Socket 7's not running MMX

G

I've got to old socket 7 motherboards. a pcchips M577 (i know pcchips suck) and an Abit something. Both have been flashed with there latest bios's and should support k6-2's (i had a k6-2 450 running in the abit at one stage).

At the moment however neither of the boards will run with any cpu with MMX. I've tried a P100, P120, P133, P150, a P150 clcoked at P166, a P166MMX, P200MMx, k6-2 450 and k6-2 500. With any of the MMX or k6 cpu's when i hit the power i get nothing not even a beep.

The bios has been reset numerous times and the M577 has had had every bios i could find on it.

Was just wondering if anyone knew what was happening or has had the same problem

Thanx

Kidane

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2002
The only thing I can think of is the voltage. Mmx CPUs (I don't know about AMD K6s) need a split plane voltage. 3.3v for the IO and 2.8 for the core. Please correct me if I'm wrong here. I had the same problem, it can't be fixed via the BIOS. You need to shove in a new VRM. It's like this little riser card with a bunch of capacitors and stuff on it. If your mobo doesn't have this card, it's built in and it won't work with split plane CPUs, AMD, Cyrix, whatever.

Hope this helps.

Kidane

Det finns inget dåligt väder - bara dåliga kläder