Details: An instance of "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" is preparing
> to access the Internet.
>
> I have unsinstalled MSN Messenger but keeping getting this message. I am
> worried that it might be a trojan. I have 3 questions:
>
> 1. Is this a legitimate messenger ?
> 2. Is the file location the correct one or is this spyware or worse a trojan
> ?
> 3. What is the difference between Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger ? Are
> these the same or different ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark.

Then there's Microsoft Messenger Service, which most users should
deactivate in Services. Even if you need Messenger Service you should
use your firewall to block port 135 over the external networking
connection. Check http://www.grc.com for links to "Shoot the Messenger"
and the "Shields Up" firewall analysis service. Messenger Service was
intended as a method for local area network administrators to issue
brief announcements to the users of other local work stations. the
messages apper as a simple text box, with no fetures like conversations
or online contact lists.

Some antivirus programs feature the ability to scan files and messages
sent by at least one of the TWO Microsoft instant messenger clients.
Some of these antivirus programs launch the instant messenger client in
connection with that feature. You may not be able to completely close
the instant messenger client until the antivirus program's scan is
deactivated.

Some other online applications share libraries with Windows Messenger
and may become disabled if you uninstall it. Windows Messenger has
abilities to connect to a local instant messenger server, a feature MSN
Messenger lacks. MSN Messenger has some added features involving
notification of new hotmail or msn email messages and more recent video
and audio conferencing protocols. Both messanger can utilize the same
Microsoft Passport login and the associated contacts list. Windows
Messenger is msmsgs.exe. MSN Messenger is msnmsgr.exe. Both applications
have options on their menu system to deactivate launch when Windows
starts. Outlook Express also features an option to launch Windows
Messenger when Outlook Express launches, which you might want to deactivate.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your response. So should the Windows Messenger be located at the
following location on my machine: C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe ?

If not, can I assume this file to be a harmful program sending out
information as I am getting numerous trojan virus attacks being launched from
my network.

Mark.

Sharka wrote:

> [...]
>>the instant messenger client until the antivirus program's scan is
>>deactivated.
>>
>>Some other online applications share libraries with Windows Messenger
>>and may become disabled if you uninstall it. Windows Messenger has
>>abilities to connect to a local instant messenger server, a feature MSN
>>Messenger lacks. MSN Messenger has some added features involving
>>notification of new hotmail or msn email messages and more recent video
>>and audio conferencing protocols. Both messanger can utilize the same
>>Microsoft Passport login and the associated contacts list. Windows
>>Messenger is msmsgs.exe. MSN Messenger is msnmsgr.exe. Both applications
>>have options on their menu system to deactivate launch when Windows
>>starts. Outlook Express also features an option to launch Windows
>>Messenger when Outlook Express launches, which you might want to deactivate.

That should be the default location. Version 4.7.0.3001 should be 1.61 MB

Greetings Mark,

Yes this is legitimate; actually it's Norton itself doing this! To stop it, open Norton
Antivirus (Right-click on the Norton Antivirus icon in the System Tray/Notification Area (by
the clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'), click Options, then Instant Messenger then
uncheck MSN Instant Messenger or Windows Messenger (depending on version of Norton) and click
OK.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

Jonathan Kay [MVP] wrote:
> Greetings Mark,
>
> Yes this is legitimate; actually it's Norton itself doing this! To stop it, open Norton
> Antivirus (Right-click on the Norton Antivirus icon in the System Tray/Notification Area (by
> the clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'), click Options, then Instant Messenger then
> uncheck MSN Instant Messenger or Windows Messenger (depending on version of Norton) and click
> OK.
and then goto msn mess options and find the virus scanner thingie, if
there isnt a value for the path to the proggie, click browse and find
the thing that has "im" in it in norton folder
--
Good Luck,
Hope I Helped,

Kieren Evans